• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 Live
Season 2 Live

XcqEKVg.jpg

Introduction Videos
Watching the series cold with no context is fine - it is an anime about dragons and magic. If you would like a primer these are three Netflix produced Youtubes and the final trailer.

Basic Plot
After encounters with a dragon and a princess on her own mission, a knight becomes embroiled in events larger than he could have ever imagined.

Main Characters
Davion
R7kgSFJ.jpg

Davion is the main character of the show. Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke from Naruto) voices the English Davion. In the videogame Davion is very strong and hard to kill and is known to most players as a reliable but boring hero. This anime tells his origin story and his relationship with dragons. Davion's job as a knight is to rid local towns of roaming wild dragons. Dragons are common in the dota universe and each dragon represents an element. The eldest most powerful dragon of each element is the Eldwurm of that element. Tony Todd (Candyman) voices the Ember Eldwurm.

Mirana
ClgWQN0.jpg

Elune Mirana aka the Priestess Princess of the Moon is known for riding her leaping tiger Sagan into battle. She is adept at using her bow and arrow and moon magic. She is in competition with her rival Luna, voiced by Kari Wahlgren (Jessica from Rick & Morty), and this show explores their relationship to the Goddess of the Moon. Laura Pulver (Irene Adler from Sherlock) voices the English Mirana.

Invoker
x5ls5Be.jpg

Invoker, or Karl, is one of the strongest magical heroes in Dota 2. While most heroes have 3-5 abilities Karl has over 10. If you are trying to play Dota 2 for the first time DO NOT try playing Invoker without reading up on him. He is one of the more complex micromanagement heroes with some IKEA level instructions that require some homework, there is even a cheat sheet in-game. Troy Baker (Video game and animation VA extraordinaire) voices the English Invoker.

FAQ
1. Why Dota and why anime - why not [insert Valve property] + [game sequel/movie/show/thing I rly want]?
pJLIfCu.png

The $100M+ that the annual Dota Battlepass brings in warranted a community project for a fanbase and pro scene that likes anime - so this was paid for by Dota players. If you are here to whine about gabun where is Half Life 3 or Portal cake baking show you will probably be waiting ad infinitum.

2. Is this appropriate for kids?
🔞 👶 👧 🧒 🙅‍♀️
This is NOT kid friendly at all. Characters fuck, have orgies, kill, murder, and swear excessively. Much like Netflix's other videogame animated adaptations (Dragon's Dogma and Castlevania) Dragon's Blood is rated MA for Mature Audiences in the United States - the highest possible warning for parents. This was clearly made for adults only.

3. What languages is it available in?
71zhgDH.png

Netflix has done 12 Dubbed audios with 30 Subtitled versions.
Dubs: English, Russian, Japanese, Filipino, Thai, Indonesian, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish (Neutral/Castilian), French, German, Italian
Subs: Not sure since subs are regional based but there are 30

4. Will you understand the anime without having played Dota 2?
Yes. The showrunner Ashley Miller (Thor, X-men First Class) and his writing team including Brian Konietzko (Avatar, Korra) wrote an original story without any restrictions from Valve and added dozens of Easter Eggs for Dota veterans if you remember your items, heroes, and abilities.

Dota was originally a mod in Warcraft 3 so the lore had to be re-created by Valve with approval from Blizzard and was never fully revealed except through voicelines in the videogame.

5. Should you try Dota 2 if you liked the anime or try again/come back?

Dota 2 - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.
Steam numbers are down to 2013 populations and this is probably the first time Valve has made a major effort to advertise the game, plus a relaunched website and in-game New Player Experience.
DTh8wxY.png

A community-made New Player tutorial is launching along with streamlined shop, New Player mode, New Player Rewards, Flexible Coaching, Returning Player calibration along with Smurf Banning patch was just revealed and Valve has added an Overwatch system like in CSGO where trusted reviewers can decide if a player is actively griefing or just playing according to their skill level. You used to be able to report people for anything or nothing and players would get punished for no reason.
BZHQ4YZ.png

howlongtobeat.com

How long is Dota 2? | HowLongToBeat

How long is Dota 2? HowLongToBeat has the answer. Create a backlog, submit your game times and compete with your friends!
Spoiler: The game never ends, you can never finish it.
Dota 2 is one of the hardest most complex multiplayer games on the market to master and by far the most toxic of gamer communities. I would say it takes minimum 10-20 hours to understand what is going on and a lifetime of figuring out obscure tricks to become more efficient. Fair warning: if you can stand the toxicity and difficulty curve, it can eat up a thousand+ hours of your life if you stick with it. I know a lot of people barely play a game more than 10 hours but at the same time there are also those who have uninstalled or removed the game from Steam because once you get going it really spikes those gaming pleasure centers in the brain like nothing else.

If you are new to Dota 2 and want to give it a whirl I would highly recommend these subreddits:
/r/LearnDota2 (Learn the basics)
/r/dota2tutor (Find a tutor or students)
/r/dota2ndq (No dumb questions)
Skip the shithole that is /r/dota2 and don't buy cosmetic items

Our Dota ERA Gaming Hangouts thread is mostly complaining about professional scene or low/mid level play, but we can answer most basic or beginner questions there or in this thread. The game is a 30 GB install so I highly recommend using that download time to skim the subreddits instead of diving in, many Dota things are counterintuitive and unlike traditional AAA videogame play or even rival MOBA League of Legends.

tl;dr I would say "no" since the experience is still toxic and racist like most online experiences, but it seems like Valve is making it's first concerted effort to recruit new/old players and get rid of the most toxic ones.

6. How many episodes are there?
Studio Mir, the Korean animation studio behind kid favorites Voltron and Legend of Korra have a tentative 24 episode order from Valve and Netflix. March 25th is an 8 episode drop as Book 1 of 3 (episodes are about 25 minutes long).

edit: Book 2 (another 8 episodes) launched Jan 18, 2022

Open Spoilers
Mp34r4a.gif

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've only played the original Defense of the Ancients (centuries ago), then moved to LoL and never had the chance to play DotA 2 but I'm interested in this.

Also, I was an Elune main so it's cool to know she's in this!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
So many interesting stories and characters they could do and they chose fucking DK lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious enough to probably watch. Is DOTA's lore on a similar scale to Leagues?
It's fragmented mainly because the Dota heroes were kind of like Blizzard All-Stars mixed with Sega, Nintendo, Squaresoft games of the day.
This seems to be an attempt to bring them all together without stepping on too many toes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is a younger crowd thing, but if you want to do a live Tenami watch-along with Team Alliance & Bulldog they are going live at the premiere

Instructions
old.reddit.com

This Week’s Dota 2 Dragon’s Blood Watch Parties - When and How to Watch

##**Introducing Dragon's Blood Watch Parties** Hi everyone! As many of you are already aware, Dragon’s Blood is premiering this Thursday on...

Google signup link
docs.google.com

[A] DOTA: Dragon's Blood Watch Party Sign Up

PLEASE READ THIS FORM CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU SIGN UP. Join the ALLfam as we celebrate and binge this epic series brought to you by Valve and Netflix. Event Timing: March 25th, 2021, CET 08.00 (3pm SGT / 2am CDT) Event Address: Tenami.TV + Alliance discord You will be required to confirm your...

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
In the game
Invoker is a Dire hero, a team filled with demons and all sorts of awful bad guys
but in the anime it seems like he is more of a
good or neutral party, so I wonder if he will turn evil at some point

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the game
Invoker is a Dire hero, a team filled with demons and all sorts of awful bad guys
but in the anime it seems like he is more of a
good or neutral party, so I wonder if he will turn evil at some point
The trailers make him out to be a bad guy, but idk he could be pulling the strings behind the scenes for the greater good

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LUL ok things are starting to make sense.
I can see why Reviewers are not going to understand this
They are throwing in a tonne of Easter Eggs for game players that seem like nothing to casual eyes.

EP1
I kill monsters

EP2
I am a monster

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know anything about Dota but I'm gonna watch casually because I like the adult-oriented anime like Castlevania, etc.

Last edited:

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Watched the first episode. Seems pretty good. Not sure about Miranda's voice acting but overall, a good first episode.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this have any LGBT characters? The game is like 100% straight from my research a couple of years ago.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The anime based on a game based on a mod for a game heavily inspired by a tabletop franchise.

Let's go deeper.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh there are entities like Puck and Enigma that are genderless and asexual so it's not 100% straight but I get where you are coming from.
Ah yeah that's true, but yeah I guess this is not far enough adjacent to get a free pass. You just know if they ever do an Overwatch show/movie Tracer's sexuality will be ignored.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Does this have any LGBT characters? The game is like 100% straight from my research a couple of years ago.
What research was that? I'm unaware of any Dota 2 lore discussing sexuality, I didn't think any hero was confirmed to be anything. Pretty sure the show's been handed a blank slate in that regard. Although with that said, it's alluded to in his voice lines that Storm Spirit is gay. If he is ever in the anime and they recast his VA though I will riot.

evlcookie

Oct 25, 2017
This felt really similar to Castlevania for me, that might be a crazy incorrect take. It was alright, bit typical, needs more characters and hopefully S2 provides it.