• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://deadline.com/2019/01/netflix-unsolved-mysteries-shawn-levy-1202537462/

unsolved-mysteries-theme.jpg

The series, which was hosted by Robert Stack and ran for over 500 episodes between 1987 and 2010, is being refreshed by Stranger Things EP Shawn Levy and his company 21 Laps Entertainment and Netflix.
I hear that Levy is overseeing the revamp in association with Cosgrove-Meurer Productions, the original production company run by the show's creators John Cosgrove and Terry Dunn Meurer. The latter will show run the series with Cosgrove, Levy and Josh Barry as exec producers. Robert Wise is co-exec producer and showrunner with Dunn Meurer.

The 12-part show will use re-enactments in a documentary format to profile real-life mysteries and unsolved crimes, lost love, cases involving missing persons and unexplained paranormal events. Each episode will focus on one mystery. In the original series, actors played the victims, criminals and witnesses but family members and police were regularly interviewed.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Better have the original "freak the shit out of you" music. I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I know they'll never do it, but if I was in charge, I'd go full on late 80s/early 90s. No HD or widescreen up in this bitch, only SD and 4:3. We'd shop at Goodwill exclusively for real clothes from the that period for our actors.

To me, a lot of the charm of Unsolved Mysteries is because of the time period that it was filmed and I feel like a lot would be lost with a modern version.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They filmed an episode at my school for an episode because one of the students died suddenly due to a rare heart condition that is passed down in his family. It was surreal when the event happened and then to have them film an episode centering about it. Ever since then, I've been a fan.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Will Trump not going to jail even with all this evidence against him can count for an episode?

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they find someone as creepy as Stack was. He was perfect fit for the show.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Love it. This is exactly the kind of low investment show I can have on while.doing something else

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've been Enjoying rewatching the original on amazon. So many heartbreaking/interesting episodes.

And the music / atmosphere is so creepy it's amazing.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
That fucking music scared the shit out of me when I was a kid... I was talking about that with my boss a minute ago when I saw this thread and he sent me this link... Even if the clip is funny the music still gives me goosebumps

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Are they reviving Robert Stack as well? He made the show, that Dennis Farina run was kind of uninteresting .

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't replace Robert Stack's voicework.
I know they'll never do it, but if I was in charge, I'd go full on late 80s/early 90s. No HD or widescreen up in this bitch, only SD and 4:3. We'd shop at Goodwill exclusively for real clothes from the that period for our actors.

To me, a lot of the charm of Unsolved Mysteries is because of the time period that it was filmed and I feel like a lot would be lost with a modern version.
Agreed. I just watched the Thriller video with my kids and it crossed my mind that if Thriller came out today instead of then, there'd be the chance of CGI zombies dancing with Michael.
Are they reviving Robert Stack as well? He made the show, that Dennis Farina run was kid of uninteresting .
They ran out of Resurrection Scrolls.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite memories of this show is waking up at, like, 9 am during summer break, putting on a cup of ramen, and eating that mofo while being scared shitless watching this show. I was, like, 10 or so at the time.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the music was creepy as fuck as a kid. I'm in. Don't think they will find a better host than the original guy though. Something about his voice made me think about those cases far more than I probably should have at school lol

Oct 25, 2017
Will watch.

Also its crazy watching episodes on Amazon from the 1980's that get actual updates from within the last 2-3 years.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That show was my shit when I was a kid. I remember sleeping over at a friend's house, watching an episode about UFOs, and the two of us being freaked out for the rest of the night and seeing weird things out the window.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever their host is will never scare me as much as Robert Stack did.

"And they still haven't found their murderer who is still out there, somewhere."

Then Robert Stack house stares straight at you while saying this and I piss my pants as a child. Holy shit even the music was scary.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
There are a bunch of unsolved mysteries inspired documentaries and series out there now. Without the creepy music, 80's/90s aesthetic and atmosphere, and Robert Stack's voice and stare burning into your soul while asking you to dial 1800, I'm not really sure any Unsolved Mysteries reboot can hit the same notes.

Think people would be better off just watching the original series on Amazon.