• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In the midst of a pro basketball lockout, sports agent Ray Burke (André Holland) finds himself caught in the face-off between the league and the players. His career is on the line, but Ray is playing for higher stakes. With only 72 hours to pull off a daring plan, he outmaneuvers all the power-players as he uncovers a loophole that could change the game forever. The outcome raises questions of who owns the game – and who ought to. Directed by Academy Award winner Steven Soderbergh (Traffic) from a script by Academy Award winner Tarell Alvin McCraney (Moonlight) HIGH FLYING BIRD features an acclaimed ensemble cast that includes Zazie Beetz, Melvin Gregg, Sonja Sohn, Zachary Quinto, Kyle MacLachlan and Bill Duke, plus appearances from NBA athletes Reggie Jackson, Karl-Anthony Towns and Donovan Mitchell.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Andre Holland? Soderbergh? All in. I had no idea Netflix was putting out a soderbergh film but I'm glad to see them pulling in talent. Every day he doesn't retire is a good day (rip the knick)

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Is this using iPhones again? The camera work looks really odd, I'm sure I'll get used to it but it's pretty jarring.

The film looks great apart from that though.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Nice cast, André Holland rocks (watch The Knick), Melvin Gregg was great in American Vandal and ofc Kyle MacLachlan is a legend.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad that Soderbergh is sticking with Holland after the Knick, dude deserves the spotlight.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
That plot summary reads horribly, but that trailer has me intrigued and I like the cast. Seems like a strange film for Soderbergh. Definitely will watch.

Also: That is Demarcus Tillman from American Vandal! Actually really liked him as an actor in that.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. But...what's it about? I assume based on a true story, but I'm clueless. NBA strike, and it's about scabs who play non-NBA games?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
If they win with Roma at the Oscars then I expect Netflix to keep reeling in great talent and movies. A far cry from the last couple years of shitty made for TV movies lol.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
9590fb0ad9a58461e28668d1403e52b0.gif

Watch The Knick, you fucks.

madkiller

May 29, 2018
Chirst, look at the compositions in that trailer. Soderbergh can work his magic even with an iphone.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chirst, look at the compositions in that trailer. Soderbergh can work his magic even with an iphone.

Agreed. One of the most visually striking trailers that I can remember. His use of wide angle and intimate composition belie the conceit of mobile photography. Once one sees it, they can't unsee it.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Holland

Soderbergh

Zazie

and mother f'in

Demarcus Tillman?

tumblr_pf6nluf5e91wvvyspo6_500.gif

140% in

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that guy was great in The Knick.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the cheap iPhone look that this has and Unsane had but day one for more soderbergh. so soon too..whew

great cast in here. love seeing andre holland and kyle mclachlan pop up.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
The story isn't 100% clear to me from the trailer, but I am on board for all the names involved.
Sounds like the basic premise is that there's an NBA lockout and Andre Holland, as some superstar's agent, is trying to create some sort of streaming/online competitor to the NBA in the gap the league stoppage has created rather than waiting for a deal to be reached between the players and owners.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly, Zazie Beetz lured me into the thread. lol

I've seen Andre Holland a few times. Impressive actor.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like the cheap iPhone look that this has and Unsane had but day one for more soderbergh. so soon too..whew

great cast in here. love seeing andre holland and kyle mclachlan pop up.

I don't get the temptation to experiment with filming on phones. Honestly it does the opposite of inspiring confidence in me of the quality of the film.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the use of the phone camera in Unsane was really good, it fit thematically and Soderbergh made excellent use of the small size of the camera.

If he's done it again with this I don't doubt his reasoning. Looking forward to it.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the temptation to experiment with filming on phones. Honestly it does the opposite of inspiring confidence in me of the quality of the film.

For soderbergh I think there's the sense of being able to film fast and inexpensively. The man seems brimming with a need to pump out work (quality work at that), so the sheer flexibility gives him a sense of freedom.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Steven Soderbergh is one productive dude. Hopefully this is more Logan Lucky Soderbergh and less Unsane Soderbergh.

The only director that I trust to do iPhone filming right is Sean Baker. Tangerine is fantastic.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's good!
Soderbergh doesn't seem to care if his characters are right or wrong; he just likes watching them struggle to assert their own value against an indifferent system — a corporation, a government, or a virus — even if that struggle costs them everything in the end. In his phenomenal new "High Flying Bird," a Promethean sports drama that hums with the verve and purpose of Soderbergh's very best work, that system is the NBA. And it's profoundly broken. Not because the fans have stopped buying tickets, but rather because the old white men who own the teams want to feel as though they own the young black players, as well.

If Ray is to talk his way out of Tarell Alvin McCraney's sly and snippy script, he'll have to pilfer back enough power to change the rules to his advantage. One way or another, "High Flying Bird" will become a heist movie by the end.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that Soderbergh movies launch so early in the year and are subsequently forgotten/snubbed when Oscar season rolls around.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just watched it. I know almost nothing about basketball so the finer details went over my head but it was a really interesting story all the same.

The iPhone format worked really well and the cast was great (especially Andre Holland).

Only real complaint is some of the dialogue is really expository. Like characters are overtly running down information for the audience's benefit and it was kinda distracting.

Very solid Netflix Original though.