• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Using a big mystery as a way of telling the story of characters is an actual plot writing device, it's not some lazy writers making it up thing.
I understand it's a device, but it's a shitty one that I have yet to see a TV show that properly pays it off. I can watch any number of tv shows that have any number of quality characters in them. I can say so far through 4 episodes of this, the characters in this show ain't it. The characters in The Leftover weren't it. The characters in Lost weren't even it. Those shows built upon layers of mystery only to pay it off with "the journey was more important than the destination, weren't our characters it tho?!" and I've gotten tired of so many shows promising a destination and only delivering copy/paste characters and canned melodrama.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand it's a device, but it's a shitty one that I have yet to see a TV show that properly pays it off. I can watch any number of tv shows that have any number of quality characters in them. I can say so far through 4 episodes of this, the characters in this show ain't it. The characters in The Leftover weren't it. The characters in Lost weren't even it. Those shows built upon layers of mystery only to pay it off with "the journey was more important than the destination, weren't our characters it tho?!" and I've gotten tired of so many shows promising a destination and only delivering copy/paste characters and canned melodrama.

The journey being the pay off is the whole reason you would use a McGuffin.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this and couldn't make it through episode one. The characters are very unlikeable and the dialogue is awful. I like the setup for the mystery but it doesn't seem like there is any payoff by the end of the season so no reason for me to continue.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've seen ep 1 & 2. Though they were exceptionally poorly shot. The show looks like it was produced by a group of youtubers with gimbals and drones. Also I'm so over these character tropes and stereotypes. I though we had moved on from jocks vs nerds but apparently it's back to the early 00's with this one.
Just started watching the show and figured that I would chime in with my thoughts and this post about summed it up. I disagree with almost everything the OP said.

Kathryn Newton, Sean Berdy and Olivia DeJonge carry the show entirely, everyone else plays a tired teenage archetype that feels like they were pulled off of roles on a planned upcoming season of Degrassi once that got canned only to be placed onto this project. The writing is downright atrocious, filled with bizarre non-sequitors that read like a desperate attempt by a writer's room filled with fifty-something year olds trying to ape teenage prose and social dynamics. I'm on episode three now and that's about two and a half hours worth of content and yet, I feel like I hardly know these characters, their true intentions or the timeline of events as the pacing is noticeably disjointed and nonsensical.

I don't want to dunk on every aspect of the show as there are things to like, namely the moments of chaos erupting or the speculation on the cause of their predicament, it's just that these moments are too scarce when the show seems more concerned with hook-ups, love triangles and ill-placed comedic jaunts that never quite land. It's a show that feels like a blend of Degrassi and The Purge when it should really be like a mix of Annihilation, Alive (1993) and Lord of the Flies but with the injection of the modern day teenage dynamic handled in a more grounded and tactful way that apes the comedic style of something like Lady Bird instead of something like Mean Girls.

I think I'll push forward solely to see the resolution but I can comfortably say that it's not the quality that's keeping me around.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I'll concede that I was wrong about the jocks vs nerds - although I still think the portrayal of high school subculture dynamics is outdated - and sure the show does improve slightly after the first few episodes but the writing and shooting is still borderline atrocious.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Made it only 2 epidodes, it looked so cheaply done and I felt to old, too much teenage dram I didn't care for one bit.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm really enjoying it even if it's certainly not the best thing I've watched this year. I haven't watched a teenage drama in a long time, so there's also that.

The "non-adults having to create a society" concept is always interesting. And I honestly like that they've (so far, on Episode 8) mostly focused on drama and the organizing of West Ham rather than on trying to leave a lot of mystery breadcrumps (which I'm sure will ramp up as I keep watching).

Spoilers up to Episode 8:
They really made it easy for you to hate on fucking Dewey, huh. Although his execution was actually kinda sad to watch. I have little doubt that Cassandra is going to somehow come back though, if not this season, during the next one.

Out of all the characters, I'm surprised about the small amount of screentime Harry has received so far. I think he's got some of the biggest potential in the show, what with his background and his spiralling depression (as much as the whole "I had it all in highschool and now I don't" aspect isn't the most innovative thing ever).

On that, I'm kinda shocked they haven't really pursued the whole love triangle (well, square) as much as it seemed they would early on, at least up until Episode 8. I feel dirty saying this as I'm not one to ever ship characters, and kinda hate that whole culture (or find it funny), but I honestly like Allie with Harry the best if she's to be with another character. I think there's a chance for this relationship to be fun to watch, unlike with, say, Will, who is obviously the sweetest guy, but god, is he boring and his relationship with her cliche.

I'll forever find it funny seeing the Guard being essentially dressed as highschool jocks lol.

Also, do I hate the whole plot thread with Campbell and Elle.
Hopefully it gets a second season (do we know anything?).

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So i started 13 reasons why., was always interested in it based on trailers. And while I like the mistery aspect and I think the lead is quite good., the dialogue a lot of times is very bad . Im on ep 4 atm.
My question how this show compares to 13 reasons?

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
So i started 13 reasons why., was always interested in it based on trailers. And while I like the mistery aspect and I think the lead is quite good., the dialogue a lot of times is very bad . Im on ep 4 atm.
Completely different shows but I personally prefer 13 reasons why

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it today. Quite a good run I'd say.

And
the whole execution played out quite differently than I expected. Didn't expect them to actually go through with it and when they missed and had to do it again was some shit. Like dewey is a horrible person but damn that must suck to hear them reload again to really commit to it.

Sep 28, 2018
So far I do enjoy (5 episodes in) it but I feel like they quickly got over the absolutely crazy situation far too easily... Just ONE set of kids went on an expedition and after a day turned back after a snaked bite and nobody else bothered to go again?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Negatives:
  • The asshole characters' disregard for the situation they are in, particularly Harry's constant sniping at Cassandra. There is being an asshole and antagonistic and then there is being unbelievable in your stupidity and inability to see the seriousness of your situation.
  • "I have gold!"
  • Killing Chloe Levine. What the heck, at least build up her character first.

Harry I think is why I just decided to go watch something else and only watch this if I have nothing better to watch. He just pisses me off way too much and makes the whole show annoying because of him.

I think it really got to me when a group of them start discussing killing Cassandra and even sounded like they were touching on raping her. To be fair not sure Harry was in that <- I watch while doing dishes chores so a lot of what I'm doing is more listening than watching - but I suspect he was in that scene too. Not sure what came of it cause I found a better show I liked better and just decided to not even bother with this show after that

It kinda reminds me of Merlin where I might enjoy the show better (though overall I think I would hvae liked Merlin more, more my type show) except one (or maybe more, in Merlin's case it was one) character is just so unlikeable that I can't stand watching it. In Merlin's case it was ridiculous because they expected me to think the guy was good just good with bad intentions when he was obviously just plain bad. In Harry's case it's like you said.... he's unbelievable how stupid he's being and how he can't even comprehend Cassandra's point that they need to work together (fuck you, got mine. But let's ignore that eventually that won't be enough to save myself and I will need other people's help in this situation).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What the hell. Why are there so many asshole teens on this show? And it's not even like a slow progression. Like once the event happens everyone turns into an asshole within like 48 hours. Even the good kids seem like they might be dicks.

😂

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I promise there was a brittish show with a similar concept but all the adults died due to a virus but the name is slipping me hard right now

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i traveled back in time just to warn people not to watch this show, its pretty awful. watched every single episode although by the end of episode 4 i was pretty much tuning out anytime someone was talking. 90% of the show is just garbage dialogue between angsty teens.

There is absolutely no payoff either, the end just falls flat like a lead balloon. The show is all about YAs and their relationships, the "sci fi hook" has fuck all to do with the show past episode 1. For a much, much better similar show that explores similar concepts infinitely better watch The 100 instead.

The show this resembles most is Under The Dome, and that should send you screaming in the opposite direction.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the season today finally. This is honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Even if the acting and writing weren't atrocious, nothing compelling or interesting happens in this show. It was just 9 episodes of slog full of characters it's nearly impossible to care about, and then they threw a bunch of nonsensical plot noise in during the finale to try and hook you for a 2nd season. Completely unearned turns from almost every character. That 30 second real world tease at the end was a real spit in the face. Everything about this show is about as egregiously offensive to me as possible. They did almost nothing right. I actually feel embarrassed that I asked someone to watch this with me knowing that they weren't going to say no.

My suggestions for season 2 on the 0.00000000000000000000001% chance that anybody responsible for birthing this rot happens upon this humble thread:

1. have the 2 gay boys live out in the turkey field growing crops and living happily ever after
2. drop an H-bomb on the rest of the city

sappyday and PogChamp I want you both to know that I harbor no ill will towards either of you, but I hold you both fully responsible for subjecting me to this and I will never forget it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They're both bad shows, so in that way they're similar lol

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the season today finally. This is honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Even if the acting and writing weren't atrocious, nothing compelling or interesting happens in this show. It was just 9 episodes of slog full of characters it's nearly impossible to care about, and then they threw a bunch of nonsensical plot noise in during the finale to try and hook you for a 2nd season. Completely unearned turns from almost every character. That 30 second real world tease at the end was a real spit in the face. Everything about this show is about as egregiously offensive to me as possible. They did almost nothing right. I actually feel embarrassed that I asked someone to watch this with me knowing that they weren't going to say no.

My suggestions for season 2 on the 0.00000000000000000000001% chance that anybody responsible for birthing this rot happens upon this humble thread:

1. have the 2 gay boys live out in the turkey field growing crops and living happily ever after
2. drop an H-bomb on the rest of the city

sappyday and PogChamp I want you both to know that I harbor no ill will towards either of you, but I hold you both fully responsible for subjecting me to this and I will never forget it.

Hahaha. Upon rereading my post its way more favorable than I thought I wrote.

Well, at least we all get to suffer together now, see you for season 2 buddy

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
i traveled back in time just to warn people not to watch this show, its pretty awful. watched every single episode although by the end of episode 4 i was pretty much tuning out anytime someone was talking. 90% of the show is just garbage dialogue between angsty teens.

There is absolutely no payoff either, the end just falls flat like a lead balloon. The show is all about YAs and their relationships, the "sci fi hook" has fuck all to do with the show past episode 1. For a much, much better similar show that explores similar concepts infinitely better watch The 100 instead.

The show this resembles most is Under The Dome, and that should send you screaming in the opposite direction.
Yeah I dropped this show after 4 episodes, I was just incredibly bored with the show by then. The 100 was definitely better at keeping my attention and the characters felt more real even in a more futuristic setting.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heard some good impressions so decided to check it out and it's been mostly disappointing. The ending was so anticlimactic, I expected a more intense coup.

And I guess the dog means dying in this world brings you back to the old world.

Oct 2, 2018
Currently on episode 6, and I gotta say this is great - I don't know it can go for more than 3 seasons but even though each episode is like an hour, the time doesn't seem like It's filled with filler. Great characters.

Quite interested to see how episode 10 introduces the season finale cliffhanger

Oct 2, 2018
marathoned it over 1 dayish - I've been rather sick so just laid in bed and watched this.

I'm a bit disappointed by episode 10, there's a lack of event and they briefly touched on
the angry latino man, bus driver
but don't delve deeper and the final scene while sort of cool; need to be a lot more wow.

I do like the fact that
dead is seemingly dead
because they're missing for the same amount of time in the real world. so no do-overs.

Need more
death and consequences - not this weak ass coup

The girl who plays the victim girlfriend of the psychopath had a great scene in episode 9. was very strongly performed and moving.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Good God, I strongly disliked this show.

I watched the whole season in a few days with my wife, who really liked it. I kept my dislike to myself to not shit on her enjoyment, but I have to vent, sorry guys.

The Society is a poorly directed, poorly written, poorly acted mess. All the characters except Griz are unlinkable. It took me 5 episodes to recognize who was who among this bland cast, and when I finally did I realized it was for nothing: they all suck.

The show is so slow. Nothing happens for hours, nothing makes sense.
The ending almost manages to be interesting except nothing leading to the coup makes any sense.

But seriously though, all the characters are garbage.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I.... like this. I'm on Episode 9. I really don't think the acting is that bad and the writing and plotting is corny in a way that I enjoy.

Edit: Most unrealistic thing about the show is that they never use phone chargers. When characters wake up their phones are never plugged in. It was really bugging me. Lots of small stupid logistical stuff is handwaved in general though.

Last edited:

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
Netflix has renewed the drama series for a second season. Series creator Chris Keyser will return as showrunner and executive producer on Season 2, with Marc Webb also returning as executive producer. The second season will go into production later this year for a 2020 launch date on Netflix.

I'm so sick of shows I watch getting canceled, so this made me happy and I'm really looking forward to season 2 next year. Now if only Hulu would renew T@gged for a 4th season.