• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys think about rewatching old movie of spacey? Yay or nay?

Amercian Beauty was one of my favorite movie, but now..... I mean he's a great actor but I just could not watch that movie the same way, I don't know about his other movies, do i want to see him again? I know I do want to see Baby Driver, im watching it for edgar wright, not for spacey..

My friends think it's okay to watch his movies even if the guy is a monster.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
What has me curious is how the OP somehow preserved the Variety links in the article quote. How did you achieve this, ZeoVGM?

Oct 27, 2017

Amercian Beauty was one of my favorite movie, but now..... I mean he's a great actor but I just could not watch that movie the same way, I don't know about his other movies, do i want to see him again? I know I do want to see Baby Driver, im watching it for edgar wright, not for spacey..

You can be a horrible person who is also fantastic at their job and puts out great work. It doesn't effect me one bit.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Just do like that change.org petition and replace Kevin Spacey with Kevin James. No one will notice.

Jak

Nov 3, 2017
It's a shame because when KS was in his full stride (Maybe S2?) it was a fucking enjoyable show.

My love for the show waned the further it went in, I'm glad I wont have to force myself to watch future seasons on the premise that I might catch a glimpse of early season magic.

Also;

poochie.jpg

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The films he has done do not get retroactively shit.
Seperate the art from the person that did it.

He is not getting any future work? Good, punishment due.
Shitting on his legacy? Not cool in my opinion.

Baby Driver, Seven, American Beauty are all great movies, and will continue to be, despite Kevin Spacey.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
On one hand, happy they got to him for what he did.
On the other, I'm not liking this at all for the series itself. Season 6 was obviously going to be Claire Vs. Frank till the last episode probably. But who knows, the series became really bad last season, so maybe this is the unexpected shakeup that brings it back to its glory days.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone saying "i'm glad they're keeping the show on for the crew"... no. Just no.

They'll go on to do other, maybe even better things. The show being cancelled wouldn't be the end of their lives. Keeping shit shows in production is not a kindness.
Hollywood is a volatile place. Any semblance of job security is probably welcome.

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
Just make Claire the lead, with an added focus on Doug after Frank Underwood goes to his home planet. It would make for an interesting season when she becomes the president and has to deal with all the shit Francis did, when it comes to light.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I mean, keep the crew and change the show's name. House of Cards as a brand is done. Kill Spacey's character in a car crash or whatever and let Robin Wright shine on as Claire. She's always been the best character of the show anyway.

Transhuman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood is a volatile place. Any semblance of job security is probably welcome.

I mean i'd definitely prefer being stationary because i'm not motivated but I always assumed production crew members were used to the freelancing lifestyle. I mean at most a single job might run a few years if you're very lucky until the show ends and you outgrown that shell for another one.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
With regards to shows replacing the lead and still being good, a bbc show Death in Paradise has done this and I thought the show got better.

Aldo does Doctor Who count?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
did we watch the same movie? spacey was a dude who liked to get high and fantasied about young but legal women, but couldn't actually sleep with one when he got the chance. he was basically the opposite of a homosexual pedophile.

I said creepy. He is creepy in that movie. He is even called a creep by characters in the movie.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said creepy. He is creepy in that movie. He is even called a creep by characters in the movie.
he's a bit more creepy in se7en and the usual suspects. there is nothing in american beauty that would warrant it being called "the creepiest movie ever filmed," and doing so in this context implies there's something about spacey's character that relates to his extracurricular activities.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
he's a bit more creepy in se7en and the usual suspects. there is nothing in american beauty that would warrant it being called "the creepiest movie ever filmed," and doing so in this context implies there's something about spacey's character that relates to his extracurricular activities.

So you don't think a man fantasizing about high school girls is at least broadly creepy in the context of the real-life creepy person?

It sounds like you really like American Beauty.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you don't think a man fantasizing about high school girls is at least broadly creepy in the context of the real-life creepy person?

i would say it's an exceedingly common thing for middle-aged people to do. spacey was like the least creepy character in that movie.

and there is creepy and then there is creepy. spacey in american beauty was your run-of-the-mill creep. real spacey is the real deal that does not relate to a typical midlife crisis perv.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone saying "i'm glad they're keeping the show on for the crew"... no. Just no.

They'll go on to do other, maybe even better things. The show being cancelled wouldn't be the end of their lives. Keeping shit shows in production is not a kindness.

I'm glad they're keeping the show on because I want to watch it. I don't need any mental gymnastics. I like the show and I'm invested in the story.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Why do you feel like you need someone else's approval to watch what you want to watch?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, you're not supporting Kevin Spacey by avoiding it, but you're also slighting Annette Benning.

Then again Sam Mendes is also getting the short end of the stick. And then there's Chris Cooper.

So...uh yeah, films are a collaborative effort. Every movie you liked has an actor, director, or producer who is a slimeball.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I would prefer that than to kill him offscreen or just end the series now. Spacey's performance of Underwood was great, but he's also a fourth wall breaking character, so he could just as easily show up looking totally different and call it out, and that would be that.
I had not thought of that. Yeah, that would be great.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

Of course you can still enjoy his movies. There's a ton of people who put time and effort into every show or movie he's ever been in.

Chances of 100% of the crew making any sort of collaborative art being completely pure and innocent is impossible. Chances are there's a shit person doing something.

Personally I'd need to give it sometime to air out before watching anything with him in it. Dudes a monster, but still showed up in a lot of great movies.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best art over the centuries were created by assholes and perverts...it is what it is.

Shouldnt let it affect your consumption and judgment of art though, or you will miss it on a ton of good shit.