• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watching this series? I find it really educational with what's happening with the coronovirus outbreak right now. The series is basically telling us that the next outbreak is going to happen, but the question is when?

We are onto the last episode so far and its educational, scary but reassuring. There are so many different groups of people around the world that are working hard to prevent the next outbreak and I can imagine how hard they are working now to prevent this new coronovirus from spreading around the world.

and there have to show anti-vaxxers in this as well. Fuck that hippie mum who wants to spread placenta pills on her kids ice cream.

OP
OP
the_id

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
There's this hippie mum who has 5 kids and in one episode where her kids were making some ice cream, she told the son maybe he should sprinkle some of her planceta pills so they would have some of their vitamins back into them. Its really fucked up. Murica is weird.

Anyway, there's some amazing people on the front line around the world from researchers working to find a universal flu vaccine, to the teams monitoring the markets in Asia, to volunteers at the American-Mexico border trying to prevent the flu outbreak. Its truly remarkable and reassuring that at least for now, the whole world has been waiting and preparing for the next big outbreak.

....except we have these anti-vaxxers to deal with.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
There's this hippie mum who has 5 kids and in one episode where her kids were making some ice cream, she told the son maybe he should sprinkle some of her planceta pills so they would have some of their vitamins back into them. Its really fucked up. Murica is weird.

Anyway, there's some amazing people on the front line around the world from researchers working to find a universal flu vaccine, to the teams monitoring the markets in Asia, to volunteers at the American-Mexico border trying to prevent the flu outbreak. Its truly remarkable and reassuring that at least for now, the whole world has been waiting and preparing for the next big outbreak.

Ummm that's not a america thing lol. Many cultures around the world have rituals around the placenta. Most of them involve eating it in some form or another.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I started watching it a bit ago and decided to take a break half way through episode two when it went back to the anti-vaxxer stuff. I just don't even want to hear or see those people; they're fucking infuriating.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Anyone watching this series? I find it really educational with what's happening with the coronovirus outbreak right now. The series is basically telling us that the next outbreak is going to happen, but the question is when?

We are onto the last episode so far and its educational, scary but reassuring. There are so many different groups of people around the world that are working hard to prevent the next outbreak and I can imagine how hard they are working now to prevent this new coronovirus from spreading around the world.

and there have to show anti-vaxxers in this as well. Fuck that hippie mum who wants to spread placenta pills on her kids ice cream.

I actually worked on this series, glad that you are enjoying it. The response has been interesting to follow. 2 most common observations have been from conspiracy theories about the release date/conoravirus outbreak (pure coincidence, Netflix just wanted the show out during flu season) and people ragging on the anti-vaxxers.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I actually worked on this series, glad that you are enjoying it. The response has been interesting to follow. 2 most common observations have been from conspiracy theories about the release date/conoravirus outbreak (pure coincidence, Netflix just wanted the show out during flu season) and people ragging on the anti-vaxxers.
Were you part of the crew or the creative team behind it?

Seems interesting. I like shows/movies about outbreaks so I'll have to watch this.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

I've seen the first few episodes of this, and that woman is absolutely insane.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Were you part of the crew or the creative team behind it?

Seems interesting. I like shows/movies about outbreaks so I'll have to watch this.

I was one of the editors. Was a very challenging show, figuring how how to juggle the many storylines and locations throughout multiple episodes.

Everyone is responding to the anti-vaxxers in the way I had hoped.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
I was one of the editors. Was a very challenging show, figuring how how to juggle the many storylines and locations throughout multiple episodes.

I'm here for crew members of shows giving their input. But yes, Anti-Vaxxer people on this show are wild.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

Damn. I bet it was. How many editors were on the project?

Glad that you like the way people are responding.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC

Very cool; my wife and I finished it the series the other night and found it equal parts fascinating and terrifying. Probably helps that it's also a very timely subject at the moment.

I was wondering (if you're able to speak on it of course): was there a reason you guys chose to basically intermingle all the story-lines across the whole series rather than just focus on one or two stories per episode?

My assumption was that:
  1. It makes it easier to lay a bunch of core knowledge about viral diseases onto the viewers from many angles right from the get-go so that they're not lost or mislead in some of the stories that may not have provided a level of depth that others did. Like if you guys showed the anti-vax lady without giving the viewers the knowledge that she's full of shit for example, that might have made some people trust her judgement since she spoke with such vigor.
  2. Some of the stories might have been boring to watch over the course of an entire hour. Like I was horrified of the working conditions of that woman in Oklahoma, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it might have been kind of mundane to watch for 60 minutes straight.
Just curious; it was the one thing I kind of pondered after finishing the series, and well, since you're here I figured I'd throw the question out

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Very cool; my wife and I finished it the series the other night and found it equal parts fascinating and terrifying. Probably helps that it's also a very timely subject at the moment.

I was wondering (if you're able to speak on it of course): was there a reason you guys chose to basically intermingle all the story-lines across the whole series rather than just focus on one or two stories per episode?

My assumption was that:
  1. It makes it easier to lay a bunch of core knowledge about viral diseases onto the viewers from many angles right from the get-go so that they're not lost or mislead in some of the stories that may not have provided a level of depth that others did. Like if you guys showed the anti-vax lady without giving the viewers the knowledge that she's full of shit for example, that might have made some people trust her judgement since she spoke with such vigor.
  2. Some of the stories might have been boring to watch over the course of an entire hour. Like I was horrified of the working conditions of that woman in Oklahoma, don't get me wrong, but I feel like it might have been kind of mundane to watch for 60 minutes straight.
Just curious; it was the one thing I kind of pondered after finishing the series, and well, since you're here I figured I'd throw the question out

You are right on on both those points. The team wanted each episode to have a wide-reaching, global feel so the inter-cutting was by design from the get-go.

Did you find it hard to follow the various storylines across the episodes? That was my main concern.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
You are right on on both those points. The team wanted each episode to have a wide-reaching, global feel so the inter-cutting was by design from the get-go.

Did you find it hard to follow the various storylines across the episodes? That was my main concern.

Nice, good to see my undergrad degree in video production that I never use anymore at least still has some use in trying to unpack others' decisions lol

I wouldn't say I found it confusing exactly; it was more that I became really interested in a story (especially the Distributed Bio team's and Dr. Syra Madad's) and then all of a sudden we'd go to the other side of the world and meet someone new. After the first episode or so it became normal and I realized we'd come back to the threads in due time, but at first I was wondering how the pieces all fit together or if they were even meant to fit together, etc.

Overall I thought it was great though; excellent work!

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Nice, good to see my undergrad degree in video production that I never use anymore at least still has some use in trying to unpack others' decisions lol

I wouldn't say I found it confusing exactly; it was more that I became really interested in a story (especially the Distributed Bio team's and Dr. Syra Madad's) and then all of a sudden we'd go to the other side of the world and meet someone new. After the first episode or so it became normal and I realized we'd come back to the threads in due time, but at first I was wondering how the pieces all fit together or if they were even meant to fit together, etc.

Overall I thought it was great though; excellent work!

Thanks!

OP
OP
the_id

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I are both doctors and worked when there was the measles outbreak in NZ and Samoa and this show hit everything accurately. Liked the part about how global an outbreak can be and how important collaboration is from the richest nation in the world to the poorest. Loved the editing as well.

I also learned from this show that there's a vaccine against Ebola already!

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
When i saw the trailer for first time, i thought "wow. It is very coincidental. Not sure if it is actually that or actually a response to cov outbreak"

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't envy you at all, editing all that. You did a hell of a job it's a great show and the storylines are clear.

-

I was a "character" in a feature length doc that released last year, I swear to god after a year plus of following me around, the 5 or 10 minutes of "my story" that they chose to tell was the least important and least interesting stuff they filmed, I have no idea how or why they chose to edit it how they did, except that it fit their narrative in relation to other characters (none of whom I even knew or met) and the overall "Plot." Must be brutal to edit thousands of hours of raw footage into a documentary that's compelling.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 2 and the hippy mom and anti vax protest rally segments made me twitch. But I'm definitely enjoying the rest so far.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This was an awesome series. That anti-vaxx woman and her group of smug first worlders was so infuriating though. I wanted the smug smile wiped off their faces. Especially when they show scenes of desperate people fleeing their homeland who are just grateful to receive a flu shot or scenes of terrified poverty-stricken people learning of the news that they might lose their 6-month old pregnancy from preventable illnesses just because they couldn't afford a vaccine.

That scene of the mom from Guatemala crying because her baby boy died from the flu was gut wrenching. Makes those Oregonian anti-vaxxers celebrating their victory by talking about being able to keep going to summer camp even more infuriating.

I highly recommend it. The series does a good of highlighting a diverse range of issues and viewpoints from rural America all the way to Rajasthan, India.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be sure to check it out.

Reminds me of an article I read a few years ago about the Bird Flu. Virologists were warning that the virus is only a few mutations away from becoming highly contagious among humans.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be sure to check it out.

Reminds me of an article I read a few years ago about the Bird Flu. Virologists were warning that the virus is only a few mutations away from becoming highly contagious among humans.
This has always been the case, I think. It's also the biggest reason why the new world was largely wiped out when the Europeans here came: the old world always had more species of domesticated animals that they shared viruses/bacterias who got it from wild species and pass them on to us. When they had contact with the native populations, they inadvertently waged biological warfare on them. I think there were many reports of conquistadors gaping in awe when they came across grand cities with populations that are far too small to build and support them.

Today, we now have an idea on how it works and how deadly it can be when novel new strains show up.

Hopefully that human trial for the vaccine featured in this series goes well. It would honestly save so many lives and prevent alot of suffering even in its current form of 7 shots.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's pretty crazy that the show says "It's not a matter of 'if' but when" and it is happening right fucking now...

Does anyone know when this was filmed/finished?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching this, and it is very sobering. And I was already pretty sober. The timing of release is sadly uncanny.
It is hopeful to know that all of these amazing people are working in the background to save us. I hope they get all of the funding and support that they need.