• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I made a thing describing my feelings recently with Netflix Marvel shows

ezgif-4-09eef7eb289a.gif

Is this karma?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You're saying almost literally the same thing that people said when marvel was trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans. People swore up and down that they were doing it for other reasons, but they shit all over that franchise... until they got fox and now they're making big comebacks. Same with the fantastic 4. They outright canceled publication of their title and now are trying to weave them back in.

Even if disney doesn't have current plans, it's obvious that they're shoring up their intellectual properties.
Those examples are from the comics division. That's not the same setup as the Netflix shows, and again it's not *me* saying anything, it's what the Hollywood trades — people who are actually in the know — are saying. I haven't seen them yet say that this is all Disney's call as a way of shoring up their properties, they've all been consistent that the cancellations have been Netflix's decisions and have explained the reasons behind them.

Like I said, Netflix has been moving from licensed to original content for a while now, and this is part of that. They don't need to put up with the hassles of working with Marvel TV anymore because they don't *need* Marvel anymore. If the shows are expensive to make, aren't easy to renegotiate to their needs (e.g. episode orders), get poor viewing numbers, and they don't even own them, then why bother putting up with them anymore? It's easier, cheaper, and makes for a better fit into Netflix's overall business model today to just cut the Marvel shows loose.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I don't think a lot of you get that production on this series has stopped. Cast, crew, they're in the wind. Sets are probably being dismantled as we speak.

This isn't being secretly being moved to Disney+ or Hulu (Disney can't even make unilateral decisions on Hulu since they don't own majority yet). These are over.

Could they bring it back? If Disney/Marvel Television really wanted to, yeah, they could. But why would they?

No, nothing in it like that. The cast has contracts for one more season, so the'll likely be getting paid out. They did the cast dirty, though. They being under contract means they couldn't go out and get another job because, until yesterday, S4 was happening with no question. Then boom, out of work actors and crew and writers who have to wait months for another job.

FYI I'm close to people involved with the show, not involved with the show directly.
It's such a bum deal. :(

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like miscommunication, I didn't mean a Daredevil movie. I meant that he could appear in a MCU movie, either theatrical or Disney+ .

Ah gotcha. Yeah they could have exercised that option for a "day player" type of role and perhaps renegotiate on a larger scale to appear for more than that, but it was a kind of "good faith, we can talk about it in the future" type of thing that is technically in writing but not really specific.

The Netflix/Marvel deal, though, is kind of messy and complicated. I don't think Marvel Studios wanted to really get into it and apparently they don't like dealing with Netflix all that much (and vice versa).

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a lot of you get that production on this series has stopped. Cast, crew, they're in the wind. Sets are probably being dismantled as we speak.

This isn't being secretly being moved to Disney+ or Hulu (Disney can't even make unilateral decisions on Hulu since they don't own majority yet). These are over.

Could they bring it back? If Disney/Marvel Television really wanted to, yeah, they could. But why would they?

Yeah even if they were to get the cast back again, it wouldn't be the same show. It's the whole crew that made Daredevil head and shoulders above other comic shows. The show had a distinct look and "feel" and chemistry.

Really makes me sad

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah gotcha. Yeah they could have exercised that option for a "day player" type of role and perhaps renegotiate on a larger scale to appear for more than that, but it was a kind of "good faith, we can talk about it in the future" type of thing that is technically in writing but not really specific.

The Netflix/Marvel deal, though, is kind of messy and complicated. I don't think Marvel Studios wanted to really get into it and apparently they don't like dealing with Netflix all that much (and vice versa).

I honestly half think Marvel was expecting the shows to end after the Defenders and never intended them to keep going after that.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not paying for your steaming service disney. Pull as much as you want off netflix lol. Liked DD but I am bored of the same old cape shit anyway

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly half think Marvel was expecting the shows to end after the Defenders and never intended them to keep going after that.

Marvel Productions had cast and crew under contract for a set amount of seasons (across all brands, which is why there are crossovers) so they expected stuff after Defenders for at least a few years that were planned, however that's between Marvel and the actors, writers etc... Netflix isn't involved on that. Netflix as distributor pulled their distribution deal early with Marvel likely because they're pissed at Disney and are nixing anything Disney owns off their service.

Obviously Marvel is retaining rights to all these characters, though I don't know if Disney+ is an option or would fit what Disney wants to do on that service.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Marvel write the shows?

Because all of them ended on cliffhangers so no one told the writers.

Yes, Marvel Entertainment handles all that.

Netflix is essentially ending their deal with Marvel before they can complete their series.

If the other shows (Cage, Fist) got news like I know the Daredevil folks did, then it's a blindside and they had their final seasons planned (because that would have been the end of most of the contracts I think). DD was in preproduction scouting locations and writing scripts. They planned to shoot in Feb/March I think.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that D'Onofrio likely wont end up in the MCU. He was perfect as Fisk, and Cox also are Murdoch/Daredevil.

It truly is the best of the Marvel Netflix bunch, and season3 was fantastic.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a bit more annoyed about the lack of luke cage season 3 or iron fist season 3. Daredevil ended well. It works. Neither of the other two's endings work as well.
Yeah I think the LC stuff bothers me because the ending of it was pretty open ended and I would've liked to see what happened next. I think S2 of LC was probably my favorite season next to JJ S1.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow that is really surprising! This marvel show was actually decent. Have all the Netflix marvel shows been canceled now?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
really glad they filmed Punisher season 2 already (uh they did right?) so I at least get a bit more of Bernthal as Castle.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Oh god I forgot about the Millar Universe.

What is going to be the first show/movie from that?

Watchmen I believe.

I say Watchmen, I meant Watchmen with the serial numbers filed off or Jupiter's Legacy as it's known.

I don't know if it steals Watchmen's core concept for certain but it's bound to be pinched off something.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Marvel has posted an update -

Marvel is extremely grateful to the huge audience that loved Marvel's Daredevil. From the moment of young Matt's first act of heroism to the birth of Page, Murdock, & Nelson, it has been a unbelievable journey. We are incredibly proud of the amazing showrunners and writers starting with Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight, Marco Ramirez and Doug Petrie and Erik Oleson, Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Vincent D'Onofrio and our casts who brought our characters to life with such excellence, and every one of the fantastic crews in NYC. We look forward to more adventures with the Man without Fear in the future.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/an-update-on-marvel-s-daredevil

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see what either side has to gain by sitting on their asses and letting quality material die. From the Netflix perspective, if you're not wanting to pursue and prop up a competitors IP then surely it'd be better to work out a way to sell the suite of properties and the streaming rights of currently released seasons to Disney?

And from Disney's side, they need content. Reboots are a huge risk when current iterations already have a fanbase.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Marvel Entertainment handles all that.

Netflix is essentially ending their deal with Marvel before they can complete their series.

If the other shows (Cage, Fist) got news like I know the Daredevil folks did, then it's a blindside and they had their final seasons planned (because that would have been the end of most of the contracts I think). DD was in preproduction scouting locations and writing scripts. They planned to shoot in Feb/March I think.

So it sounds like whatever Netflix is paying for these shows isnt worth the ratings/boost to Netflix viewership.

There was massive hype when DD S1 launched but it's died down since.

They probably expected Defenders to do gangbusters but it had the opposite effect.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like whatever Netflix is paying for these shows isnt worth the ratings/boost to Netflix viewership.

There was massive hype when DD S1 launched but it's died down since.

They probably expected Defenders to do gangbusters but it had the opposite effect.

It could be some of that, but I've heard this was a "political" move from higher ups so not sure what that means TBH. I assume it's Netflix being petty about Disney+ but that's me filling in holes. It could also be Disney higher ups consolidating their IP and working a deal with Netflix to end the shows (but I feel they would have not had people under their employment in preproduction on shows and under exclusive contracts if that was the case, then again Disney treats its employees like shit most times so...).

Considering that many feel the last seasons of all the Marvel shows got things right, I just don't see the logic other than people high up at Netflix wanting to abandon all things Disney owns (since it's going away anyways) to refocus resources on their own stuff internally which they are doing more and more.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Little bummed by this, what is the chances Marvel was like "if you want to continue using them you will owe us X amount of money" and Nerflix was just like "nope"

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
We look forward to more adventures with the Man without Fear in the future.
Hate how ambiguous this is. It could literally mean anything lol. They pulled the same crap with Iron Fist when it was cancelled, by saying something like Iron Fist will live on, and then linked to this Typhoid Mary comicbook mini that barely features Iron Fist (because of course his on-going was already cancelled).

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Shocker... Not really. Aside from supposed falling metrics, Netflix (and probably Disney too) is cleaning house.

Jessica Jones and Punisher will be too after the seasons are released.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was the original plan though. 1 season for each Defender culminating in a Defenders mini-series. But because DD S1 was a big success, they decided to do a second season of it and revise the plan for the other shows as well.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Well this fucking sucks, it's one of the shows that actually got me to subscribe.

They are cancelling a lot of shit and don't know what they are replacing it with.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Sucks.

They don't admit it, but this is all to do with the new Disney streaming service becoming a thing. Surely Marvel/Papa Disney didn't want Marvel IP's to keep being produced on a now rival service. Even worse Netflix shows and their hard R level of violence probably will never materialize over there on Disney's service, so I'm guessing is even if any of the characters or some form of their shows show up over there, expect the overall tone to be toned down and more in line wiith the MCU films. That is if they aren't just completely re-cast and reimagined altogether.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point in netflix originals when they just cancel all their best ones. This fucking sucks, season 3 was incredible.