• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Netflix Film Twitter:

Incredibly excited and honored to announce that THE IRISHMAN, MARRIAGE STORY, AMERICAN FACTORY, and ATLANTICS will all join the @Criterion Collection later this year! https://t.co/Z3TVYL45S0
Also Roma but that was already announced. Now gimme Okja you bastards!

cr4ol5dehec41.jpg

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Wow that's a huge get for Criterion. A lot of their releases are very niche and they're always in need of some higher-profile stuff to keep them in the black.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know Atlantique was a Netflix film.

Edit: Oh Netflix published, not developed, might explain that.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
What were the circumstances of the release? I don't own it, personally.
From Reddit so take it with a grain of salt:
Criterion had a deal with Paramount to release it; Paramount did basically every part of printing, manufacturing, and distributing, so this is a Paramount Blu-ray with Criterion branding. Presumably this was done purely to get Criterion more money for other endeavors.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
hope they're more open to doing blu-ray/UHD releases in the future, as dumb as it sounds i'd rather buy a ÂŁ10-15 movie on disc than watch it on netflix but like with the episodic Hateful8 i'm still waiting for it

Oct 27, 2017
NeTfLiX hAs No GoOd CoNtEnT

fools still spitting the same shit like it's 2014 and they still there.

For real though, Netflix has been killing it the past couple years. Nobody has as much high quality content as they're pumping out.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Doesn't Criterion usually wait a bit longer for adding films to their collection than this?

(Not that I'm complaining)

I hope the 'Criterion Channel' is doing well for them, I'm a Charter there and still pick up a few Blu-Rays of anything I am afraid to lose if the channel goes the way of FilmStruck.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Criterion usually wait a bit longer for adding films to their collection than this?

(Not that I'm complaining)

I hope the 'Criterion Channel' is doing well for them, I'm a Charter there and still pick up a few Blu-Rays of anything I am afraid to lose if the channel goes the way of FilmStruck.
They definitely have some kind of partnership with Netflix going on, which is probably expediting these physical releases a bit. Roma is getting a Criterion release next month.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds nice, but will it be a 4K UHD disc? Will be interesting to compare, especially if it's actually a Criterion-made disc rather than just slapping the label on a Netflix commissioned disc and calling it a day. I'm assuming it'll just be a regular blu or a Netflix disc. That's fine and all, but man... I would kill to see them move into the UHD space. Though I assume it's because they want their transfers to be pristine when they make that shift.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is this that brand that says they are about preservation of the finest home releases available, but then they also won't do 4K discs for higher quality and they make a lot of them limited so they go out of print?

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Is this that brand that says they are about preservation of the finest home releases available, but then they also won't do 4K discs for higher quality and they make a lot of them limited so they go out of print?

They don't do 4K / UHD because Criterion's physical releases are already a niche market and honestly....so is 4K UHD. It'd be a bad financial decision for them to double down on that and make it even more niche. Their transfers and restorations have a lot of care put into them and are super crisp. They don't really need to do full on 4K releases any time soon.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So since Criterion aren't publishing themselves, does this mean we could be getting a 4k physical release?
Depends on Fincher and Paramount. So maybe.
Fincher projects On 4K are rumored to be something he's holding up, presumably because of some sort of control or issue he has with doing new transfers of his films. A couple of his were announced for 4K, but were both cancelled long ago.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't do 4K / UHD because Criterion's physical releases are already a niche market and honestly....so is 4K UHD. It'd be a bad financial decision for them to double down on that and make it even more niche. Their transfers and restorations have a lot of care put into them and are super crisp. They don't really need to do full on 4K releases any time soon.

Their Seven Samurai bluray is amazing looking and looks damn good on my 4K TV.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Good news, very excited to see their Irishman release. Scorsese's Italianamerican is also supposed to be released by Criterion at some point, so let's hope we get them together :)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Hey don't forget that Roma was announced a while ago and comes out in...March? Physical preservation of these films is important.

Now to make up for getting absolutely shafted at the Academy Awards, The Farewell really needs a Criterion release.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Why yes, I will take a Marriage Story Criterion Collection Blu Ray. Thank you very much.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Does the Criterion Channel even have a 4k option?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

They made a monumental effort, with partners, to literally restore Satyajit Ray's films that were burned in a massive fire, with the intent of restoring others. And they are masterpieces now available to modern audiences.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, most of the Out of Print issues happen because of license agreements that fall through some years after the initial deal, not because Criterion intentionally printed a small number of copies.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Ugh why even buy a Netflix this year if their exclusives are going to end up on CC anyways. I guess it's Disney+Amazon for me from now on.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I wish either Netflix or Criterion would release the director's cut of Wolf of Wall Street.

Supposed to be an hour longer.
Scorsese doesn't do director's cuts. It's disappointing I know. I would have loved to seen the original cut of Gangs of NY too before Weinstein got his hands on it.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Scorsese doesn't do director's cuts. It's disappointing I know. I would have loved to seen the original cut of Gangs of NY too before Weinstein got his hands on it.
Such a bummer. I wonder if they will eventually release it once he is no longer with us?

His partnership with Netflix works really well, because I don't think The Irishman would have escaped being cut down by a traditional studio even if they did give him the money he needed.