• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Keanu Reeves as Vincent

keanu.jpg

latest
JQEFcbk.gif

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Too young. He should be in his mid 30s. He has too much life experience in wars, mafia, and his history with Julia. Plus, a person in his 20s can't be that cool and layed back.
Interesting too because in the script he is in his mid 30s, walks loose and lanky with a slouch that is confidence, arrogance, and recklessness 😂

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not seeing "must be able to rock some sick side burns" in Jet's casting call and now I'm worried.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If you're going to give Vicious a more significant role you have to retool him.

His actual role in the original anime is pretty small. He's only actually in a few episodes, has a relatively small number of speaking lines in them, and doesn't really emote much. He's basically just there to represent the inevitability of death as this sort of psychopomp who only very briefly connects to the world in any meaningful way in flashback scenes.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Sonoya Mizuno would be an amazing Spike too tbh

Maniac was so dope and she was one of the standouts

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, for an Asian Spike I could definitely see Ian Anthony Dale from Hawaii 5-0 having a bit of the look to him if on the older side(40)
latest

latest

Last edited:

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vicious is the most boring anime swordsman for such otherwise interesting world. Old Rurouni Kenshin reject looking ass

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Vicious's design was perfectly fine for the way he was used (as a Grim Reaper stand-in), it was just retroactively "bad" because it got used a thousand times over in other works where it wasn't really appropriate to do so.

Everything about his visual design and the composition and framing of scenes he's in is meant to present him as just being an artistic representation of death in the classical operatic/theatrical sense, and that's exactly the role he plays in the story. The problem is everyone who made a psuedo-Vicious character following Cowboy Bebop just lifted the look without any of the narrative role or thematic trappings.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible picks except for Crowe (before he got fat tho)
I was joking. I was trying to come up with the most overused and/or whitest ass, generic actors, as to not upset that guy on the first page who is pissed that POC still exist in CB's depiction of future and the whole cast isn't white.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Black Jet is one of those things that clearly isn't what his character was portrayed as, but always fit so well

Nah, I always figured Jet Black was a fair-skinned black dude. I'm also pretty sure Spike Spiegel and Faye Valentine are white too, but I guess Netflix wants to sidestep any drama. I don't think they're really giving the audience enough credit though. It's not really a Death Note/Ghost in The Shell situation with these characters.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds interesting. I'm optimistic for this show, and I know there's a good chance it'll suck I'm optimistic and will give it a shot.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Nah, I always figured Jet Black was a fair-skinned black dude. I'm also pretty sure Spike Spiegel and Faye Valentine are white too, but I guess Netflix wants to sidestep any drama. I don't think they're really giving the audience enough credit though. It's not really a Death Note/Ghost in The Shell situation with these characters.

Faye, no. It's heavily implied she's Asian/from Asia.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
I agree with Sonoya Mizuno for Faye.

If they can't get her I'd be happy with Ellen Wong. (GLOW, Scott Pilgrim, Dark Matter)
latest

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well Spike being Asian seems perfectly reasonable to me considering Spike is literally based off Yusaku Matsuda, a Japanese man.

DtQ8CTAV4AAj1dB.jpg

download.jpg
download.jpg

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never thought Spike was Japanese. He's based on Yusaku Matsuda's character, but it's not like it's a 1:1 likeliness.

The same with Ivy Valentine being Singaporean but can't really say she's of South East Asian descent too.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
JjsVO0Pl.jpg

Sonoya Mizuno (Ex-Machina, Maniac) would be amazing as Faye.
Perfect choice for Faye.

Chris Pang from CRA would be a great choice for Spike.

And I'm not really seeing a reason why attempting to argue that Spike is white or not, it shouldn't really matter in this case since they are making sure the Asian representation is here this time. This is a good thing after years of shit like GITS.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never thought Spike was Japanese. He's based on Yusaku Matsuda's character, but it's not like it's a 1:1 likeliness.

The same with Ivy Valentine being Singaporean but can't really say she's of South East Asian descent too.
I mean does it have to be a 1:1 likeliness? Spike's racial background was never a huge part of the show so he can literally be every ethnicity combined for all we know. But the fact that every character that doesn't have a darker skin tone seems to automatically default to white is tiresome. Why can't Spike be Asian just cause he is? Why does there need to be a reason to justify it?