• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Wait, can someone tell me what happened between Baki and Yujiro?

seriously what the fuck was that? They build us up throughout episode 12 big time to what seems like will be an amazing episode 13 fight between the two.

instead, there's a fucking image and everyone's like "whoa!" And then they spend episode 13 reintroducing the same characters in damn near the same way as episode 1 from the previous season?

fuck that. Great season but I don't fuck with bait and switches like that.

There is a big build up before that fight happens.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Kaioh Retsu dies fighting Musashi
Considering how crazy the world of Baki gets I'm not even sure if Retsu will stay dead. I could see them doing something ridiculous like cloning him from the big puddles of sweat he leaves behind when training and then explain the whole thing away through some pseudoscience narration.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
There was an anime in the early 2000's that was 2 season's and covers the beginning of the series when Baki was like 13. The Netflix anime picks up the story where that left off.
So why would I get the dvd if it covers what happened prior to the Netflix show?

I thought there was somewhere I could watch the fight, sorry for the confusion

May 30, 2018
I'm glad someone else is giving Jr. a little credit.

It's not like he's weak. He beat the shit out of a Kaioh and went toe-to-toe with some of the strongest fighters in the Underground Arena - who also thought he could beat Baki, don't forget. Baki himself recognized him - like he said, it took 3 hits to take him out, and most fighters would probably be done after 1.

I think the point of the last few episodes is to make clear the distinction between Jr. and Baki. Superficially they have a lot of similarities, with being pushed by, yet estranged from, their fathers, and being stronger than most of their peers. But as was made clear, Jr. has never had to put his life on the line in a fight. Baki's been doing it since he was a kid. Like you said, he's not ready for that world yet.

Yeah at first I thought it was just comedic, but now that I think on it, I think the point was that all these guys never fight on their best condition, and can be pulled up on at any moment. Like Yujiro to Doppo, all the Team to the Convicts and vice versa etc. Ali Jr was simply not ready for everyone else to get their licks in when he was down and I guess that messed with him.

May 30, 2018
Wait, can someone tell me what happened between Baki and Yujiro?

seriously what the fuck was that? They build us up throughout episode 12 big time to what seems like will be an amazing episode 13 fight between the two.

instead, there's a fucking image and everyone's like "whoa!" And then they spend episode 13 reintroducing the same characters in damn near the same way as episode 1 from the previous season?

fuck that. Great season but I don't fuck with bait and switches like that.

Go in blind and watch the original anime. That's what I did. I only had the knowledge from the Convicts arc, and it was a great watch regardless. It will make their relationship make so much sense

And it will also make the end of episode 12 of this season especially hype.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why would I get the dvd if it covers what happened prior to the Netflix show?

I thought there was somewhere I could watch the fight, sorry for the confusion

Well Baki fights Yujiro in the original anime if you wanted to see that and it gives you a lot of stuff and characters that aren't important for the current anime but return in the future. That and arguably the best tournament in the series is in that part.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
So in this new season

what's up with Ali Jr getting all weird and creepy with baki's gf. I hope this is just a ploy to get Baki to fight him

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Yeah at first I thought it was just comedic, but now that I think on it, I think the point was that all these guys never fight on their best condition, and can be pulled up on at any moment. Like Yujiro to Doppo, all the Team to the Convicts and vice versa etc. Ali Jr was simply not ready for everyone else to get their licks in when he was down and I guess that messed with him.

"Be prepared to fight at any time, anywhere, and in any condition and be ready to put your life on the line to win".

That was pretty much one of the themes of the previous arc. They were going into these fights half mangled, broken bones, skin stripped from flesh, burns, shrapnel wounds, dismemberment and poisoning. Junior has all the ability and probably even greater talent and potential than his father but lacks the mentality needed to be in that world.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The tournament arc was fun but the rest was garbage. I feel like my time has been wasted.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
So if im reading this timeline properly the next season...
will center around a superhuman caveman that gets revived in modern day?

This manga is ridiculous lol

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ali Jr walking away from Yujiro slayed me.

The way they did Ali Jr in the end hurt me as a black man. Got did dirty.

alainochillyuj8d.gif

For real, it's meme-like.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Overall, these 2 seasons have been quite bad. Some really odd pacing and awful animation.

I really wish the animation quality was better. The set up and character are great but the actual fights lack any excitement because its mostly freeze frames.

Alain Jr was done dirty to an extent it wasnt an entertaining watch at all. The season finishes where it gets interesting.

Are the earlier seasons, before the netflix ones, better animated?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Itagaki is really good at:

Drawing combat, hits, bodies and movement
Creating absurd abilities and explanations
Creating bizarre reasons for fights
Creating characters that are interesting to watch fight

Itagaki is really bad at:

Trying to write his characters as people
Romance
Anything involving his characters not fighting, really

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Eight episodes into the latest carnival of stupid, I'm sorry, did this tournament arc just get Teddy Long'd?
80d.gif

I'm still enjoying how dumb this show is but it must always be mentioned just how nonsense it is.
Highlights so far are
- The ultimate technique of lying on the floor and kicking your legs in the air, no joke, my brother would do this to defend himself when we were kids, SO POTENT, unless you leave the room I guess!
- Oliva just pancaking some dude into an accordion shape.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ever since a friend of mine pointed out to me that

nearly every fight involving a Japanese and a non-Japanese fighter has the Japanese fighter coming out on top
, I couldn't help but feel like I don't enjoy Baki as much anymore.

The treatment of Alai Jr. as a character didn't help either. It was downright dogshit to see him getting hyped up that much just for him to end up like that.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
- The ultimate technique of lying on the floor and kicking your legs in the air, no joke, my brother would do this to defend himself when we were kids, SO POTENT, unless you leave the room I guess!

Have you ever seen MMA from the 90s? There were no forced stand ups and the technique is legitimately effective.
Even in more recent fights you can still see some of this:
6.gif

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever seen MMA from the 90s? There were no forced stand ups and the technique is legitimately effective.
Even in more recent fights you can still see some of this:
6.gif
Damn, you're ruining the hilarity for me, I should've known it was an actual thing!
The magaka may be bat shit crazy but he appears to know his stuff when it comes to combat, maybe, I think.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
m5.png

Considering how Paru draws her dad, I have a feeling Itagaki might not have been the best father.

Also he's a fucking lunatic for the way he "prepares" his beer.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Damn, you're ruining the hilarity for me, I should've known it was an actual thing!
The magaka may be bat shit crazy but he appears to know his stuff when it comes to combat, maybe, I think.

He is clearly a big fan of Vale Tudo/MMA/kakutougi.
This guy "Dave" that trained with Ali Jr. is clearly Wanderlei Silva
latest

wf7lAdeEnpjraob7bWXS501BKDgnhhlpL48x_L.jpg

There are tons of fanservice like that.

All that happened to the Kaiohs is more or less whats been happening to the traditional chinese kung fu masters lately, except there are no Kaioh Retsu's to be found.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since a friend of mine pointed out to me that

nearly every fight involving a Japanese and a non-Japanese fighter has the Japanese fighter coming out on top
, I couldn't help but feel like I don't enjoy Baki as much anymore.

The treatment of Alai Jr. as a character didn't help either. It was downright dogshit to see him getting hyped up that much just for him to end up like that.

Oh yeah this show is very much a power fantasy for Japanese post-war insecurities.

Like, it's laced with it in every aspect.

That said people also survive getting their faces ripped off and its complete absurd, so I kinda allow it?

However, the Ali story this season was too much for me.
It would have been one thing if Ali actually put up a fight in the end, but he didn't he walked in and got his ass whopped like it was nothing. The weird cuckey undertones just felt creepy. I don't wanna assume too much about Itagaki, but he definitely lets his weird inferiority complex get the best of him.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ali jr got dumped because the readers didn't like him. It's probably a good thing considering what happens to a lot of the seemingly incredible fighters later on.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
just finished the latest season, ain't have to do him like that bruh.....RIP Ali Jr.

I always enjoy Jack Hammer fights so I was fine with that lost but but then they lead you down this path of bringing him to his lowest point so you think he'll have a comeback and then Baki just finishes stealing his soul on some Shang Tsung shit. I feel like I got punked, turns out that whole thing was just to hype Baki as finally being ready to face Yujiro lol.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just finished season 1 of Dorohedoro (serioulsy, watch it. Very good) and daaamn it's really rough to go back to Baki (S2). That change in animation/art quality is like going from a 1st party PS4 game to a bad PS2 one.

Hope it's worth going through the rest of the seasons.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
He is clearly a big fan of Vale Tudo/MMA/kakutougi.
This guy "Dave" that trained with Ali Jr. is clearly Wanderlei Silva
latest

wf7lAdeEnpjraob7bWXS501BKDgnhhlpL48x_L.jpg

There are tons of fanservice like that.

All that happened to the Kaiohs is more or less whats been happening to the traditional chinese kung fu masters lately, except there are no Kaioh Retsu's to be found.

LMFAO, I knew it was Wand when I saw that scene. I love all the references to real fighters and pro wrestlers. There's tons in the old seasons.

and damn did Alai Jr get jobbed out hard. Overall, it was a good season, but the fights were pretty much squash matches this arc.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching this mostly out of context because my nephew is using my Netflix. What the fuck is up with Ali Jr? Am I missing something? He's trying to get Baki's girl by beating him in a fight or something? It's really creepy.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
CSy9wel.jpg

Loved this latest season. I am currently watching the original series. It is absolutely wild to see Baki at age 13 and how he looks/behaves compared to now. I understand Baki's relationships a lot more now.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
FInished watching it with a friend and he could not understand why Jr got played like that.

I wish they could of explained it better why Jr loss so badly, and better yet call him crazy for even accepting the fight with Baki in the first place. Jr is the better fighter in martial arts sports by any measure, but he completely falls apart in underground fighting with no rules. He was never going to win and Baki ended it quick before Jr could be a legitimate threat which is the smart play. It would have been completely unrealistic if he actually put up a fight with 0-3 record fighting with no rules.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Am I remembering right or the karate dude who fought Doyle and got all his hair and skin burnt really had a complete recovery at the end of the season?

This series is ridiculous.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CSy9wel.jpg

Loved this latest season. I am currently watching the original series. It is absolutely wild to see Baki at age 13 and how he looks/behaves compared to now. I understand Baki's relationships a lot more now.

I'm shocked at how much of an arrogant shit Baki is at 13. Can't wait to see what he goes through to be the weird mellow dude of the Netflix series.

I'm only two episodes in and I'm already regret shitting on the animation of the Netflix series. The 2001 anime gets rough at some points.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So are they going to introduce Pickle? It's crazy how zany Baki gets as the story went on. Full on resurrection is just nuts lol.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up folks Baki is gonna be a guest character in a videogame...and of all the games its FITNESS BOXING for Switch.

No I'm not joking.

Full Article below.
www.siliconera.com

Fitness Boxing Gets Muscular With Baki the Grappler Collaboration

A Baki the Grappler collaboration has been announced for Fitness Boxing, and players must punch one million times to achieve the goal.

Exercise till your back muscles form the face of a demon with your switch!

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope netflix keeps funding it, it was lovely from start to finish and better than the last season. The music is hot trash next the original series but the direction is pretty damn good. Animation never really hit the highs of a bunch of eps from the original series but it's definitely more consistent.