• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I really dug it. Screenplay was really clever. The acting all around was incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
9590fb0ad9a58461e28668d1403e52b0.gif

Watch The Knick, you fucks.

This is a great show that I've never seen anyone really talk about. Baffling.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching this now, and so far it's really good.

That said, is Bill Duke oaky? He looks sick.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i really like the poster but "and a writer of Moonlight" cracks me up.

didn't know about the iPhone 7 thing, although that is def Soderbergh's speed

Dali said:
I'm watching this now, and so far it's really good.
it still blows me away when people stop watching a movie to post about that movie

I am an old so I guess I don't multitask like that but I always give a film my attention. or pause it at the very least but I wouldn't go on Era in the middle of a viewing. again not trying to bag on you Dali but holy shit is that weird to me

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
i really like the poster but "and a writer of Moonlight" cracks me up.

didn't know about the iPhone 7 thing, although that is def Soderbergh's speed

it still blows me away when people stop watching a movie to post about that movie

I am an old so I guess I don't multitask like that but I always give a film my attention. or pause it at the very least but I wouldn't go on Era in the middle of a viewing. again not trying to bag on you Dali but holy shit is that weird to me
I interrupt tv shows to watch other shows sometimes. You can call it multitasking or no attention span or whatever. I've interrupted the viewing or watched while simultaneously working, cooking, sleeping, and running errands. After finally finishing it my overal opinion is I like it, but it was very anticlimactic. Also the dude staring at the ceiling during his interviews makes me irrationally want to slap the shit out of either him or the director for allowing it to fly.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that Soderbergh movies launch so early in the year and are subsequently forgotten/snubbed when Oscar season rolls around.
He was last nominated (and won) in 2000...which seems like some kind of crime (although he was double-nominated for directing for two films that year). Luckily, for those of us that care about that stuff, he has another film coming out later this year that's classic award season bait.

--------------------

I watched High Flying Bird last year, I enjoyed it a lot. Interesting and timely insight into labor empowerment in sports and in general.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it yesterday. Was kinda enjoyable. Nice touch that Zazie Beetz dubbed herself in german, haha.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
is it just me or does the movie look like it's been recorded with a GoPro? looks like through a fish-eye lense very often, and on paning shots/moving backgrounds there's that telltale GoPro/Action camera fluidity in the picture.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I just randomly checked this out this morning. I'm so happy I did. Really good performances, and great screenplay.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
close. recorded on a iPhone 7.

This was actually misreported. His last film was iPhone 7. This one was iPhone 8 using different lens adapters and the FiLmiC Pro app (~$30).

FiLmiC Pro is remarkably great, and honestly anyone can pull off this Level of quality with their phone provided they.l can teach themselves to colorgrade.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
close. recorded on a iPhone 7.
well, damn...
This was actually misreported. His last film was iPhone 7. This one was iPhone 8 using different lens adapters and the FiLmiC Pro app (~$30).

FiLmiC Pro is remarkably great, and honestly anyone can pull off this Level of quality with their phone provided they.l can teach themselves to colorgrade.
but it still showed up in the end product.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

HIGH-FLYING-BIRD_BTS_02.jpg

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
well, damn...

but it still showed up in the end product.

I mean, I'm not disputing that it doesn't look like it was shot on a phone, I'm just pointing out the error.

That being said, it looks pretty phenomenal for a movie shot entirely with cell phones. The noise clean up and color grading was done remarkably well.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how it was really funny without trying to be. Well without seeming like it was trying to be funny. "I just had sex" gave me a hard laugh in what was a pretty tense scene.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Great flick. Watched it on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Both the script and the iPhone thing really makes you want to get out there and do shit too, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. It moved a little too quick for me at times but in the end I appreciated the brevity. Feels like a lot of films go on for too long but not this one.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. It moved a little too quick for me at times but in the end I appreciated the brevity. Feels like a lot of films go on for too long but not this one.
Still haven't watched this film yet, but I do feel like more films are bloated for no reason and don't enhance the narrative in any meaningful way. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking but I feel like more films in the past did a lot more with less at 90 minute runtimes.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The runtime was part of what made me watch this to be honest. Always on the lookout for shorter films.

Oct 27, 2017
Still haven't watched this film yet, but I do feel like more films are bloated for no reason and don't enhance the narrative in any meaningful way. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking but I feel like more films in the past did a lot more with less at 90 minute runtimes.

This just occurred to me but we also used to have films like Lawrence of Arabia and Gone with the Wind that were like four hours long lol. So at least most modern blockbusters don't got that long haha

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Not saying that the results were bad, but why would you shoot a movie like this on a phone? Just to say you did it or did they actually have an ultra low budget?

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017

What are you even talking about. 90 is like the bare minimal for movies.

This has the 35 shortest movies in the imdb top 250 and one is over 60 mins and the rest is over like 80 minutes.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls071822246/

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying that the results were bad, but why would you shoot a movie like this on a phone? Just to say you did it or did they actually have an ultra low budget?
Gives the film a certain look and aesthetic. Unsane and Baker's Tangerine really benefited.

In this film, it creates a vibe like we're getting an inside peek behind the curtain

Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Moved along at a brisk pace, the cast were really good, especially Andre Holland.

Did the restaurant scene after the opening interview remind anyone of the bar scene that opens The Social Network? The rata-tat-tat of the dialogue and snappy pacing instantly brought that to mind for me.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's all shot using IPhone 7's.
That's fucking nuts
HIGH-FLYING-BIRD_BTS_02.jpg

I was surprised that it only took 3 hours to rough cut.

Looks like they cut a shitload out of production time and costs.

Bad news for film industry workers, great news for low budget high quality pics.

TatteredFrayedAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

Ahh taht's the predator guy

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i can't tell if this film is done in 24 or 30 or 60. Apple needs to fix the phone so panning shots don't look like shit due to the jittering.