• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a lot of this with my daughter, great show.

But I actually thought season 3 was the planned ending.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Until Netflix begins releasing actual numbers we can't just blindly accept "bad numbers". We have 0 baseline for what let's a show live or die
What else are we supposed to go by, then? Netflix says not enough people watched and then we have people in this thread and on Facebook saying they never even heard of the show.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Your standards for TV are insane then. I'm assuming that you basically only like stuff like The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Mad Men.

Those shows are considered the best that have ever been made. To suggest that anything less than them is liquid shit is just crazy, because while Netflix hasn't out out anything on par with them yet, there is some damn fine TV in there, only a notch or two behind the best of the best.
I'd remove Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but yes, The Wire and The Sopranos are basically the pinnacle of TV.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'd remove Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but yes, The Wire and The Sopranos are basically the pinnacle of TV.

Okay, so does it make sense to you to call anything less than the pinnacle of TV "liquid shit?" Because the best of Netflix isn't THAT far behind The Wire and The Sopranos

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They barely promoted this thing. Like, at all.

Netflix is weird. Have they commented about advertising before? It almost seems like a majority of these shows get zero advertising budget outside of the platform itself and they rely solely on social media and word of mouth.

And unless they "go viral" don't get much in the way of post release support.

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
Netflix is weird. Have they commented about advertising before? It almost seems like a majority of these shows get zero advertising budget outside of the platform itself and they rely solely on social media and word of mouth.

And unless they "go viral" don't get much in the way of post release support.
Netflix demands the results but doesn't want to put in the work.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with that statement?
"Your stories and representation are important! We must continue to find ways to tell these stories! ...but not this story, we aren't going to continue telling this one."

It's extremely tone deaf. Don't talk about how committed you are to representation in the context of cancelling a show that was celebrated for its representation. Especially since they barely ever promoted the show.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What a shame. I discovered the show from a lot of praise on Twitter because Netflix barely ever recommended me this show but they're happy to always throw goddamn Ricky Gervais and Joe Rogan shit at me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"Your stories and representation are important! We must continue to find ways to tell these stories! ...but not this story, we aren't going to continue telling this one."

It's extremely tone deaf. Don't talk about how committed you are to representation in the context of cancelling a show that was celebrated for its representation. Especially since they barely ever promoted the show.
Shit gets canceled all the time, it doesn't mean they don't care about representation and Netflix's immense backlog is proof of their commitment.

It's especially weird to get on their case when this show has already gotten three seasons.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Then, you clearly don't watch enough.
- Derry Girls
- Crashing
- Lovesick
- Mindhunter
- ODAAT
- Maniac
- The Crown
- GLOW
- American Vandal
- Russian Doll
- Bojack Horseman
All of those are shit except for Mindhunter, I forgot that was a Netflix show so I'll give you that. Though even that isn't what I'd call amazing, so tough luck.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Okay, so does it make sense to you to call anything less than the pinnacle of TV "liquid shit?" Because the best of Netflix isn't THAT far behind The Wire and The Sopranos
I don't think I can answer that properly. If I were to agree that "the best of Netflix isn't THAT far behind The Wire and The Sopranos", I would then be essentially saying that those shows are shit, seeing as the best Netflix has is hot garbage.

The best I could say about Netflix shows is that Mindhunter was okay, Haunting on Hill House was well shot (but was terribly acted and the characters themselves were overwhelmingly unlikable), and that Ozark started off decently enough but quickly went downhill.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Netflix of all people should give like a short final season order to every show they cancel.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
200.gif

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: trolling
People upset that a show they liked is getting cancelled because of Netflix's lack of promotion? Let's actually discuss how it sucks and there's no loss here, and before you ask, no I didn't watch it.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This show probably isn't $$$ to produce and has a very underrepresented,vocal audience championing it, hard to imagine it isn't picked somewhere. Even if it wouldn't be wholly " profitable", the sheer positive press and goodwill it will generate for whichever service picks it up would be enough

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I scroll through Netflix constantly and have never heard of this or even seen the little poster image.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I watch a decent amount of Netflix shows and I've never heard of it until today. Some of you already mentioned there's no huge cliffhanger at the end of season 3 so I will watch it.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Was expecting more discussion about this show on this forum other than a single other thread spanning two pages of discussion.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Live studio laughter/laugh tracks (I understand this show doesn't use a laugh track) is an instant turnoff for me and has historically been a good indicator of whether or not I'll like a show. Even as a kid I didn't like it. Saying "get over it" is not useful in trying to get people to watch the show.

I can and do feel bad for the fans and appreciate the work, heart and representation that went into the show while also not finding what I'm seeing enjoyable enough to invest my time in. This goes for any show, movie, album, video game, etc...

Why are you so defensive? I think it's time to go outside for a bit.

I am a bit upset that a show I genuinely enjoyed for the last three years is not getting a fourth, so there's that. The announcement also kind of caught me off-guard since it happened on a random Thursday afternoon. There's also just this overall dismissive attitude (whether intentional or not) towards laugh tracks/studio audiences in general, especially on this forum, that makes it seem like any show or event that has it must not be good because of it. I read replies on here all the time about how users get uncomfortable when watching livestreams of award shows or other live events because of the audience. (The word "cringe" comes up way too much.)

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as defensive. Reading some comments and replies that say that they've never heard or watched this show, see a little 2-minute trailer, and then dismiss/talk shit about it just get to me because of how reactionary some people are.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of the show until the thread here... I guess I'll watch this now to see what I missed. I swear I never saw this show promoted on Netflix

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
They barely promoted this thing. Like, at all.

I'm not sure about that. This is the first time I've ever seen it talked about in-depth (...possibly at all?), but I've seen it pop up a bunch of times - enough that I immediately knew the show in question. As an icon, a trailer, and a screensaver. (Confession: there was a stretch where I thought one of the actresses was Vanessa Bayer, and I feel guilty about that after reading the show is about a Cuban-American family.)

Either way, I'm definitely going to check it out now. Seems like a wonderful show, and I hope it's picked up elsewhere.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
MĂ©xico
Well, add me to the "Never knew it even existed" , i just checked thinking maybe it wasn't available here in Mexico but it is, with a pretty generic thumbnail too

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Was expecting more discussion about this show on this forum other than a single other thread spanning two pages of discussion.

Yeah this seemed like it should be a show if not beloved/championed by the forum, at least got some eyeballs/a chance here due to its topical nature and representation. I guess a lot of the struggle is getting people in the door seeing as how many people seem to not even know what this show is until it got cancelled.

A lot of people also seem stuck on it being a sitcom, laugh track, multi-cam, etc.

:shrugs: not sure what can be done about the latter if thats their barrier of entry

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I really tried to get into this but just found it PAINFULLY avarage. As a Puertorican man, yes I related to the situations, but outside of that, not much to write home about.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this seemed like it should be a show if not beloved/championed by the forum, at least got some eyeballs/a chance here due to its topical nature and representation. I guess a lot of the struggle is getting people in the door seeing as how many people seem to not even know what this show is until it got cancelled.

A lot of people also seem stuck on it being a sitcom, laugh track, multi-cam, etc.

:shrugs: not sure what can be done about the latter if thats their barrier of entry
This was a problem for all the people I told about the show. Sitcoms are just not for everyone and unfortunately the writing was just not enough to make up for that.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
WOW! I've never seen an episode, but I was surprised when I saw it on several lists of top shows on Netflix. Guess I won't watch it now

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
WOW! I've never seen an episode, but I was surprised when I saw it on several lists of top shows on Netflix. Guess I won't watch it now
Go ahead and watch if you're interested. The final season ends very well and works fine as a series finale. There's a bit of a cliffhanger, but nothing major.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
If only all the people online writing hot takes about the show and its cancellation and representation actually fucking watched the show, it would have a season 4. /bitter

Would consistently pop up on my Netflix acct and finally started watching. That said, netflix just cancelled all the Marvel shows too, so I believe them when they say it is a business decision (especially because they don't make ODAAT, so it is much more expensive for them).

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Go ahead and watch if you're interested. The final season ends very well and works fine as a series finale. There's a bit of a cliffhanger, but nothing major.
Guess it'll be my wife and my next show after we finish Fuller House (groan). My wife recalls the original show from the eighties (?). And she's a sucker for nostalgia so I'm sure she'll be all about it

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, they promoted it quite a lot whenever I use Netflix and I fail to see how you can blame them for giving a show three seasons to catch on before axing it.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GOD WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY

I really hope someone else picks this show up for at least one more season. They can't just end on a cliffhanger like that!

I wanna know what happens in Cuba!

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Am I missing something here?

This show was not funny or entertaining, I got half way through season 1 and just never went back, their wasn't a single character that was funny, also I never heard anyone talk about it....ever.

I don't mean to sound like trolling and it sucks for people that liked it, but I genuinely mean it when I say I never heard anyone talk about it, honestly thought it got canned ages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.