• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

We already knew the show was going to start filming soon, but this is the fist we've seen of a plot summary and something more official on Netflix channels (Even though it has now been pulled). I wonder if the plan is to announce this officially along with other RE content such as Resident Evil 3 previews.

The show itself sounds like it's indeed going for something more akin to horror than the films that will explore the background of umbrella (Which had been rumored as well).

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds promising!

cd923effd086364e9c3d2fea8fdad278.gif

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Didnt they film a movie like 2 years ago that still hasnt been released?

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter came out the same month as RE7
Resident Evil: Vendetta (The CG film) came out later

After that, it has just been back and forth on if they want to do a movie or show.
As of right now, the last rumor was that they're going to do both. But it looks like the show will happen first.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
"Greenwood Asylum" does not sound promising tbh, but I suppose "this abandoned asylum has a secret underground laboratory" works a lot better than "this mansion out in the middle of the woods that doesn't seem to have an actual address secretly has an underground laboratory and dozens of scientists living and working here but no one in the nearby small midwestern town noticed"

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So a story not connected directly to any of the games? Best possible scenario.

I hope they don't fuck it up. And please have Chris or Jill make an appearance.

EDIT: 26 years after the T-Virus would set the year as 2024. Strange. RE never goes that far into the future.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
It seems that production will begin in May/June in South Africa and will wrap in October. There are 8 episodes of 1 hour planned.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
When they say "discovery of the T-Virus," I wonder if they mean the actual discovery (IIRC in the 70s), or the original outbreak in 1998. Would be two very different timeframes, basically a prequel series or one set in the modern day.

That's assuming it's using the games universe and not the movies or its own thing.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
When they say "discovery of the T-Virus," I wonder if they mean the actual discovery (IIRC in the 70s), or the original outbreak in 1998. Would be two very different timeframes, basically a prequel series or one set in the modern day.

That's assuming it's using the games universe and not the movies or its own thing.

I hope it is the former.

Had enough of the more modern aesthetics in the current movies.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

I assume it's doing it's own thing and will be set in modern day. "The 26 years ago" is almost assuredly only going to come into play when one of the main characters is 26 years old and infected with the cure or whatever rather than trying to match up with the game's timeline

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, it can't be referring to the original outbreak if Umbrella is around and mucking about.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic. Setting it in a new town decades after the Raccoon City outbreak means they can namedrop it and reference it as needed without feeling as though they need to retell the story of the games.

Plus "2024" is basically "in the near future".

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still just want an adaptation of the first 3 games. They easily provide enough to work into a 3 series tv show.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
More things they made up that have nothing to do with the games (not that they didn't do an awful job whenever anything was taken from the games too, though).
It can't be any worse than the movie series... right?
Same studio (which was also responsible for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones), because apparently it's so hard for Capcom to just find anyone else, so very unlikely that it'll be any better either.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it can't be referring to the original outbreak if Umbrella is around and mucking about.

Could be, though I think they could do the same thing via the "legacy" of Umbrella, since the world is still feeling the effects of their actions even in the modern day with all the BOWs still mucking about (to say nothing of Blue Umbrella or whatever is around in RE7).

That being said, a story set in 1998 or close to that, happening right before or after the Raccoon events would be really cool, especially in the immediate post-RE2/3 era where the wheels are starting to come off at Umbrella but the government hasn't quite started investigating them yet.

My fear, though, is that it's simply its own universe and Clearfield is just being used as a Raccoon-equivilent. Would remove any barrier to entry for new viewers, though.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Is it forbidden by Capcom to do a movie adaptation of the actual games? Like it's a right thing and you can do something different but not the story from the game?

Seems they are making up more things in this once again and it probably won't be for the best.

Jul 18, 2018

Prequel would be the safer option wouldn't it? Less scrutiny of messing with characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Set in Maryland but filmed in South Africa? Yeah, I'm going to have a hard time not being distracted by this considering I grew up in the DMV.

(I hope some of it is set in PG County)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Fingers crossed it's animated and does end up being more horror focused.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read a Spanish source a week ago about this that says that the story is around wesker's daughter
Two timelines, one in the future (wesker is a family man lol) and the other in the past (how everything go to hell)

I hope that 2024 thing isn't a confirmation about that rumor

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure it's not going to be animated if they're actually filming.

Totally in for more Resident Evil though.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
More things they made up that have nothing to do with the games (not that they didn't do an awful job whenever anything was taken from the games too, though).

Same studio (which was also responsible for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones), because apparently it's so hard for Capcom to just find anyone else, so very unlikely that it'll be any better either.
Constantin owns the film rights to the series. Capcom literally can't find anyone else.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So a story not connected directly to any of the games? Best possible scenario.

I hope they don't fuck it up. And please have Chris or Jill make an appearance.

EDIT: 26 years after the T-Virus would set the year as 2024. Strange. RE never goes that far into the future.
I'm cautiously optimistic. Setting it in a new town decades after the Raccoon City outbreak means they can namedrop it and reference it as needed without feeling as though they need to retell the story of the games.

Plus "2024" is basically "in the near future".
I'm under the impression that they moved the date of the incident back from 1998 to be 26 years from modern day

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

That's disappointing, though Netflix has been good with video game shows so far, so maybe there's hope.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Man I remember the "Arklay" proof of concept video that came out a little while ago from the last time someone tried to make a Resident Evil show,

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Look forward to this whatever it ends up being. I'd prefer either live action more grounded to the RE game plots ( That in itself barely makes sense ) or a CGI show. I thought the CGI films were fun.