• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for the thread. netflix germany has the show but without this thread, i would have never found it.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really good. I'm 4 episodes in, and everything is downright amazing. The performances , the cinematography, the pacing. It's amazing television, and you are a downright fool if you refuse to watch it.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Looks interesting. Doesn't seem to be out in Australia yet though.

edit: never mind yes it is.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
True but there are issues with that which I won't go to in the thread. Hopefully I wasn't too arsey.
Not at all. The heads up is appreciated. I wasn't actually very familiar with the term although I guess it was a pejorative based on the context of the show. It's always good to give people a heads up to that sort of thing particularly given how many of us are US people are on the board

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it in over 2 days. I really enjoyed it. For those that already finished it how do you feel about
the dance/performance scene in the final episode? It caught me be surprise and I don't really know how to feel about it

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
No. Not at all.

I legit thought it was ok to use the term since the show referred to him in this way as well as other articles about that show that used it to describe the character. My apologies.
Not at all. The heads up is appreciated. I wasn't actually very familiar with the term although I guess it was a pejorative based on the context of the show. It's always good to give people a heads up to that sort of thing particularly given how many of us are US people are on the board

I hadn't thought that it was a UK only term to be honest. No worries. It's good to learn things 👍.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I watched it in over 2 days. I really enjoyed it. For those that already finished it how do you feel about
the dance/performance scene in the final episode? It caught me be surprise and I don't really know how to feel about it

It was odd...i'm not sure about it either. There were other things too that stood out...like the english lyric songs they'd play over certain dramatic scenes and the art aesthetic they used for the recaps.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
It was odd...i'm not sure about it either. There were other things too that stood out...like the english lyric songs they'd play over certain dramatic scenes and the art aesthetic they used for the recaps.

Yeah hearing this song "Heal" multipe times in the japanese scenes was odd.

B-Dex

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Watched the first 2 episodes. Show is great so far. I know it's a BBC show but I'm glad that more companies are making multi-national productions so we get awesome stuff like this now.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Can anyone comment on how much gore in this show? Trying to decide if its something I watch with the wife(she hates it, stopped watching Game of Thrones for example)) or by my self. Maybe spoiler the info just in case, I don't having some scenes spoiled if nessecary..

Thanks

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone comment on how much gore in this show? Trying to decide if its something I watch with the wife(she hates it, stopped watching Game of Thrones for example)) or by my self. Maybe spoiler the info just in case, I don't having some scenes spoiled if nessecary..

Thanks

I wouldn't say its gory. Some dudes getting shot and in typical Yakuza fashion there are some
appendages that got lopped off
where they don't cut away

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Need more impressions cause this looks great and up my alley but I'm really busy right now and need to know if It's really really worth the time investment.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't say its gory. Some dudes getting shot and in typical Yakuza fashion there are some
appendages that got lopped off
where they don't cut away
Thank you. That sounds fine. Was more worried about the small sequence in the trailer with the hammer and what looks like a torture scene.

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this show based on ERA recommendations and it was really a great watch, although I struggle with trying to explain why to people. The core plot is solid, but a lot of what made the show so enjoyable for me were the side-stories that don't necessarily match the expected tone of a show about trying to prevent a Yakuza war.

There's one particular storyline that pops up towards the end of the series that I loved for existing and taking what I thought would be stock side characters and really investing in making them interesting people. Specifically
the decision to give Mori's wife and mother their own mission related to the main plot, and then bringing in the third woman and their whole adventure, was just such a great surprises. Their interactions didn't dramatically change who the characters were, but added a sense of depth they hadn't really gotten in their prior scenes.

It was just a thoroughly enjoyable show for me from start to finish.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
So just finished and uh.. wow. I really enjoyed it.

The series itself doesn't really bring much new to the table, straight laced detective has a brother who works for a gang, drama ensues, that idea feels like it has been done to death. The overall premise is done rather well but separates it is how long it spends developing and how it chooses to develop the main characters.
When things start to pick up, the pace is held steady and time is made to expand on the characters. Which is very refreshing nowadays when we've got shows that like to just spiral out of control. What typically would only fill up 2-3 episodes in another show is expanded out to a whole season here.

I really would like to see some interviews with the team behind this, creatively I find it pretty interesting, there's quite a lot of elements in this that made me feel like I was watching a live action anime adaptation but then it'd be mixed in with what I expect to see out of UK drama. Of course it would go the other way as well depending on the scene. The show kind of sticks out at points because of this but I'm interested in seeing the process behind it.

Absolutely loved;
  • The reveal that the exchange cop was actually Abbot's Plant
  • Roy's development, I've had friends go through similar episodes
  • The farewell to the father

I'm a bit iffy on that scene in ep8, I like what they tried to do with it but it felt out of place. One other things that I was iffy on;

The reveal? of Kenzo by Fukuhara's subordinate to Taki? telling that her father has done things, doesn't have a conscience etc. felt pretty left of field. For the entire show he is there, grappling with right or wrong. I like this train of thought but all the development beforehand goes against it.

Overall I'd highly recommend it, rather enjoyable television.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any talks of a second season? I was pleasantly surprised by this show. As some other users shared, the character development and family aspects were what truly did it for me. Tbh, the Yakuza plot was more of a side plot to me, and the family stories intertwining were the main drive and motivation for me to continue watching this. I didn't expect it, but I resonated with a majority of the characters and their respective relationships to one another. It hit home, despite all the ridiculousness surrounding its grounded interactions. Hoping for more.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
really liked it. hopefully, there will be a second season.
Also don't know, what to think about the scene in the last episode. You know which scene I mean, when you watch the episode.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing the available seasons of Gomorrah (10/10 show), this will probably be the next one on my to-watch list. Should be able to start tonight, hopefully I'll find it compelling!

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I'm upto episode 5.

The show is brilliant!

I also, am not usually keen on yakuza/mafia shows but this is really amazing tv.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Been watching it, enjoying it so far, but I've been having issues with the closed captioning. When characters would talk too close, not actual physical distance, the CC would skip a line or two. When it's in English, I can at least still hear and understand it, but when it's in Japanese, I have to rewind or just guess what they were saying.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Only have the final episode left of this show; it's been good, like the perfect 7+/10 type of show. The acting's on point in general (Kenzo owns!), it's quite beautifully shot and has cool stylistic flairs, it also has a good dose of humor which surprised me and the story is simple but captivating. The only thing that slightly bothers me is that it gives too much time to characters that are tangentially important to the plot. Rodney is the typical example; he's a fun and interesting character, but up to and including episode 7 his arc doesn't seem to have any true relevance to the plot but only to the show's title: "shame". Same with Donna and Justin Long's annoying characters; for Donna, I really don't see her relevance at all.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the final episode. Fantastic show from start to finish. Story is a bit crazy and over the top which I totally liked and I pretty much loved all of the characters which I can't say about many TV shows. Roy was the secret best character. The show really has a great sense of humor.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Easily one of the best things I watched last year, seems to have flown completely under the radar in the UK though sadly. Fingers crossed it gets the attention it deserves now that it's on Netflix.