• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) is trying to hire an executive to oversee an expansion into videogames, The Information reports.

And it's approached industry veterans in the past few weeks in the effort, according to the report.

The streaming giant had barely dipped a toe into games before, including using an outside developer to build a game based on its hit Stranger Things, the ambitions may be bigger now.

And one option includes offering a bundle of games similar to Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) Arcade subscription offering, according to the report.

seekingalpha.com

Netflix seeking an executive to lead videogame expansion - report

Netflix (NFLX) is trying to hire an executive to oversee an expansion into videogames, The Information reports

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
giRinZr.png

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Given how long games take to develop, and Netflix only wanting to air 2-3 seasons of a show, I don't really see how you put out games that are both timely and good.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would it be sustainable though?
If all you need is a Netflix account and a Bluetooth controller it could be huge.

They don't even need to have 1st party games, just have a library of 3rd party games available for streaming and it would be great, I know I would use it. They will have 1st party games though.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how long games take to develop, and Netflix only wanting to air 2-3 seasons of a show, I don't really see how you put out games that are both timely and good.
We're also used to games that have to justify a 70+ investment to 3-10+ million people. The business model for a subscription service with 200 million members would look much different.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly best deal would be for Google to spin of Stadia to Netflix and go from there. Google seems to be winding down Stadia just like half of its other projects end up doing. Developing everything inhouse from Netflix's perspective seems like an unnecessarily large cash burn.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
So Netflix wants to be the Netflix of Gaming?

The upside is that because they already have servers in a lot of regions around the world, there might be a lot less lag.

I haven't tried cloud gaming... unsure where Sony's nearest PS Now servers are located, but I'm almost positive that Netflix's servers are a lot closer.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they'll stick with an established player, maybe Amazon. Can't even imagine the hardware scale of streaming games vs video

EDiT: not sure how licensing it's IP out would drive traffic toward Netflix vs creating a way to play games on Netflix. I would imagine their goal is to get more people spending more time on the service, not give people more ways to not use the service

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
We're also used to games that have to justify a 70+ investment to 3-10+ million people. The business model for a subscription service with 200 million members would look much different.
Not really sure what you mean. Even if they're not doing AAA games, but something like the somewhat higher-end mobile stuff like Apple Arcade, you're still talking years of development time. The timing issue doesn't really change that much.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait so more that they would be a publisher for games for Netflix IP than having a gaming streaming service? I don't know if I 100% understand what Daniel is saying.
The report Daniel is linking to literally mentions a model like Apple Arcade subscription. I don't know what Daniel is going on about lol

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Well there it is.gif. Finally Netflix enters the streaming wars. With Google, Netflix and/or Apple wanting a pie of the gaming revenue pie, Sony, MS and Nintendo better secure more IP's and new content to keep them at bay or partner.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Wait so more that they would be a publisher for games for Netflix IP than having a gaming streaming service? I don't know if I 100% understand what Daniel is saying.

The report Daniel is linking to literally mentions a model like Apple Arcade subscription. I don't know what Daniel is going on about lol

For what I understood, the key part is: "expanding its IP across" other mediums. So, Netflix wouldn't be making a game streaming service but licensing and/or developing games around their own IP (such as Stranger Things, Hilda,...)

Pan-entertainment: The concept refers to multi-level products developed from intellectual property, such as games, anime, drama, films, and fiction.

Last edited:

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For what I understood, the key part is: "expanding its IP across" other mediums. So, Netflix wouldn't be making a game streaming service but licensing and developing games around their own IP (such as Stranger Things, Hilda,...)

Pan-entertainment: The concept refers to multi-level products developed from intellectual property, such as games, anime, drama, films, and fiction.
I don't know where he is getting that info though. The report specifically mentions the possibility of a gaming subscription service like Apple Arcade.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Would they publish these games based on their IPs on all platforms, or will they make their own streaming service?