• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's not over for Daredevil yet. On Netflix sure, but apparently Charlie Cox's contract says he could also appear in movies if Marvel would want that. Also some interesting tweets are being talked here. Interesting video!

This is making a lot of nothing. And FFS needing to listen to 5 minute video of something I could read in 2 minutes is annoying as hell

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's not over for Daredevil yet. On Netflix sure, but apparently Charlie Cox's contract says he could also appear in movies if Marvel would want that. Also some interesting tweets are being talked here. Interesting video!

This seems like grasping at straws. Yeah there's something in actors' contracts about being able to use them for movies, but that's probably just boilerplate for Marvel. They're always going to make people commit to cameos and secondary appearances whenever possible.

"The Daredevil character will live on in other projects from Marvel." Yep, Daredevil will definitely live on in comic books.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that Punisher has a different situation because it was started separately from the initial shows, instigated by Netflix

I don't think so, Daredevil was the only show I really thought had a chance. even if it wasn't all that profitable under the Disney deal or whatever, I assumed it would hold on as a prestige title, even if the other Marvel shows got canned. I was wrong.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
https://ew.com/tv/2018/12/17/daredevil-netflix-cancellation-marvel/

Actress Amy Rutberg, who played Marci Stahl in the show, told Inverse last week that the show's cancellation was purely a Netflix decision.

"My contacts at Marvel were very surprised," Rutberg said. "Any of the rumors that it was a Marvel decision are wrong, I think it was purely a Netflix decision. That comes from personal conversations with people high up at Marvel. They were surprised … We had heard rumors we would start production as early as February 2019. It's a little unusual to be that far ahead in the planning and cancel the show, which makes me think Netflix was laboring over whether or not to cancel it. My guess was it was not an easy decision."

This sucks.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Was DD S3 quite popular? Or was it just popular among the people who were still watching it?
Apparently Season 3 had less than half the opening viewers of season 2. Here's another source saying the same thing.

Going by all the other accounts, it really does seem like this was a business decision -- Marvel is probably pretty bummed given that they don't get the licensing fees or recognition for having a cool show/property, is locked out of character rights by and large until the 2 year time limit on the character rights (sans DD himself) is up, the cast is out on their asses, the fans are screwed, and Netflix loses yet another good property. The numbers just weren't good enough, and the show wasn't sustainable enough to justify the contract, the same as the others.

It's a real shame.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Season 3 had less than half the opening viewers of season 2. Here's another source saying the same thing.

Going by all the other accounts, it really does seem like this was a business decision -- Marvel is probably pretty bummed given that they don't get the licensing fees or recognition for having a cool show/property, is locked out of character rights by and large until the 2 year time limit on the character rights (sans DD himself) is up, the cast is out on their asses, the fans are screwed, and Netflix loses yet another good property. The numbers just weren't good enough, and the show wasn't sustainable enough to justify the contract, the same as the others.

It's a real shame.

Well. Netflix Marvel started with a bang and then it just kept getting watered down.

Daredevil made the Hand this amazing mysterious group and then Iron Fist and Defenders threw it down the toilet.

I loved DD3. But I think for the casual viewer the Marvel shows killed the brand due to mediocrity. It's really too bad. I don't care for the other shows bit DD4 I was expecting.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Daredevil made the Hand this amazing mysterious group and then Iron Fist and Defenders threw it down the toilet

Who picks the showrunners?

There's only one reason you hire Scott Buck and whomever did Defenders and it's not quality.

If Marvel did the scripts and overall show they only have themselves to blame.

Although with Disney+ coming they had no real incentive wanting Netflix to renew.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018

There's only one reason you hire Scott Buck and whomever did Defenders and it's not quality.

Marco Ramirez showran Defenders. He wrote 7 episodes of Defenders and produced Season 2 of Daredevil, and previous had come off writing 6 episodes of Daredevil between both seasons and a few other things (2 eps of Orange is the New Black, a bunch of episodes of Sons of Anarchy, etc).

His being picked for Defenders wasn't so much a "we need someone to deliver this on time and below budget" like Scott Buck as much as it was someone already working on the property being moved up.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017

If Marvel did the scripts and overall show they only have themselves to blame.

Although with Disney+ coming they had no real incentive wanting Netflix to renew.

This all really is the result of the internal fight in Marvel between Ike Perlmutter and Kevin Feige. Once Kevin Feige got control of Marvel Studios and the movie side the TV side was left to rot with the penny pinching despicable human being Ike Perlmutter. As for Disney+ none of the Netflix Marvel shows as they currently are would even be able to be put on Disney+ because of content reasons.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Were they, really? Do we have actual proof that Daredevil got cancelled because Disney wanted to?
Yes, they were, they've both been in production (Punisher is done now, releasing January) for many months before Netflix started cancelling things. And all signs point to Netflix cancelling Daredevil, not the slightest one being that they have rights to cancellation, it's their decision.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yes, they were, they've both been in production (Punisher is done now, releasing January) for many months before Netflix started cancelling things. And all signs point to Netflix cancelling Daredevil, not the slightest one being that they have rights to cancellation, it's their decision.

Yes, that's what I thought. The guys above were talking about low views, so that must have been it. It must not be cheap to maintain a Marvel license.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Yes, that's what I thought. The guys above were talking about low views, so that must have been it. It must not be cheap to maintain a Marvel license.
That's about right, as far as we can tell. A big part of the issue seems to be that Netflix wanted shorter seasons (less cost for them) and Disney did not (less money for them), and Netflix didn't want to play ball anymore when they could have series that were fully theirs to own.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's about right, as far as we can tell. A big part of the issue seems to be that Netflix wanted shorter seasons (less cost for them) and Disney did not (less money for them), and Netflix didn't want to play ball anymore when they could have series that were fully theirs to own.

You think Netflix can hold on their own with only original products in the near future? I wonder if Disney's streaming service can top them.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
You think Netflix can hold on their own with only original products in the near future? I wonder if Disney's streaming service can top them.
Well, their own content, plus the things they licensed (like the $100 million they spent to keep Friends for another year!), as they've been doing all along. Disney+ won't ever eclipse Netflix on its own, the product is not diverse enough. The entire package (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+) once they get going worldwide? That's going to be a tough one.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Disney could buy out the contracts if they wanted to. It would have to be worth the money though, and it wouldn't be worth it without significant changes to how these show are produced.