• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd been meaning to watch this, but never quite found the time. Sorry, folks. :(

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
"We care about you and your stories, just not enough to actually spend time and money on them."
That's not what they're saying at all though. The show didn't get enough viewership.

Also, did people really not get promos for this when it first premiered a few years ago? That's how I found it.

XeroxKopy

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first Netflix cancellation that's hurt. I absolutely adored this show. It made me laugh but I swear each episode had a goal of making me cry at least once. It usually worked, which is unusual for a sitcom.

My wife is gonna be pissed when she finds out.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Heard good things about it, tried to watch, the laugh track made it an instant pass, just can't deal with that anymore. Sorry for the fans though.

digicho

Oct 26, 2017
Uuuuuugh. This is the worst news! I love this show so much. All 3 seasons are great. I'll always remember the season 2 finale made me cry like a baby.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Do you know how many people watch friends?

Do you know how many Latinos watch friends? Maybe they deserve a show that reflects their struggles and values? Not everything needs to be a fucking business decision.

Heard good things about it, tried to watch, the laugh track made it an instant pass, just can't deal with that anymore. Sorry for the fans though.

What a dumb, narrow-minded reason to not watch a show.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't even know it existed. Entirely on Netflix not promoting in the least.

I think for a solid 2 months, every time I opened netflix it was the highlight show staring me in the face with the auto play trailer. Idk how netflix advertises outside of the app, but I wouldn't say they didn't try.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a good Netflix show so I'd be surprised, no offense. Everything they produce is liquid shit.

giphy.gif

I can never take people seriously when they say stuff like this. Yeah, they make some shitty shows, but there are a lot of quality shows on there too. To call it all "liquid shit" is ignorant.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen a good Netflix show so I'd be surprised, no offense. Everything they produce is liquid shit.

Your standards for TV are insane then. I'm assuming that you basically only like stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Mad Men.

Those shows are considered the best that have ever been made. To suggest that anything less than them is liquid shit is just crazy, because while Netflix hasn't out out anything on par with them yet, there is some damn fine TV in there, only a notch or two behind the best of the best.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what they're saying at all though. The show didn't get enough viewership.

Also, did people really not get promos for this when it first premiered a few years ago? That's how I found it.
I get promos and it recommended to me all the time. I'm just not particularly interested in it but I have heard about it

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I were in the middle of Season 3 and I just called to tell her that it was canceled. She's super sad now.

I want to finish the season because I have an obligation to, but damn if this doesn't hurt.

They could've given them a 2 Part Series Finale to wrap things up, I guess. (Don't spoil the end of S3!)

If they cancel Glow before it's natural conclusion, I'm canceling my account.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Fuck. This was such a great series too. I'm glad it got three seasons though. Remember last year when we weren't sure if it was going to continue after two?!

Still, the season 3 finale was a good way to end it as well. There weren't really any loose threads left over and it's still good to watch from beginning to end with no cliffhangers.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the actual show is better than the trailers? Because the one I watched made it look like a CBS comedy.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It was an amazing show. Bummed.

Must be really bad if it got cancelled on Netflix, that's hard to do.

Uh shows are getting cancelled left and right now that there is so much original content available. This is a tired take.

Edit: nevermind just saw your other hot take about everything on Netflix being liquid shit. So your reply makes sense. No need to explain yourself.

Last edited:

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Just started watching this with my girlfriend on her recommendation, and she's gutted by the news. We're both Cuban-American, so we really connected with the show.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm assuming the actual show is better than the trailers? Because the one I watched made it look like a CBS comedy.
Well, it IS based off of the CBS comedy from the 80s...

It's much better than a current-day CBS comedy though. It has a lot of heart and handles subject material that's happening today without talking down to the audience.

Also, if anyone has a phobia of laugh tracks or audiences for sitcoms, get over it. You're doing yourself a disservice by not watching this show and many other multi-cams.

(BTW, if a major network like CBS wants to pick it up, they would get a lot of good karma for it.)

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
It doesn't help that I find the Netflix iPad app to be horrible for searching and browsing shows.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

It is. The trailers make it seem like a typical sitcom. It's much more dramatic than that. Also, the pilot sucks so don't base your judgment on that one episode. It would be like giving up on Spartacus after the pilot (which would be understandable).

Allstar

Feb 9, 2019
by request:

This is one of the very best shows on Netflix. Anyone who's into good quality TV and likes to call themselves a tv fan needs to watch this.

Want good acting? Check. Rita Moreno transcends the clichés of the stereotypical, old Latina woman by taking the wonderfully played eccentrics that have made her a star and placing their roots in real anxieties that lay open what is hidden behind the facade of someone who's raised a family in a cross-cultural landscape and had to leave the culture of her birth behind. Moreno can flesh out her character and add a new dimension within a single minute monologue and make it feel as convincable as it could be (and by that I mean, literally a one minute monoluge - spoilers ahead). Justina Machado anchors Moreno's comedic brilliance at every turn with one of the most well-balanced mixtures of dramatic and comedic timing there is on tv and, just like the family matriarch she is portraying, holds this show together by always rooting a scene in the necessary realism or the necessary humor right in that very moment.

Want to feel represented on tv? ODAAT is one of the best representations for Latina women on tv ever, but the show's storylines, while extremely intimate and personal, are so carefully tuned and designed that each story is pinned on an angle that feels beautifully applicable to others, as well. Minorities, immigrants, colored people, LGBTQ+, women, life as a senior citizen, teenagers, the mid-income American household, people struggling with notions of national identity and its blurred lines, family heritage, mental illness, war trauma, patriotism. You name it, they have it.

In fact, I cannot think of a single reason for anyone to not watch this show. It's political, but not judgy. It's fun and light, a fast watch, but full of depth, insight and intellect. And most of all, it's full of heart. One Day at a Time and its stellar cast could not be collaborating more perfectly together and their optimistic intents and hopeful depictions of heavy events and topics are so full of warmth and heart that I have no doubt everyone would feel a better person coming out of watching it, or at the very least, they'll feel better about themselves.

So, if you love yourself, or if you want to love yourself more, watch this on Netflix RIGHT NOW and make sure it gets bought elsewhere. And anyone who has the nerve to say they love TV or dub themselves a "tv fan" without having seen this, pls lmfao get back in line and have all the SEATS in the room.

dance.gif

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching this recently and am already at the end of the second season. I kind of partly started watching because I had read that it needed more support and wished maybe I'd be a part of a wave of new viewers and that'd get Netflix to renew it.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Must be pretty dreadful ratings
That's kind of part of it: no one knows! I'm not at all conspiracy theorizing or saying that the move is deliberate or whatever other hot takes there might be, but the fact that Netflix doesn't release viewership metrics means that literally no one knows! Like, what exactly is their metric for low viewership on a show that should be very, very cheap to make? Is viewership actually low, or do they have unrealistic expectations, or a combination of the two? And how much of that is due to Netflix spending basically nothing on promotion or advertising (for this and many other programs) and just letting the Algorithm take care of things for them? Who knows? I sure don't! Nor do I trust Netflix to properly analyze the metrics that they hide and that no one else knows!

Oct 25, 2017

Until Netflix begins releasing actual numbers we can't just blindly accept "bad numbers". We have 0 baseline for what let's a show live or die

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Damnit. Netflix I swear is getting less and less content (that I want to watch anyways). This is one of the few shows I still enjoy from them. And all it seems to have these days is a bunch of their own shows which vary in quality and don't have many episodes leaving me with having to find another show to watch constantly. And not even enough that I really feel like I'm running out of stuff to watch (even mediocre stuff that I can handle listening to while I do chores).

I dislike hulu's App and that it has commercials (and last I checked though it was long ago it's the same commercial over and over) but do they at least have a lot of syndicated shows? Netflix does not seem to get their own content is not enough, especially when they either cancel the good stuff or absolutely ruin it (*cough* house of cards).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That doesnt make it any better. The jokes werent that funny. But even live audiences have studio plants and play tricks with the audio in post.
Get over it. People laugh at things that you don't. Don't let it distract you from watching the people on the screen. They put in hard work (and so did the crew behind the scenes) and have had to fight for their show getting renewed for three years now.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if anyone has a phobia of laugh tracks or audiences for sitcoms, get over it. You're doing yourself a disservice by not watching this show and many other multi-cams.

Get over it. People laugh at things that you don't. Don't let it distract you from watching the people on the screen. They put in hard work (and so did the crew behind the scenes) and have had to fight for their show getting renewed for three years now.

Live studio laughter/laugh tracks (I understand this show doesn't use a laugh track) is an instant turnoff for me and has historically been a good indicator of whether or not I'll like a show. Even as a kid I didn't like it. Saying "get over it" is not useful in trying to get people to watch the show.

I can and do feel bad for the fans and appreciate the work, heart and representation that went into the show while also not finding what I'm seeing enjoyable enough to invest my time in. This goes for any show, movie, album, video game, etc...

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you so defensive? I think it's time to go outside for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.