• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

From another Deadline article on Parrot:

The firm's Global Television Demand Report measures demand for all digital original series across 10 global markets, monitoring the various ways consumers express their interest in a piece of content across streaming platforms, on social media, on blogs and elsewhere. The popularity of these shows plays a key role in the success of these on-demand platforms.

So they're measuring interest based entirely on activity on the platform and OUTSIDE the platform. It's a bizarre way to gauge the interest in something because it may not actually be representative of viewership. Monitoring 'viewers' on these platforms is incredibly ambiguous b/c none of them disclose how they determine an actual viewer. Supposedly Netflix bases it on who actually finishes a show, but if 5% at least watch 3 episodes of a 10 episode show does that discount their viewership?

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching midway through Season 2. The show is just too bloated and feels like very little happens in most episodes.

I think I got about 2 episodes into JJ season 1 before dropping it.

Didn't even bother with the rest.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
I enjoyed the Season 3 far better than Season 2. But what was up with the acting. It was so awkward at times, especially anything that involved the actress that play Karen page.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's cancelled I'm even more irritated that we barely got him in his Daredevil suit this whole season. I feel like Bullseye wore the suit this season than Matt did throughout all three (that's partly because I barely remember S2 at this point, so I don't remember how much he wore it).
This seriously pissed me off as well. I know people loved the black suit, but I wasn't one of them lol. It was great for the first season, but they shouldn't have spent the entire season 3 with him in it.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
What's stopping them from rebooting (softly if necessary since they weren't already MCU) these characters into the MCU movies? I think audiences still want to see these characters, but not in 12 episode stints like they were presented on Netflix.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What's stopping them from rebooting (softly if necessary since they weren't already MCU) these characters into the MCU movies? I think audiences still want to see these characters, but not in 12 episode stints like they were presented on Netflix.

Apparently Netflix still has the options for those characters until the deal they made with Marvel fully expires in a couple of years.

Treadwell

Feb 28, 2018
Los^Angeles to Linz^Austria
FWIW on-location shooting is far more expensive and time-consuming than working on stage. And stunts take forever.
I see now!

Totally thought that having to build sets was a very costly endeavor, but now that I think about it, for a location like Hell's Kitchen there are probably plenty of options available for urban city / NYC-themed studio sets. As for the time it takes to arrange stunt rigging on location, ditto!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, there's nothing wrong with cancelling underperforming shows that you have a bad financial deal on.

Netflix still has a massive amount of original material, they don't need this dead weight.

They also renew plenty of niche programming, so I'm not sure what anybody really has to complain about.
Here's a clue: Daredevil is a good show that many people aren't even close to tired of.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seriously pissed me off as well. I know people loved the black suit, but I wasn't one of them lol. It was great for the first season, but they shouldn't have spent the entire season 3 with him in it.

Though I really adored the black suit, I do dislike that the whole show now ends with him having buried the red suit. He certainly would have donned it again in season 4 to defeat Bullseye.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this one still bums me out. S3 really struck a chord. Gonna rewatch it soon(after finals are over).

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for being LTTP, but after finishing s3, I just don't understand why they would cancel it. It's apparently their third most popular show, and apparently they still have the rights for a couple of years (iiuc). So why in the world would they cancel this?

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I like these shows well enough (watching Punisher now) but they're way too drawn out. That actually goes for other Netflix shows too.

But these cancellations have me worried that shows I have yet to watch will get canceled. I really want to see Mexican Narco but still making my way through the original Narco. I gave Mexican a thumbs up, maybe that will help them?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for being LTTP, but after finishing s3, I just don't understand why they would cancel it. It's apparently their third most popular show, and apparently they still have the rights for a couple of years (iiuc). So why in the world would they cancel this?

Yeah I don't get it. Netflix is willing to throw millions upon millions at random shit but they can't afford to keep one of their most popular shows going for at least one more season to wrap things up? I get why they cancelled Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but just not a good move by them to ditch Daredevil IMO.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get it. Netflix is willing to throw millions upon millions at random shit but they can't afford to keep one of their most popular shows going for at least one more season to wrap things up? I get why they cancelled Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but just not a good move by them to ditch Daredevil IMO.

To be fair, the way the season ended this year is a pretty solid series finale. Obviously the show could keep going if they wanted it to, but it's kind of the definition of an "and they continued to fight crime, the end" kind of ending.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
So apparently they're auctioning off all the costumes and props soon. It's an internal thing shared in a corporate email but I read about it on r/marvelstudiosspoilers and it doesn't seem like the general public will be able to bid. Weird how they're trying to dispose of everything so quickly. Fuckin slap in the faces of everyone who worked so hard on this show over the years. Cox IS Daredevil so this is a real shame.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

This was explained earlier in the thread by a tweetstorm. Read that if you want the best understanding.

Bottom line: Disney wanted like a billion dollars to let Netflix continue. Netflix thought the show wasn't worth that insane amount (based on viewer stats) because they could finance like 2 or 3 shows for that amount of money. So it got canceled.

Nov 1, 2017

Because they don't have full ownership of these shows. They have to share with Disney who I'm sure was not giving them a sweet deal. Netflix is reorganizing their entire strategy towards shows that they fully own.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
These shows should've never been apart of the MCU. Some of the characters had potential for successful MCU movies/supporting roles (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Punisher) but now they are faced with how to merge or disassociate these characters from the MCU as is with their preexisting plots cut short. Why is Marvel convinced their street level character roster won't work at the box office?

Oct 26, 2017
No thread at all about Punisher season 2 being confirmed for January? Odd.

Which brings me to a question, Netflix cancelled three Marvel shows now because they don't have full ownership of it, understandable. Yet they greenlit JJ season 3 and Punisher season 2. So they mean to tell us that they weren't aware themselves yet that these Marvel shows weren't gonna work out when they gave these two the green light for a new season?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
No thread at all about Punisher season 2 being confirmed for January? Odd.

Which brings me to a question, Netflix cancelled three Marvel shows now because they don't have full ownership of it, understandable. Yet they greenlit JJ season 3 and Punisher season 2. So they mean to tell us that they weren't aware themselves yet that these Marvel shows weren't gonna work out when they gave these two the green light for a new season?
They were already filmed when the cancellations started.

Oct 26, 2017
They were already filmed when the cancellations started.

I see. But after these two seasons it's over, right? I don't see another outcome. Did all this start when Disney announced their own new service, even though they won't be taking any of these shows in?

I remember how popular Daredevil season 1 and Luke Cage season 1 were. So I guess at that time these shows were still very profitable for Netflix, so something changed about their deal which made them decide it wasn't worth it anymore? Even though Daredevil season 3 was quite popular.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I see. But after these two seasons it's over, right? I don't see another outcome. Did all this start when Disney announced their own new service, even though they won't be taking any of these shows in?

I remember how popular Daredevil season 1 and Luke Cage season 1 were. So I guess at that time these shows were still very profitable for Netflix, so something changed about their deal which made them decide it wasn't worth it anymore? Even though Daredevil season 3 was quite popular.
Was DD S3 quite popular? Or was it just popular among the people who were still watching it?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently they're auctioning off all the costumes and props soon. It's an internal thing shared in a corporate email but I read about it on r/marvelstudiosspoilers and it doesn't seem like the general public will be able to bid. Weird how they're trying to dispose of everything so quickly. Fuckin slap in the faces of everyone who worked so hard on this show over the years. Cox IS Daredevil so this is a real shame.
Damn. That's that then, definitely no plans for continuing with this version of Daredevil in any way.

Because they don't have full ownership of these shows. They have to share with Disney who I'm sure was not giving them a sweet deal. Netflix is reorganizing their entire strategy towards shows that they fully own.

So many were so quick to assume that the cancellations were all part of Disney's grand plot to bring all the Netflix characters onto Disney+ (though the contracts preclude exactly that from happening for still years more), but the fact is the shows are very expensive to make, don't align with Netflix's current business model of owned vs. licensed content, and don't pull in the streaming numbers to justify either the cost or lack of ownership. Throw all those in and add an apparently worsening relationship between Netflix and Marvel TV (e.g. Netflix wanted to reduce season orders to 8-10 episodes, Marvel wanted the full 13 and wouldn't budge on that point), it's no wonder Netflix is cutting these shows lose.

Real shame about DD though, especially since he'll now just be sitting on the shelf for many more years again.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I would guess the moment those series are out, they're cancelled.

I kinda wish they would do a Defenders Season 2 to close everything up, but it's more than dead.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
These shows should've never been apart of the MCU. Some of the characters had potential for successful MCU movies/supporting roles (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Punisher) but now they are faced with how to merge or disassociate these characters from the MCU as is with their preexisting plots cut short. Why is Marvel convinced their street level character roster won't work at the box office?
Eh. These shows have had so little tie in to the MCU movies and the movies technically have had none outside of maybe easter eggs. If they wanted to roll them up in to the MCU or reboot them in the MCU it wouldn't affect anything from the movie side.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and it sucks. It's going to hurt after watching Punisher S2 and realizing that's it, as well. I REALLY hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. DD did end on a good note IMO.
Is there any chance that Punisher has a different situation because it was started separately from the initial shows, instigated by Netflix

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks but probably inevitable with Disney getting into streaming. Do we have any word either way about the shows getting picked back up for Disney + or Hulu? That would probably be a smart fucking move if they're serious about DTC.

Nov 30, 2017
Sucks but probably inevitable with Disney getting into streaming. Do we have any word either way about the shows getting picked back up for Disney + or Hulu? That would probably be a smart fucking move if they're serious about DTC.

Disney's streaming service has nothing to do with it.

These shows can't appear on their streaming service as the contract wouldn't allow that until Netflix would stopped producing the shows for a specified period of time before they revert back to Disney, also the actors would also be under contract with Netflix which would prevent them from starring in a Disney+ version of the show.

This is strictly Metflix's decision to stop producing them because it isn't feasible for their books.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yes if Marvel had any plans for these characters they would not have pawned them off to Netflix.

Not PG-13 enough for Disney

We aren't seeing DD again for a long time.
There's no reason Daredevil HAS to be R or TV-MA. I think the bigger issue, like you said, is that Marvel clearly has no plans for these characters which is why they outsourced them in the first place. If Kevin Feige had a Daredevil movie or miniseries in mind, he would not have allowed them to go off to Netflix. Similarly, he clearly did not care about doing Inhumans as a movie, and once Ike was out of the picture and that franchise went to tv, the movie was never heard from again.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like it's not over for Daredevil yet. On Netflix sure, but apparently Charlie Cox's contract says he could also appear in movies if Marvel would want that. Also some interesting tweets are being talked here. Interesting video!

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like it's not over for Daredevil yet. On Netflix sure, but apparently Charlie Cox's contract says he could also appear in movies if Marvel would want that. Also some interesting tweets are being talked here. Interesting video!

Either the Daredevil plans they teased were just a guest appearance in JJ S3 (or, less likely, Punisher S2) or that was just bullshit PR-speak. I don't think it's possible for them to be planning any revival at this point, given the contracts.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Charlie Cox has done an absolutely fantastic job portraying Matthew & DD, probably better than 90% of the MCU actors if not more.
He deserves a role in one of the movies, even a small appearance.
Unfortunately I don't really see it happening because the MCU doesn't acknowledge the Netflix shows.