• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not following ? my point is someone else can come along and play the same role and play it well. My example works nicely .

Someone can. But there's also an equal chance that the person they bring in is mediocre or a bad fit and the whole thing tanks, which is what happened with the Garfield Spider-movies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not following ? my point is someone else can come along and play the same role and play it well. My example works nicely .

That you totally ignored there was a guy in between Maguire and Holland indicates we shouldn't have a lot of faith in whoever next plays Daredevil or Kingpin or whoever. Maybe we should have faith in whoever plays them AFTER that next actor, lol. :p

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone can. But there's also an equal chance that the person they bring in is mediocre or a bad fit and the whole thing tanks, which is what happened with the Garfield Spider-movies.

Of course. I'm just saying give Disney a chance before you dismiss versions of characters you've liked in the past. But again watch what you wanna watch.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a rough 2-3 years but it'll be interesting to see what Netflix recovers with between all the other deals it has pursued to bring new comic shows to Netflix.

The only comic show I watch is Lucifer, which Netflix rescued from Fox, so I'm happy as a clam but I think in 4+ years the world will look very different, TV wise, and I think it will be better with tighter, more integrated MCU comic shows on Disney+, more varied stuff on Netflix and Amazon, and whatever CW is doing. I also wonder if all the DC properties will find a more stable and richer home base other than CW.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That you totally ignored there was a guy in between Maguire and Holland indicates we shouldn't have a lot of faith in whoever next plays Daredevil or Kingpin or whoever. Maybe we should have faith in whoever plays them AFTER that next actor, lol. :p

Still not getting your point.

Norton to Ruffalo was another one. I remember the internet bitching about a recasting then the movie came out and realized that ruffalo was way better anyway.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
I watched the first 2 seasons of Daredevil and the first of Jessica Jones but found them to be a bit of a slog to sit through. Like they got 13 episode orders and had to pad everything out to hit that episode count. At the very least I'd hope Disney+ kind of tidies their Marvel content up since it's going to be competing against their own Star Wars shows for attention.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
How I would love to be able to see the collective faces of Resetera when Netflix informs them that their slate of Mark Millar projects will be replacing all of their Marvel series over the next 12 months.

Incidentally I hear that internally Netflix refers to that Millar slate of projects as 'MillarUniverse' with even the internal emails, memos etc being branded as 'NetflixMU'.

That's true, I did hear good things about Cloak & Dagger.

Oh god I forgot about the Millar Universe.

What is going to be the first show/movie from that?

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Put the Defenders in the MCU now. If anybody can spin straw into gold and make Iron Fist look cool on camera, it's The Russos.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah I thought he was passable in that version of Peter Parker. Sony made a terrible second film though

That's my point. That whoever comes next as Daredevil or Kingpin may not be able to measure up to Cox or D'Onofrio. But maybe whoever plays Daredevil or Kingpin AFTER those next guys might have a chance, lol. :p

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They farmed off DD, LC, JJ and IF to Netflix and MarvelTV because Disney had no plans to use those characters for the foreseeable future.

Hopefully the show repaired the damage to the character that Affleck did and Disney will bring DD back in some form in the future. I doubt it will be the big screen though.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's my point. That whoever comes next as Daredevil or Kingpin may not be able to measure up to Cox or D'Onofrio. But maybe whoever plays Daredevil or Kingpin AFTER those next guys might have a chance, lol. :p

Right but my point is the next guy could be great lol! We don't know. I'm just saying give Disney a crack at these characters before anyone dismisses that there's no way Netflix could be outdone.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Right but my point is the next guy could be great lol! We don't know. I'm just saying give Disney a crack at these characters before anyone dismisses that there's no way Netflix could be outdone.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think we need to be honest here. Whoever next takes up these roles will be heavily scrutinized. A lot of people liked the Marvel Netflix cast, and a number of those people clearly think they were done dirty.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That Deadline article should really kill the speculation that this is all a power move by Disney to bring these shows to their platform. Seems clear that there are just a lot of tensions between Netflix and Marvel TV on costs, episode orders, ownership, etc. and Netflix today doesn't need Marvel in the same way they needed them five years ago.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think we need to be honest here. Whoever next takes up these roles will be heavily scrutinized. A lot of people liked the Marvel Netflix cast, and a number of those people clearly think they were done dirty.

Pretty much. This whole thing basically ended with a pissing match between Marvel and Netflix and the stories and characters are now suffering because of it. I don't want either of them to benefit off of this move - both Marvel and Netflix are in the wrong here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Season 3 was phenomenal. It felt kind of done though.

Also fuck removing the red suit because "I've moved past what that suit represented".

Apr 19, 2018
Damn this is such a blow, and an ominous confirmation that none of the Netflix Marvel shows are safe anymore. But at least Daredevil went out on top.

I assume Punisher Season 2 is still a go? I so want to see if they can pull off the Suicide Run arc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Damn this is such a blow, and an ominous confirmation that none of the Netflix Marvel shows are safe anymore. But at least Daredevil went out on top.

I assume Punisher Season 2 is still a go? I so want to see if they can pull off the Suicide Run arc.

Punisher S2 and JJ S3 are already in production or in post, so yeah, they're happening. Then they're dead too.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Really bums me out. Netflix Marvel was part of the reason I kept Netflix for a while. I also like it overall better than MCU. It was a helluva thing for a while, but seeing it all just end so abruptly really sucks. Hope JJ and Punisher can end things on a high note anyway.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
so uuh im on episode 4 of the new season, should I even bother? does the season end as a satisfying series finale?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
so uuh im on episode 4 of the new season, should I even bother? does the season end as a satisfying series finale?

Kinda. The way the season ends certainly functions as an endgame, but the show also could've gone on pretty easily if they wanted it to. You can finish the season and you won't be mad about it the way most people were with the way Iron Fist S2 ended.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I think so. There's one thing that could've continued on into a S4 (and even now it works as a "and the story goes on" sort of thing imo) but otherwise it does end up really working as a series finale.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
This really sucks. Some of these shows are pretty much the only decent thing produced by marvel studios.

At least Punisher season 2 is finished :/

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm actually a bit more annoyed about the lack of luke cage season 3 or iron fist season 3. Daredevil ended well. It works. Neither of the other two's endings work as well.

Oct 25, 2017
That Deadline article should really kill the speculation that this is all a power move by Disney to bring these shows to their platform. Seems clear that there are just a lot of tensions between Netflix and Marvel TV on costs, episode orders, ownership, etc. and Netflix today doesn't need Marvel in the same way they needed them five years ago.

You think disney wouldn't be playing hardball in order to get netflix to come to this decision? They've shown multiple times in the past that they're willing to burn it all to the ground to hamper the competition.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, i think this is a mistake by netflix, even if they canceled all the other marvel series, they should've kept daredevil. The series still had plenty of places to go and to explore, while being as closely associated with the netflix brand as can be, at least to me.

Its surprising and disappointing and leaves a hole on netflix's original programming, im curious to see how they plan to replace the lack of marvel shows

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
well, i think this is a mistake by netflix, even if they canceled all the other marvel series, they should've kept daredevil. The series still had plenty of places to go and to explore, while being as closely associated with the netflix brand as can be, at least to me.

Its surprising and disappointing and leaves a hole on netflix's original programming, im curious to see how they plan to replace the lack of marvel shows

Apparently, Mark Millar shows. Unless people earlier in the thread were just fucking around.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You think disney wouldn't be playing hardball in order to get netflix to come to this decision? They've shown multiple times in the past that they're willing to burn it all to the ground to hamper the competition.
Disney has shown multiple times they're willing to destroy their own properties to spite competitors?

I'm just reading what the trades are saying, and I don't think I've seen a single one yet report that this is Disney's doing to benefit their own streaming service. All the insider reports so far have been pretty consistent that these cancellations have been Netflix's decision, and made because of issues with cost, scripts, conflicts with Marvel TV and just overall being in a different business situation than they were in 2013. For instance, their shift from licensed content to original content has been happening for a while now, which goes beyond the Marvel shows and has nothing to do with Disney.

Oct 25, 2017
Disney has shown multiple times they're willing to destroy their own properties to spite competitors?

I'm just reading what the trades are saying, and I don't think I've seen a single one yet report that this is Disney's doing to benefit their own streaming service. All the insider reports so far have been pretty consistent that these cancellations have been Netflix's decision, and made because of issues with cost, scripts, conflicts with Marvel TV and just overall being in a different business situation than they were in 2013. For instance, their shift from licensed content to original content has been happening for a while now, which goes beyond the Marvel shows and has nothing to do with Disney.

You're saying almost literally the same thing that people said when marvel was trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans. People swore up and down that they were doing it for other reasons, but they shit all over that franchise... until they got fox and now they're making big comebacks. Same with the fantastic 4. They outright canceled publication of their title and now are trying to weave them back in.

Even if disney doesn't have current plans, it's obvious that they're shoring up their intellectual properties.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't Charlie Cox have a clause in his contract that said he could appear in a movie? Maybe that's what they mean with Daredevil's future.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You're saying almost literally the same thing that people said when marvel was trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans. People swore up and down that they were doing it for other reasons, but they shit all over that franchise... until they got fox and now they're making big comebacks. Same with the fantastic 4. They outright canceled publication of their title and now are trying to weave them back in.

Even if disney doesn't have current plans, it's obvious that they're shoring up their intellectual properties.

It's really, really getting exhausting to see Disney continuously punish their fans because of their own lack of foresight/previous deals they signed.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll be getting a Disney+ subscription then, because I think the show will be resurrected on the service.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really, really getting exhausting to see Disney continuously punish their fans because of their own lack of foresight/previous deals they signed.

Which is why it makes perfect sense for disney to make unreasonable terms to keep the shows going. It helps displace the blame on netflix and the wrath of the obviously hardcore fans that support these shows. They're probably very aware of fan backlash.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we'll see her in Punisher Season 2 if that's still not canceled.

Spoiler (kind of):
She's in one episode.

Didn't Charlie Cox have a clause in his contract that said he could appear in a movie? Maybe that's what they mean with Daredevil's future.

No, nothing in it like that. The cast has contracts for one more season, so the'll likely be getting paid out. They did the cast dirty, though. They being under contract means they couldn't go out and get another job because, until yesterday, S4 was happening with no question. Then boom, out of work actors and crew and writers who have to wait months for another job.

FYI I'm close to people involved with the show, not involved with the show directly.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoiler (kind of):
She's in one episode.

No, nothing in it like that. The cast has contracts for one more season, so the'll likely be getting paid out. They did the cast dirty, though. They being under contract means they couldn't go out and get another job because, until yesterday, S4 was happening with no question. Then boom, out of work actors and crew and writers who have to wait months for another job.

FYI I'm close to people involved with the show, not involved with the show directly.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Spoiler (kind of):
She's in one episode.

This interview says otherwise;

"When I signed the contract for the show, I signed multiple years for Daredevil and, of course, [team-up series] The Defenders- and in that package there was the opportunity to be involved in the movies," he confirmed.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/darede...contract-includes-a-possible-movie-crossover/