• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I...

• Have my own Netflix

Votes: 278 33.5%
  • Use my friend's/family's Netflix

Votes: 208 25.1%
  • Share my Netflix with others

Votes: 164 19.8%
  • Will keep Netflix

Votes: 122 14.7%
  • Will sign up to Netflix

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Will cancel Netflix

Votes: 250 30.2%
  • Thar: The Dark World (Obviously I don't pirate, but I think this might lead to more piracy)

Votes: 134 16.2%

• Total voters

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Got the email. We'll see what happens. I think the crappiest part is there's no single screen 4k plan.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not enough receipts of people posting their cancellations. In all seriousness I wonder when the actual button is getting pushed. Imagine Netflix never actually does anything and it's just this email. 😂

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I will 100% not be paying an additional $8 for a streaming service that provides almost no shows I actually want to watch anymore.

Service has become a fucking joke.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I think I know more people who subscribe to IPTV services than Netflix now, which is a scary thing for the industry. We have Netflix tied to our Sky TV account, and I think it is contracted, so it will be interesting to see if we get the email. Nothing yet.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be holding on until they kick me off. Will watch a movie a day in their honor as I go down with the ship.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix used to be the streaming service I kept every month just to have around.

The cancelled 1 season shows. The cheap reality shows appearing on the service. Other new streaming services taking content that used to be on Netflix. The price hikes.

I'll subscribe again, but I'll binge for that month then cancel just like I do with all the other streaming services. Now, especially with the 2+ year gaps between season of their shows Netflix will be LUCKY if I subscribe one month once a year.

10 years down the drain. I'd rather dust off my DVD player and boot up those old Seinfeld discs.

Fuck netflix.
Everybody should just rip their existing DVDs and put them on a personal Plex or a Jellyfin media server. Make every streaming service's back catalog meaningless if you can, and if you have the physical media to do it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm keeping it for now as I sub only to one service period. I let my sister use it but no way in hell am I paying an extra $8 just to share. I'll wait for her to complain lol.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
so if you regularly(once or twice/week) connect to the home network of the subsciber with a device, can you still use Netflix on that device when you're not on the designated home network?

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Oh well. At least they timed it well for me. I've been sharing a premium subscription with three friends the last four-five years. We have it set up, so I pay the sub every month and my friends pay me in advance twice a year(January and July). So we're just dropping the subscription from next month and I don't need to pay my friends back.

So long, Netflix

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I cancelled a few months back when they committed to doing this. Have to say, I really don't miss them.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
How does this work/how do they detect these cases?

I mean if they allow using Netflix when on vacation, it must not be based on the (public) IP address of the user, correct?

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
Also got the e-mail this morning in The Netherlands. It's €3,99 for an additional user. Cheaper than other places but still meh.

I just want a 1/2 screen 4K option

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The device you use will probably have accessed Netflix on your home network within the last thirty days, or you can ask for a two week vacation code.

I'm still curious how they're actually identifying said home network. Is the tutorial only talking about the TV app because that's the most common way to access Netflix or does it not actually work in a browser? Not including all options seems like an odd omission.

What? Lol.

They absolutely did and still do, that was my plan before I canceled today.

I think they mean that the 4 screens option was always supposed to be 4 screens in the same household. (I agree with you that this was never really clear unless you read the terms and conditions though).

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
720p is good enough quality to watch garbage like Selling Sunset.

I downgraded from the 4K plan to the 720 plan a while ago (when the crackdown was announced) and i couldn't care less.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I think the crappiest part is there's no single screen 4K plan.

Boggles the mind this hasn't happened yet, and would remove the hoopla over the two/four shared screens bobbins.

My partner shares her account with her Mum, brother and a university friend, all of whom live in different households so, this is going to make us all think twice going forward.

To be honest, we are perfectly happy with Disney+ (especially the Star content) and Apple TV+ that we have had for free for at least three years now.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
So at the moment in the UK I pay around £14 a month for the premium edition, with a couple of friends using my account, am I now going to have to start paying 19 a month?

Fuck that

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
So at the moment in the UK I pay around £14 a month for the premium edition, with a couple of friends using my account, am I now going to have to start paying 19 a month?

Fuck that
Correction, it's £5 per additional member. So if your friends live at different addresses or even have separate profiles, it's £14+5+5 at minimum.

But indeed Fuck That. I'm not happy to downgrade to 720p or 1080p at the price they charge and only find 4k affordable since we share our 4 screens with my parents. We've had an ongoing subscription since around 2014, but with this and the constant price rises, we're done with it. There's enough other providers who offer a better service for cheaper, and the few shows that are Netflix exclusives we'll wait for a few to come out, sub for a month then binge them. If they were to offer a single screen 4k membership at a "reasonable price", we might go for it again, but it's absurd they STILL tie resolution to how many screens you get and price it accordingly.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people who are paying members are canceling their subs. Do only those you share a password with use the Netflix account? Ya'll don't? If so, why are you even paying for it to begin with?

Because they don't have the value in the pricing to make it worthwhile for only them to use it? I don't share my account but I cancelled due to the fact they want me to jump through hoops to use it when I'm away from home which I'm not going to do. Others who share their account may absolutely do so under the idea that they share the cost with family members to make it worthwhile, Netflix nuked that price to value ratio by wanting them to pay more so they may decide it isn't worth the price now.

That's how it worked for my in laws. My sister in law split the cost of Netflix with my brother in law and my mother in law, that pricing option is now gone so they've cancelled their account. They have limited time for shows and they're more than happy with the other options for streaming they have that aren't charging what Netflix is even before this change.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't got the email yet but I'm sure it'll come soon
Going to have to wrangle £10 extra a month from folk now ffs

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people who are paying members are canceling their subs. Do only those you share a password with use the Netflix account? Ya'll don't? If so, why are you even paying for it to begin with?

"I don't understand why you're unsubscribing just because you feel the service got worse."

Netflix is well within their rights to force people to pay for sharing passwords. But customers are also free to unsubscribe if they don't like it. In fact, that is their only recourse. Asking "why are you unsubscribing" is effectively suggesting Netflix should be allowed to do something unpopular basically without even the tiniest loss in subs.

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
1-1280.a210123b.png

So Germany got the Mails too. Still find 5€ kind of passable. But overall still a shitty thing to do. Lets see when they come for my Turkey Account. When I need to start charging my family for the use it. Still got enough content out of netflix to pay the price.

MorningDew

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't subscribed to Netflix for a couple of years but was considering it again. Regarding the household agreement, one issue I see is with a child who is away at college. They're at school for 8 months of the year so they don't have the ability to check in every 30 days. That sucks.

A lot of people in this thread are cost conscious but you would be surprised how many people are not. I have a friend who was paying close to $300/month for their cable/internet/phone package and only recently changed their plan to reduce costs. I will bet there will be a significant number of people who will just pay it.

At the moment I have AppleTV, Amazon, and HBO and I can't keep up with these services.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I desperately hope this backfires and they haemorrhage numbers.

I canceled 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything tbh

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i'm in australia; amazingly i haven't received the email (we usually get stung the first + have some of the highest fees in the world). i'll be tapping out when it does arrive.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I honestly would sign up if they offered a cheaper 4k plan but I don't wanna pay $20 for a service that most of the time doesn't offer anything I want to watch so I think i'll be just fine without.

Jan 29, 2018
I watched the last episode of The Diplomat on my in-laws' account last night so I'm good for a while if my access goes away. I have no problem resubscribing when something I want to watch comes along though.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
How does this work if you travel to an Airbnb and sign in on their smart TV? Is that blocked now too?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I watched the last episode of The Diplomat on my in-laws' account last night so I'm good for a while if my access goes away. I have no problem resubscribing when something I want to watch comes along though.
This has to be the next area they try to focus in on. Preventing people from just subscribing for a month and binging 3-4 months of shows they actually want to watch.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I will bet there will be a significant number of people who will just pay it.

This would be my parents if they weren't retired and paying attention. They used to just let their cable bill ride along but now that my dad's retired, he's got the time to call and argue his bill down. He hates doing it, but he's got nothing better to do.

Kinda/sorta same with Netflix. It's just the two of them, but they paid for the $20 tier as a "gift" for their grandkids (my kids). With this implemented, they quite literally get nothing out of it, as they only watch things on one TV together as is, and 4K is not something they notice or care about. I'm sure Netflix wants them to keep paying for that top tier though, as I saw only instructions on the first page to add a separate household and not a means to downgrade to a lower tier.

And like, it's whatever. If my kids miss Netflix enough, I'll buy the basic or ad-tier (they're used to ads via Pluto anyway). But I made sure to educate my parents on how to downgrade their subscription (because Netflix sure didn't want to highlight that option). Just weird that instead of keeping a $20 sub going in perpetuity that's logged in from two locations is now a sub at $10 (or $7) in perpetuity and another that's only subbed in every now and then (which will be mine). I know my situation is probably an outlier as they're focused on people sharing with a LOT more people or something.

ThatsMacky

Oct 25, 2017
Does using a Chromecast count as using it on a TV to trigger the warning?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm Canadian and have been accessing Netflix through my Chromecast at home and through the Tizen OS at my parents place and have never received any notifications or warnings. The account is mine and just share it with my parents. No warings on my phone either.

Edit: I live in the same city as my parents, but in a different neighbourhood, incase that has any effect.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think they mean that the 4 screens option was always supposed to be 4 screens in the same household. (I agree with you that this was never really clear unless you read the terms and conditions though).
Disagree. It's long been common knowledge that it's for one household, and that it's been in the ToU for many years, and it's also on the Pricing page. Just look at threads like this e,g., where you get a lot of people complaining, but notice the lack of posts saying, "Whaaaaat? I never knew this was a one household thing? Where have they ever said that???"

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Really, you want to compare to VHS days? OK. Blockbuster used to charge $3 rental for a single movie for a single night, which would be over $5 inflation adjusted by now. And you'd need to get to the store and back. For a single movie. To buy a new VHS movie would be about $50 inflation adjusted. This is potentially an additional $8 for a month of access to hundreds of shows and movies.

What are you going on about, re fair practices? It's always been for one household. Adults in another house no longer getting a service for free means "corporate greed", what? The entitlement is off the charts.

100% agree

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If you haven't used Netflix for even more than a month - just cancel the thing. If a show comes out, you can easily resubscribe if you need to.

There's no reason to hold these subscriptions if you're not watching them.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. It's long been common knowledge that it's for one household, and that it's been in the ToU for many years, and it's also on the Pricing page. Just look at threads like this e,g., where you get a lot of people complaining, but notice the lack of posts saying, "Whaaaaat? I never knew this was a one household thing? Where have they ever said that???"

View: https://twitter.com/netflix/status/840276073040371712

shoulda been "love is sharing a password with someone who lives in your same geolocated household"

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I successfully finished everything I was gonna watch. There is a hellava lot of good stuff that I have watched from Nexflix over the years but between this, general stagnation, and them doing stuff like platforming Chapelle it makes the decision not to resub pretty easy. Also for some reason I just don't feel like this is going to lead to an uptick in more worthwhile content 🤷 Maybe they will prove me wrong (they won't lol)

I haven't subscribed to Netflix for a couple of years but was considering it again. Regarding the household agreement, one issue I see is with a child who is away at college. They're at school for 8 months of the year so they don't have the ability to check in every 30 days. That sucks.

A lot of people in this thread are cost conscious but you would be surprised how many people are not. I have a friend who was paying close to $300/month for their cable/internet/phone package and only recently changed their plan to reduce costs. I will bet there will be a significant number of people who will just pay it.

At the moment I have AppleTV, Amazon, and HBO and I can't keep up with these services.

Yes I do think they are hoping that people are too lazy to stop subscribing. And for the time being they are probably right, I don't actually see a major cancellation over this particular thing. However, I do think this is going to make them less and less relevant long term, with occasional spikes for their most popular shows like Stranger Things and Squid Games.

Moreover, I think other businesses are waiting to see how bad the fallout from this is or is not. Some streaming services might go along with it, some might take a "doing what Netflix doesn't" approach instead.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
If you haven't used Netflix for even more than a month - just cancel the thing. If a show comes out, you can easily resubscribe if you need to.

There's no reason to hold these subscriptions if you're not watching them.

That is how I do it with everything but NetFlix and Prime. I will stob subbing to Peacock when the Premier League season ends, and I'm currently on a week's free trial of Paramount+ so I can watch Scream VI, D&D, and Picard season 3.

But NetFlix has enough stuff on there that it has never made sense for us to unsub. My wife's profile has so many International shows I never would have seen otherwise, it's like it's a whole different service.