• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are cheering this, but what if Netflix just scraps the rest of the episodes? Thats like 450 people out of a job. Production, crew etc are not millionaires

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
This kind of thinking is unfair. They swiftly chose to not work with him after (officialy) finding out about these allegetions.

Keeping earlier films and series on their service is another discussion I would say.

Do you think a film like se7en should be buried forever and never released - on Netflix or on homevideo going forward?

As if that show and those movies had no one else working on them? Fuck all the directors, cinematographers, composers, other actors, etc...

All you're saying is that Kevin Spacey was the only person that mattered in any of the projects he's ever been involved with.

He's still in a ton of great films, featuring work done by many people besides Kevin Spacey. Are we just going to delete everything he's been in now?

Seems I needed more context for my comment. I'm not saying throw the baby out with the bath water. However, I've read in places people standing up clapping for Netflix like they finally started listening to their conscience.

Thus what I am saying is this wasn't some high minded moralistic move on the part of Netflix. They did the bare minimum they felt they had to do to cover their asses, prevent bad press and possible blow back. This isn't me being upset at Netflix's decision either, it's an understanding that someone at the top figured this was 'best for business'. If I was in charge of Netflix, a publicly traded major corporation, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are cheering this, but what if Netflix just scraps the rest of the episodes? Thats like 450 people out of a job. Production, crew etc are not millionaires

Yup. The irony is cancelling this hurts a few hundred people who counted on a season of work, while Kevin Spacey is a multi-millionaire and won't really be financially effected in the short term.

They will look after the crew. I'm glad his ass is glass.

I highly doubt it. Production crews are local and rely on local business. Does Netflix have another show shooting in Maryland right now? Even if they do, it's probably already staffed up.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Seems I needed more context for my comment. I'm not saying throw the baby out with the bath water. However, I've read in places people standing up clapping for Netflix like they finally started listening to their conscience.

Thus what I am saying is this wasn't some high minded moralistic move on the part of Netflix. They did the bare minimum they felt they had to do to cover their asses, prevent bad press and possible blow back. This isn't me being upset at Netflix's decision either, it's an understanding that someone at the top figured this was 'best for business'. If I was in charge of Netflix, a publicly traded major corporation, I can't say I wouldn't have done the same.
I don't make a habit out of defending big corporations but they can't win here.

Based on their statement there's virtually no difference between "they did this because it was the right thing to do" and "they did this because it was the best thing for their business". It's just what each person reading their statement assumes individually and nothing more. We have no idea if the people who made this decision actually cared about the accusations being made or if they were just covering their own asses.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Never liked this excuse. A trash show shouldn't be a charity. They can always work on whatever show replaces it. At least the replacement has a chance to actually accomplish something.

There's letting people know well ahead of time that the show is coming to an end and then there's what they'd be doing here letting everyone go with no notice.

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In cases like this, having zero-tolerance for behavior like that is the appropriate way to go.

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't they use the CGI model from Advanced Warfare and write him out of the story?

Like he plans to murder the female president and he gets shot by security. Then it's covered up he had a heart attack and the show can go on!

Like many people said, hundreds of people are getting punished by canceling the series

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the second time I've seen you asking about why people don't come forward. The answer is the same as the last time. Please stop.
It's amazing to me that people post this stuff. There are so many things, even insignificant things, that people will withhold from others out of fear of embarrassment, and then you think that coming out as having been sexually assaulted is a piece of cake? By an a-list hollywood actor no less? Boggles the mind...

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Like many people said, hundreds of people are getting punished by canceling the series
Wasn't a big portion of the final season already filmed? Plus with sudden cancellations like this, shouldn't there be some kind of severance pay for those affected? I'm sure most people working on HoC season 6 will be just fine and considering the speed at which Netflix has commited to kicking out Spacey and commenting on how there's still will to continue the show somehow (either spin-off or the main series continuing without Spacey), I'm sure they'll be pretty ok in the longer term as well, assuming a possible continuation, whatever its form, will be filmed in the same city.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd hope that Spacey's contract would make him liable for loss of income from the crew, but I doubt it.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't make a habit out of defending big corporations but they can't win here.

Based on their statement there's virtually no difference between "they did this because it was the right thing to do" and "they did this because it was the best thing for their business". It's just what each person reading their statement assumes individually and nothing more. We have no idea if the people who made this decision actually cared about the accusations being made or if they were just covering their own asses.
Well, all these companies could, in fact, win. Here's how, take initial complaints from your staff seriously and fire the offenders then and there. If Netflix had done this they'd have dropped Spacey before these new allegations came to light and Netflix would be sitting back going "yep, and we didn't tolerate that shit when he tried it on our turf" and everyone else would be asking why the other studios let him continue working and only Netflix had the balls to can him.

But you're totally correct in the sense that once a studio ignores current staff complaints against a star, essentially becoming complicit in that star's activities, that yes, there's no winning for them once they finally do the right thing.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This was a "business" move by Netflix as they already had reports of him doing things to cast on set that they said was "handled" yet they continued working with Spacey.

It was too big to bury with the momentum the Weinstein story gave it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Well, all these companies could, in fact, win. Here's how, take initial complaints from your staff seriously and fire the offenders then and there. If Netflix had done this they'd have dropped Spacey before these new allegations came to light and Netflix would be sitting back going "yep, and we didn't tolerate that shit when he tried it on our turf" and everyone else would be asking why the other studios let him continue working and only Netflix had the balls to can him.

But you're totally correct in the sense that once a studio ignores current staff complaints against a star, essentially becoming complicit in that star's activities, that yes, there's no winning for them once they finally do the right thing.

Well...
... production assistant had, he told CNN, complained to a supervisor that Spacey was sexually harassing him. The supervisor's solution was to never let the production assistant be alone with Spacey while they were on set...
That's the worst part about this whole thing. I would love to be able to speak out about this kind of stuff and not fear.
Netflix was just made aware of one incident, five years ago, that we were informed was resolved swiftly
Netflix is not aware of any other incidents involving Kevin Spacey on-set
- CNN

It sounds like the people coming forward with these allegations were afraid to speak up because of Spacey's position. One person claims to have spoken to a supervisor but we don't know if that supervisor worked for Netflix. Even if they did, who knows if they actually reported the situation any further up the ladder. You might assume that Netflix is lying about not being aware of Spacey's conduct but that just goes back to my point about this being a no win situation for them in the eyes of some people. Your sarcasm is appreciated though.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like the people coming forward with these allegations were afraid to speak up because of Spacey's position. One person claims to have spoken to a supervisor but we don't know if that supervisor worked for Netflix. Even if they did, who knows if they actually reported the situation any further up the ladder. You might assume that Netflix is lying about not being aware of Spacey's conduct but that just goes back to my point about this being a no win situation for them in the eyes of some people. Your sarcasm is appreciated though.
The "Supervisor" for a Set Production Assistant would be a 2nd Assistant Director. They are the next step up from PA themselves. Don't get paid much more, and also don't ultimately have that much power until they ascend higher. I can very easily see why they wouldn't want to bring it up with anyone, that would be putting their own job in jeopardy too.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very tight knit business. You get let go or you choose to resign and no one wants to hire you. Word gets out. I wonder what happened to that Lighting guy from Bale's verbal assault.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Mercy kill the show now, he's so central to how the show operates I can't see it working, especially considering how downhill the show's writing has been going for the last three seasons.
RIP to Spacey's career, you did this to yourself.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I was in the middle of Season 2 of the show and really enjoying it. I actually tried to go back and watch again after this, but now I get mad when I see his smug face and realize the actor is really as bad as the character he plays.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone think it would be easier to just recast Frank?
I think I would prefer that than to kill him offscreen or just end the series now. Spacey's performance of Underwood was great, but he's also a fourth wall breaking character, so he could just as easily show up looking totally different and call it out, and that would be that.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They will look after the crew. I'm glad his ass is glass.

Wasn't a big portion of the final season already filmed? Plus with sudden cancellations like this, shouldn't there be some kind of severance pay for those affected? I'm sure most people working on HoC season 6 will be just fine and considering the speed at which Netflix has commited to kicking out Spacey and commenting on how there's still will to continue the show somehow (either spin-off or the main series continuing without Spacey), I'm sure they'll be pretty ok in the longer term as well, assuming a possible continuation, whatever its form, will be filmed in the same city.

IIRC production had barely started. And no, they don't look after the crew. 99% of them will be contractors. And TV season has already started so most local productions will have already been staffed up (plus Maryland isn't exactly LA or Vancouver) so if it's cancelled they could potentially be unemployed for 6+ months. They can't just sit around forever waiting for a potentially spinoff or continuation to come and save them, even then the turnaround on new scripts will be months.

11am

Oct 27, 2017
Tupelo MS
I think I would prefer that than to kill him offscreen or just end the series now. Spacey's performance of Underwood was great, but he's also a fourth wall breaking character, so he could just as easily show up looking totally different and call it out, and that would be that.
I mean David Lynch didn't have too much trouble turning major characters into light bulb monsters and stuff. Why not go a Avant garde with it?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

Frank needs to have his demise from the original series, and it needs to be executed faithfully, not rushed off-screen. Frank also being someone that breaks the fourth wall could make for some great moments when a different actor suddenly shows up.

11am

Oct 27, 2017
Tupelo MS
Yeah.

Frank needs to have his demise from the original series, and it needs to be executed faithfully, not rushed off-screen. Frank also being someone that breaks the fourth wall could make for some great moments when a different actor suddenly shows up.
Frank catches a bad case of leperosy and now walks around in a rubber Nixon mask and communicates almost entirely through angry tweets. Bam, shows topical again

11am

Oct 27, 2017
Tupelo MS
latest

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone saying "i'm glad they're keeping the show on for the crew"... no. Just no.

They'll go on to do other, maybe even better things. The show being cancelled wouldn't be the end of their lives. Keeping shit shows in production is not a kindness.