• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

cuties.jpg

WTF IS GOING ON

Mod Edit: Synopsis:
Cuties (French: Mignonnes) is a 2020 French teen coming-of-age comedy drama film written and directed by Maïmouna Doucouré on her feature film directorial debut.[1] The film stars Fathia Youssouf, Médina El Aidi-Azouni and Maïmouna Gueye in the lead roles. The film is based on a traditional Senegalese Muslim girl who is caught and torn between two contrasting fortunes, traditional values and internet culture while also speaks about hyper sexualization of pre-adolescent girls.[2][3] The plot of the film also drew comparisons resembling similar to few prominent films such as The Fits, a 2015 American drama film directed by Anna Rose Holmer, 2019 French-Senegalese drama film Atlantics directed by Mati Diop and Girlhood, a 2014 French drama film directed by Céline Sciamma.[4] The film was premiered in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition sector of 2020 Sundance Film Festival on 23 January 2020 and won the Directing Jury Award praising the script of the film.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
think of how many people had to approve this

and think that not a single one of them said no

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this is just little girls dancing? How's this any different from young cheerleaders or the little girls in those pageant shows?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She penned the script for her debut feature film Cuties in early 2017 taking her life experience as a refugee girl into account. The script eventually won the Sundance's Global Filmmaking Award in 2017.[8] The film is based on a traditional Senegalese Muslim girl who is caught and torn between two contrasting fortunes, traditional values and internet culture while also speaks about hyper sexualization of pre-adolescent girls. It was premiered in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition sector of 2020 Sundance Film Festival on 23 January 2020 and won the Directing Jury Award praising the script of the film.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory generalizations
quite a roller coaster this one

before clicking the thread, "can't be that bad"

after clicking the thread "it is that bad"

after clicking the trailer "of course, it's a french movie"

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
God I hate shit like this. Toddlers and Tiaras too, my sister would watch that show and it was so creepy.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The trailer makes this look a tad more legit than the movie's poster and title suggest. But still, wow.

Waiting for people to start gaslighting with "You're the pervert for seeing something wrong with this!"

Those poses and outfits, bruh. Kids don't understand the connotations of that stuff.

z9quab1.jpg

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhWHAT
Jesus.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saw this on Twitter and ended up reading the Letterboxd reviews for some takes on the actual film.

People seem quite split between it being an intelligent deconstruction of hypersexualisation in general and being exploitative and problematic.

I'm not watching it myself as that poster leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I imagine that even if the former is the case, it is hard to justify it not being the latter also.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
This is a arthouse French movie, this is the original poster for the theatrical release in France:
MV5BYzZiMTMzMDUtMzVmOS00ODZjLThiNDQtNmY2NzIxZjBmZGM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzM3NDI3._V1_.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible poster but the trailer looks good.

Unfortunately, kneejerk reactions will always be king.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Why am I not surprised it's French
quite a roller coaster this one

before clicking the thread, "can't be that bad"

after clicking the thread "it is that bad"

after clicking the trailer "of course, it's a french movie"
I know the French have been stereotyped as cheese eating surrender monkeys for years, but I've never once thought of the country as promoting pedophilia...

Is this a thing?

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It'sa movie about a girl learning to dance to go to the dance competition. Look, I may be ace but there's nothing sexual here. Y'all need to grow up.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
She penned the script for her debut feature film Cuties in early 2017 taking her life experience as a refugee girl into account. The script eventually won the Sundance's Global Filmmaking Award in 2017.[8] The film is based on a traditional Senegalese Muslim girl who is caught and torn between two contrasting fortunes, traditional values and internet culture while also speaks about hyper sexualization of pre-adolescent girls. It was premiered in the World Cinema Dramatic Competition sector of 2020 Sundance Film Festival on 23 January 2020 and won the Directing Jury Award praising the script of the film.

When you read this, it's like, okay, I see where they're going, but then you see the final product and...oof, man. This wasn't a good idea.

Oh yeah, France has had something a past of these types of movies that explore female sexuality at a very young age. Though, honestly, this is kind on the young side even for those weird arthouse films.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
in general I think if the content of the fictional work is about the topic, and handled in a mature way, the work itself is not guilty of anything.

This looks like a competent movie with artistic merit, so it's fine.