chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix appears to be planning its most expensive streaming tier yet. Currently, the company offers three different tiers, starting at $7.99 per month and maxing out at $13.99. That could soon change, however…

According to Italian blog Tutto Android, Netflix is plotting the rollout of a new "Ultra" tier that would be priced at €16.99, which comes out to around $20 per month. Promotional material for this new streaming package indicates that it would essentially be the same as the current "Premium" tier.

As you can see in the image below, the rollout of the Ultra plan would seemingly halve the number of concurrent streams from four to two for Premium subscribers. The Ultra tier would then offer four streams at the higher price point. Meanwhile, the Standard tier would also be halved from two streams to one.
https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/03/netflix-ultra-plan-premium-changes/

screen-shot-2018-07-03-at-7-42-13-pm.png

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
Time to cancel
Not because of this though, there is just nothing there for me to watch anyway

OP
OP
chadskin

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
In Germany they're also testing a €19.99 ($23) 'Ultra' option that exclusively includes HDR while not limiting the number of streams on Premium:

GHfx8ce.png

Last edited:

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they remove the HDR option from me I'm canceling Netflix
I'm already paying for 4K when they barely include any content with it.

They can go fuck themselves in the ass with this shit.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that they are introducing higher priced tiers but still have no minimum subscription time requirement. I know I have become a 3 months a year Netflix subscriber ever since the price went over 10€.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't affect me, I don't need more than one simultaneous stream. Annoys me that I have to pay for four streams to get 4K streaming. This won't help that of course, but I wish they had a slightly cheaper single 4K stream option.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
If they remove the HDR option from me I'm canceling Netflix
I'm already paying for 4K when they barely include any content with it.

They can go fuck themselves in the ass with this shit.

Same. I love the convenience of Netflix, but I already feel like I'm paying too much for what I've got.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Never gonna be happy about a price hike but I pay like £11 a month for the 4K package and feel like I more than get my money's worth.

If this means we get more auteurs making Netflix Originals I'm not that mad.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still shocked I have to pay extra for HD streams. How many people aren't watching things in HD these days?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
In Germany they're also testing a €19.99 ($23) 'Ultra' option that exclusively includes HDR while not limiting the amount of streams on Premium:

GHfx8ce.png
An extra €6 a month for HDR?

Good luck with that.

In fact good luck with essentially putting price rises on everything by downgrading existing subscriptions too.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
But that would be for new subscribers, right? They cannot change current subscriptions to remove features and add it them to more expensive tiers. Many countries have laws against it.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
If they strip premium down to 2 streams, I may just cancel my plan.

The prices are already dumb and this will make it worse. What the hell is wrong with just adding new and more shit for Ultimate is anyone's guess, though.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If this happens I'm out. They don't produce enough content I'm interested in to warrant that increase, and their selection of non-original movies and shows has been going to shit for years.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
In Germany they're also testing a €19.99 ($23) 'Ultra' option that exclusively includes HDR while not limiting the amount of streams on Premium:

GHfx8ce.png
Disgusting. They want to hold HDR hostage behind a 6€ extra paywall? Fuck that.

This makes me more inclined to just share an account in the future. They would lose money that way, and honestly: fuck them.
Compare that to Amazon Prime, what a joke.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Last time they let old subscribers stay on the current plan for i think a year before they were forced to pay more or downgrade.

That's rough. I mean the current device one would suck but it wouldn't matter too much to me specifically. If the HDR thing came to the US people would flip.

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
so if i want to use 2 screens in 4k they remove hdr?

seriously? i have hdr now and i only use it for me and my brother, i dont even need 4 screen, fuck off.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of raising pricing how about they stop producing some of their shittier originals and stop greenlighting everything that comes across their desk. That might actually save them some cash

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Price hikes always suck, especially when there seems to be no new benefits, but Netflix is still a good value at that price, so I can't complain too much. I split a sub with my roommate anyway.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I wonder how this will impact those of us who get Netflix free through T-Mobile (if it goes live in the US).

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that would be for new subscribers, right? They cannot change current subscriptions to remove features and add it them to more expensive tiers. Many countries have laws against it.

But the subscription is month by month. So yeah, they probably can't remove stuff in the middle of your subscription month, but they sure can tell you that for the next month you can either pay more, lose features, or unsubscribe. It would be different if you had already paid for a year upfront.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming services are slowly falling into the same spot that cable fell into years ago. It was only a matter of time. Now where is my sleezy uncle with the illegal Roku box?

Cub3h

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on the premium plan and sometimes have 3 concurrent streams, there's no chance I would pay €17 a month for Netflix. Instead of raising prices, they could stop pumping out 50 new originals each week. Who has the time to watch even a fraction of them?

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of more price increases to fund extra content for the US how about thinking about some decent content for EU as ours is miles behind the US Netflix yet costs the same

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
In Germany they're also testing a €19.99 ($23) 'Ultra' option that exclusively includes HDR while not limiting the number of streams on Premium:

GHfx8ce.png

20€?

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Hahahaha

-> Cancelled. They have completely lost their minds.

Edit: Tbh, I don't really care about being able to watch multiple streams at the same time. But locking 4K HDR behind their most expensive subscription is just too much, sorry.

Oct 30, 2017
"Hey see this Netflix plan you like? We're making it way worse but charging you the same. Want the same features you enjoyed? Better pony up for a higher tier plan now."

Fuck off netflix.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I canceled Netflix two months ago when I realized I was spending more time looking for things to watch than watching things.

I watch less TV and use Amazon prime and YouTube when I feel the need to put something on. My video game and reading time has significantly increased too.