• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Jet being black makes sense to me

what? he doesn't look black at all. i really don't get how people debate about spike's heritage when jet clearly isn't black.

http://cowboybebop.wikia.com/wiki/Character_List

these are the characters and you can clearly see which ones can come across as blacks, and that's definitely not jet.

i can see spike being mixed because of his hair and eye colour but he definitely looks east asian to me. Jet, on the other hand, does not look black in any way.

and idk why people aren't talking about that. diversity is good and all but you can't assume a position of wanting to be faithful and accurate to the material and then ignore the obvious inaccuracy of the other characters.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what? he doesn't look black at all. i really don't get how people debate about spike's heritage when jet clearly isn't black.

these are the characters and you can clearly see which ones can come across as blacks, and that's definitely not jet.

i can see spike being mixed because of his hair and eye colour but he definitely looks east asian to me. Jet, on the other hand, does not look black in any way.

and idk why people aren't talking about that. diversity is good and all but you can't assume a position of wanting to be faithful and accurate to the material and then ignore the obvious inaccuracy of the other characters.
Oh boy

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know that obviously. I just had him in my head as some scruffy white dude for something if it ever came to a live interpretation. Thats all I am saying.

Once again. I have no issue with the casting. That was just my own imagination.
Oh I get that, it's just you're better off saying scruffy white dude than simply saying American as if American implies only White people.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Did...

Did you forget that "blacks" as you termed it can be light skinned too? And Jet does have a darker skin tone than the other characters, and the dub voice really shaped the perception of that character

The fuck are you even on about

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh I get that, it's just you're better off saying scruffy white dude than simply saying American as if American implies only White people.

Sorry. I didn't fully think that one through. Thats my bad.

Just stop. Don't go any further. Stop talking. Nothing good will come from the direction you are going.

Just take your opinion and walk away.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Did...

Did you forget that "blacks" as you termed it can be light skinned too? And Jet does have a darker skin tone than the other characters, and the dub voice really shaped the perception of that character

The fuck are you even on about

of course I do know that blacks can be light-skinned, too, smartass. and you just contradicted your point by saying Jet has a darker tone than the rest of the cast. do you want me to say Spike is black because blacks can be light-skinned too? or are you saying Jet is black because in relation to the other characters he has a darker skin tone?

the dub voice? who the fuck gives a shit about the dub voice? if the dub voice dictates the race of the characters then spike should be white full-stop. see what i did there? next time, at least bring up good points.

can't stand it when people say, "the fuck are you on about" like their arguments are any more valid, if at all. Jet has a darker skin tone - but blacks can't be light-skinned! Jet has a darker skin tone doesn't mean he's instantly black. To me he looks very much like Iranian or Turkish.

Sorry. I didn't fully think that one through. Thats my bad.

Just stop. Don't go any further. Stop talking. Nothing good will come from the direction you are going.

Just take your opinion and walk away.

lol okay, then. going full nook-and-cranny about spike being white or asian or german or jewish yet ignoring all the other characters I find is hypocrisy at its finest. I'll walk away since people can't even be arsed to take a good critical look at the hypocrisy of their plight and instead just label someone as racist or whatever. Spike is full-stop and should be asian and Jet isn't black.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
lol okay, then. going full nook-and-cranny about spike being white or asian or german or jewish yet ignoring all the other characters I find is hypocrisy at its finest. I'll walk away since people can't even be arsed to take a good critical look at the hypocrisy of their plight and instead just label someone as racist or whatever. Spike is full-stop and should be asian and Jet isn't black.

Okay I'll humor you. So what EXACTLY is you issue with the casting decisions? Be specific. Why can't Jet be black?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Well shoot, I always assumed Spike was Jewish. Guess I'll have to revise the list of Action Jews.

Spike Spiegel
Gal Gadot
The guys in Munich

uhhh

This is a new adaptation, not a reaffirmation of the canon. If you think Spike is coded as Jewish, that's a perfectly reasonable interpretation.

Plus, the casting process still isn't done. It'd be pretty cool for them to find a East/Southeast Asian Jew for Spike, as unlikely as that may seem.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
of course I do know that blacks can be light-skinned, too, smartass. and you just contradicted your point by saying Jet has a darker tone than the rest of the cast. do you want me to say Spike is black because blacks can be light-skinned too? or are you saying Jet is black because in relation to the other characters he has a darker skin tone?

the dub voice? who the fuck gives a shit about the dub voice? if the dub voice dictates the race of the characters then spike should be white full-stop. see what i did there? next time, at least bring up good points.

can't stand it when people say, "the fuck are you on about" like their arguments are any more valid, if at all. Jet has a darker skin tone - but blacks can't be light-skinned! Jet has a darker skin tone doesn't mean he's instantly black. To me he looks very much like Iranian or Turkish.

I can feel that hate every time you say "blacks". That disgust comes through very clearly. I guess just be salty and not watch the show.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd love Akwafina for Faye, Steven Yuen for Spike, and Edi Gathegi for Jet.

(pictures removed)
I think Steven could pull off Spike very well. Awkwafina has yet to show anything in her roles that would lend me to believe she'd be a good fit for Faye. And Jet needs to be a big dude. I've liked Gathegi in a few roles I've seen him in but again, I don't see any connection to Jet at all with him. Not in terms of the character but especially in terms of the body.

The guy who does the Kratos voice actually could be a good Jet.. he fits the role well.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Okay I'll humor you. So what EXACTLY is you issue with the casting decisions? Be specific. Why can't Jet be black?

i'm not saying he can't be - i'm saying it seems inaccurate that he is. I judge based on appearance alone (because really, their race is ambiguous as was never indicated anywhere), and unlike some of you I did not grow up with the english dub.

to me spike is asian full-stop. he looks asian, and does not look white. if he were white, it is only in complexion not race - the only acceptable white that he is are ethnicities from the middle east region (but technically they're asians). but no, he is not white/caucasian in the european sense of the word. white in complexion, not in anywhere else. so no to Spike being caucasian/white, no to him being german or anything european. he is asian full-stop. can be japanese, can be from israel, etc.

on to Jet. same with spike, he does not look black to me at all. just as we judge the characters on appearance, to me he does not look black in any way. I fail to see the point that he has a darker skin tone would mean he is black - no. as i said earlier, he looks turkish or iranian so yes he looks asian. I don't have attachment to the dub because I saw it in Japanese so that does not give me the urge to fight for that plight. we can't really base it on anything else other than appearance because clearly not all asians or whites or whatever has a personality or act a certain way. To me, it's just inaccurate that he is portrayed black when all throughout my life he never looked like a black person to me or anything close to one. Even Edward, I think does not look black and more like a south east asian kid. If y'all wanna be super accurate about Spike I just find it hypocritical that you can't argue for the other characters (aside from Faye because we all know she's asian) and that I get labelled racist like what the fuck. Of course I know the current climate in hollywood casting - but I also want this to be accurate in my mind. and to me, accuracy means that no, jet isn't black. actually, no one in the crew is. To me they are all predominantly Asians, from different Asian countries.

I can feel that hate every time you say "blacks". That disgust comes through very clearly. I guess just be salty and not watch the show.

powerfully stupid post. yeah, i judged you for being stupid the same way you jumped to conclusion that i hate blacks. get the fuck out of here with your senseless, baseless accusation that serves no one and nothing but your creative imagination.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
powerfully stupid post. yeah, i judged you for being stupid the same way you jumped to conclusion that i hate blacks. get the fuck out of here with your senseless, baseless accusation that serves no one and nothing but your creative imagination.
Seriously man, fuck off with that blacks shit.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Damn, that's good.

Dude deserves to catch a break after American Gods too.
I agree he could be a very good Jet although I think he's a little too young. Either way, American Gods lost the Bryan Fuller/Michael Green team and Gillian Anderson has been recast, but it wasn't canceled. The second season starts in March I believe. I guess we'll see if he'll be free to do a new show sometime around then!

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
i'm not saying he can't be - i'm saying it seems inaccurate that he is. I judge based on appearance alone (because really, their race is ambiguous as was never indicated anywhere), and unlike some of you I did not grow up with the english dub.

to me spike is asian full-stop. he looks asian, and does not look white. if he were white, it is only in complexion not race - the only acceptable white that he is are ethnicities from the middle east region (but technically they're asians). but no, he is not white/caucasian in the european sense of the word. white in complexion, not in anywhere else. so no to Spike being caucasian/white, no to him being german or anything european. he is asian full-stop. can be japanese, can be from israel, etc.

on to Jet. same with spike, he does not look black to me at all. just as we judge the characters on appearance, to me he does not look black in any way. I fail to see the point that he has a darker skin tone would mean he is black - no. as i said earlier, he looks turkish or iranian so yes he looks asian. I don't have attachment to the dub because I saw it in Japanese so that does not give me the urge to fight for that plight. we can't really base it on anything else other than appearance because clearly not all asians or whites or whatever has a personality or act a certain way. To me, it's just inaccurate that he is portrayed black when all throughout my life he never looked like a black person to me or anything close to one. Even Edward, I think does not look black and more like a south east asian kid. If y'all wanna be super accurate about Spike I just find it hypocritical that you can't argue for the other characters (aside from Faye because we all know she's asian) and that I get labelled racist like what the fuck. Of course I know the current climate in hollywood casting - but I also want this to be accurate in my mind. and to me, accuracy means that no, jet isn't black. actually, no one in the crew is. To me they are all predominantly Asians, from different Asian countries.

They're cartoon characters. Your insistence that Jet isn't black because he doesn't fit your preconceived notions of what black people look like is as dumb as people insisting that anime characters aren't Asian because they don't have slanted eyes.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Okay dude, here is what this is what this is all going to come down to; you are adamantly insisting that Jet isn't black and you reference not only how he doesn't "look black in anyway," but that the casting call is an "inaccuracy" to the source material.

The problem here is that beyond the character name, or by grace of hinting at a place of birth (like in Faye's case, and this even assumes that Singapore in the Cowboy Bebop verse has a similar ethnic demographic as real world present day Singapore), all we know is that Watanabe didn't want the case to feel "American" in a homogenous sense. At no point do we have the world of God saying Spike is x, or Jet is y. All we have to go on is how they look, how they act, how they sound, and that can all be left up to interpretation.

You mentioned that Jet doesn't "look" black, when this is just patently false. This doesn't contradict any point of mine when considering that lots of groups can be off-white. Hell, viewing him as Iranian is a valid interpretation as well and at no point have I ever said that Jet is exclusively black and nothing else (I personally think it fits well). But in terms of his tone, someone viewing him as black is neither an invalid nor inconsistent interpretation or pereception of Jet. YOU may not think he "looks" black, but don't try to demean the people who do think so.

And in terms of his dub voice, at no point did I say that a dub voice can dictate a character's race. However, again, we have no guidance on the world of God of what Jet is. But for many, they watched the dub first (and this is significant due tomorrow how more popular Bebop was in the US than overseas), the of heard Jet's voice, they heard his venacular on how he delivered his lines, hell, they may have even looked up Beau Billingslea online. Based on that, again, reaching the perception of Jet as black is neither inconsistent nor invalid with what we know about the character.

But here we are; obviously the casters of the show reached the same perception and conclusion of Jet as some in this topic have reached, but yet you're out here saying that he isn't, or it's inaccurate to the source material, and you don't get why people are debating Spike's origins and want to drop "well, diversity is good, buuut..." bullshit.

There's no real reason why Jet CAN'T be portrayed by a black actor, freedom of casting or source material regardless, nor is it inconsistent or invalid based on what we have seen of this cartoon character. Whatever hang ups people have about Spike has nothing to do with Jet, and it is actually more depressing that you cannot even empathize or understand, or even seem to tolerate, this conclusion

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree he could be a very good Jet although I think he's a little too young. Either way, American Gods lost the Bryan Fuller/Michael Green team and Gillian Anderson has been recast, but it wasn't canceled. The second season starts in March I believe. I guess we'll see if he'll be free to do a new show sometime around then!
Yeah... I'm not expecting that to turn out very well. I'd love to be wrong though.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like this is an adaptation and they can change whatever they want.

Jet being black doesn't change the story in any way whatsoever. This adaptation can still be 100% faithful to the source material with a black Jet, if that's how Netflix wants to handle it

Therefore it is logical to assume that the only possible reason someone could be against casting a black guy for the role, is, well...

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Okay dude, here is what this is what this is all going to come down to; you are adamantly insisting that Jet isn't black and you reference not only how he doesn't "look black in anyway," but that the casting call is an "inaccuracy" to the source material.

The problem here is that beyond the character name, or by grace of hinting at a place of birth (like in Faye's case, and this even assumes that Singapore in the Cowboy Bebop verse has a similar ethnic demographic as real world present day Singapore), all we know is that Watanabe didn't want the case to feel "American" in a homogenous sense. At no point do we have the world of God saying Spike is x, or Jet is y. All we have to go on is how they look, how they act, how they sound, and that can all be left up to interpretation.

You mentioned that Jet doesn't "look" black, when this is just patently false. This doesn't contradict any point of mine when considering that lots of groups can be off-white. Hell, viewing him as Iranian is a valid interpretation as well and at no point have I ever said that Jet is exclusively black and nothing else (I personally think it fits well). But in terms of his tone, someone viewing him as black is neither an invalid nor inconsistent interpretation or pereception of Jet. YOU may not think he "looks" black, but don't try to demean the people who do think so.

And in terms of his dub voice, at no point did I say that a dub voice can dictate a character's race. However, again, we have no guidance on the world of God of what Jet is. But for many, they watched the dub first (and this is significant due tomorrow how more popular Bebop was in the US than overseas), the of heard Jet's voice, they heard his venacular on how he delivered his lines, hell, they may have even looked up Beau Billingslea online. Based on that, again, reaching the perception of Jet as black is neither inconsistent nor invalid with what we know about the character.

But here we are; obviously the casters of the show reached the same perception and conclusion of Jet as some in this topic have reached, but yet you're out here saying that he isn't, or it's inaccurate to the source material, and you don't get why people are debating Spike's origins and want to drop "well, diversity is good, buuut..." bullshit.

There's no real reason why Jet CAN'T be portrayed by a black actor, freedom of casting or source material regardless, nor is it inconsistent or invalid based on what we have seen of this cartoon character. Whatever hang ups people have about Spike has nothing to do with Jet, and it is actually more depressing that you cannot even empathize or understand, or even seem to tolerate, this conclusion

thank you for that insightful post. finally there's actual discussion instead of labelling. I mean, it's not that big a deal to me - but on my own perception of the material that is inaccurate. I'd have the same reaction if Spike weren't Asian and I actually think Spike is in no way European. I am just pointing out that people go down the rabbit hole on Spike and his casting but never care about the others - when in my case it's been obvious all along that Spike is Asian in terms of appearance thus I've zero problems with the casting - no matter his last name or whatever. Actually, why can't Spike have a western name and still be Asian in appearance? That's the only disconnect people have, really. If he was called Kenshiro then people would just nonchalantly say he's Asian and be done with it. I'm just here thinking, "hey, Spike is all good why gotta go down this rabbit hole of so many things piling on on top of each other when it's obvious he's been Asian - and why doesn't anyone do the same for all the other characters who, to me, are glaringly more inaccurate?" that was what I felt. To me they're an all-Asian crew, full-stop, and that's why I had voiced what I thought and still think was inaccurate in my eyes. I'd be the same way if suddenly Spike was white - it just feels inaccurate to what I perceive the crew should be. That's not to say I ain't open to it, as some others are trying to say. Pretty sure we will be having a lot of discussions once the actors are announced, too. - with people going, "the actor is asian sure but he doesn't look the part! he's too small, too buff spike is skinny, etc." - for sure. anyway, I just voiced my opinion on the matter and I'll leave it at that.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about Ludi Lin from Power Rangers movie?

latest

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should make Spike asian and make Faye white to make heads explode.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused by you guys when you say "Jew" when describing someone's ethnicity. Isn't that like saying "hey we need a Catholic for this role"? I'm Mexican and I can be a Jew also. Don't you guys mean, say, Israelite? Somehow "Jew" in this context doesn't sound right for me.
Finally Asian leads.

Will Yun Lee as Spike.

A796524_gal_20180413171538.jpg

He can pull it off.
Oh my God I don't know this guy but I can see him pulling Spike's look to a T. Hot damn!

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Godfrey Gao for Spike. He's got the height and look. Plus he's a handsome mother fucker.

Godfrey-gao.jpg

interview-godfrey-gao-for-sk-ii_4.jpg

v0skmzqlhvs01.jpg

Last edited:

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think a lot more characters in Anime people think are white are supposed to be Asian, it's just names and hair colour that throw people off, but thats just Japan being creative.

I just assume any anime character is Asian unless stated otherwise, like Seven Deadly Sins taking place in Britain, I'd assume they were all English, and the Cloud Ninja in Naruto are obviously Black despite their names.

You just gotta think, why would an Asian country make so much animation that stars only white folks? Answer is they wouldn't.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thank you for that insightful post. finally there's actual discussion instead of labelling. I mean, it's not that big a deal to me - but on my own perception of the material that is inaccurate. I'd have the same reaction if Spike weren't Asian and I actually think Spike is in no way European. I am just pointing out that people go down the rabbit hole on Spike and his casting but never care about the others - when in my case it's been obvious all along that Spike is Asian in terms of appearance thus I've zero problems with the casting - no matter his last name or whatever. Actually, why can't Spike have a western name and still be Asian in appearance? That's the only disconnect people have, really. If he was called Kenshiro then people would just nonchalantly say he's Asian and be done with it. I'm just here thinking, "hey, Spike is all good why gotta go down this rabbit hole of so many things piling on on top of each other when it's obvious he's been Asian - and why doesn't anyone do the same for all the other characters who, to me, are glaringly more inaccurate?" that was what I felt. To me they're an all-Asian crew, full-stop, and that's why I had voiced what I thought and still think was inaccurate in my eyes. I'd be the same way if suddenly Spike was white - it just feels inaccurate to what I perceive the crew should be. That's not to say I ain't open to it, as some others are trying to say. Pretty sure we will be having a lot of discussions once the actors are announced, too. - with people going, "the actor is asian sure but he doesn't look the part! he's too small, too buff spike is skinny, etc." - for sure. anyway, I just voiced my opinion on the matter and I'll leave it at that.
What is your obsession for all reasoning to be consistent and universally applied? As long as there is logic tying casting choices to the source material it's accurate. Spike can be Asian for different reasons than why Jet can be black. The creators and a lot of the posters here clearly disagree with you... instead of trying to frame a narrative that says EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU IS A HYPOCRITE can you put forth some effort trying to accept why people justify different things for different reasons? Because if you can't it's hard not to see that you are really bothered with the idea of a character being black.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I'm so confused by you guys when you say "Jew" when describing someone's ethnicity. Isn't that like saying "hey we need a Catholic for this role"? I'm Mexican and I can be a Jew also. Don't you guys mean, say, Israelite? Somehow "Jew" in this context doesn't sound right for me.

Oh my God I don't know this guy but I can see him pulling Spike's look to a T. Hot damn!
He's the voice of Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs and also the guy that plays the original Takashi Kovac in Altered Carbon.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018

I'm no expert, but I believe Jew is widely accepted as a term for both an ethnic group and a religious group. Someone please feel free to correct me though if that is not a correct or appropriate use of the word.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
This is actually pretty cool. I haven't read the whole thread yet, but i'm pretty sure I know some of the reactions i'll see when I do.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Nick Fury isnt black in the comics, but Sam Jackson plays him. How is this different for Jet? As long as his character/actor is good, should it matter?

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Nick Fury isnt black in the comics, but Sam Jackson plays him. How is this different for Jet? As long as his character/actor is good, should it matter?
Not to derail but nick fury is black in the comics
Now he is because of Sam Jackson but before the MCU I think he was white. The character was also practically unknown to general audiences before the movies though so for most (including me!) Fury has always been black.

Nick Fury is both white and Black. In the original 616 comics he is white but black in the ultimate universe which is before the mcu even started.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot more characters in Anime people think are white are supposed to be Asian, it's just names and hair colour that throw people off, but thats just Japan being creative.

I just assume any anime character is Asian unless stated otherwise, like Seven Deadly Sins taking place in Britain, I'd assume they were all English, and the Cloud Ninja in Naruto are obviously Black despite their names.

You just gotta think, why would an Asian country make so much animation that stars only white folks? Answer is they wouldn't.
I see people say this a lot but I dont think it's so cut and dry. People think because B is darker and raps he's supposed to be black. I think they are just darker people possibly supposed to be representative of the Ainu.