• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TK Smart

Banned
Jan 20, 2022
I'll believe it when I see. Google couldn't move the needle in this space, wonder what NetFlix could possibly bring?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
is it because they're stalling on the movie/tv sub front so they *need* to innovate/grow via gaming?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Right now it's a bunch of streamed mobile games.

the goal needs to be something like Stadia, but with AAA exclusive SP content, or social games / mmos where they can leverage a massive concurrent userbase. Imagine 1v1000.

More studios get acquired by big media/tech companies.

Imagine Netflix acquires TakeTwo and the next GTA and Red Dead are streaming only via Netflix, with tie ins to the respective TV series.

Northman

May 13, 2021
Interesting.

Also noteworthy that netflix stock is down ~20% in after hours, but that's because of a lower-than-expected forecast of new subscribers this quarter.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a huge shift in the current landscape for there to be a service so good it competes with Game Pass. I can't even really fathom how that's possible. Only thing I'd really want Netflix doing is opening a development house and dumping a lot of money into fresh ideas

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Wonder if we're going to see a Google Stadia white-label partnership with Netflix. Rolling that in with Netflix alongside a big catalog of games, could be huge.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this posted in the ms' buyout thread. The first thing I thought of was how insane would it be in a world of perfect game streaming tech, to just pull up netflix on your tv and stream the newest xbox(or sony) first party game. That could be an insane way for MS to boost gamepass even more.

Highly unlikely (and in reality it would probably suck ass, at least in a lot of the USA where the internet is fuckshit at best)

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud gaming technology as impressive as it is just still feels too compromised to be a valid alternative. Has any cloud gaming service been popular yet?

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is a much more finicky market than streaming video. If your platform doesn't launch perfectly then it'll be dead in the water just like Google Stadia. I hope they're prepared.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a merger between Sony and Netflix sometime down the road isn't out of the question.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think a merger between Sony and Netflix sometime down the road isn't out of the question.

Netflix's gaming ambitions clash with Sony. Netflix doesn't want Playstation - they want their own gaming network or "metaverse". Nor does Sony want to give PSN revenue to Netflix.

They will buy a publisher.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how they would be able to compete without borrowing an incredible amount or a very direct partnership. Financially they can't make the kind of acquisitions Microsoft are, they could leverage lots of short term deals but when you consider what they're competing against (Microsoft and gamepass) I don't think that will pay off in the long-term. They'll spend a lot and still lose to their competitor.

Other publishers, like Sony I think could compete, because they could run content-lead services. If Microsoft and Game pass becomes the Netflix of games, then Sony's service could become the Disney+ wherein they leverage their long history of legacy content while pushing their service to a new audience with high quality (but fewer) titles.

I just can't really see where Netflix can fit with any of this. Without some crazy acquisition, which they can't afford. Didn't they say they're done borrowing? They'd need to borrow a lot more than they had already to get their cinema content going.

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Honestly, I don't want any new players. There's already too many games.
lol... you think Netflix is gonna create 10new studios and make 10 new IPs?

Nope...

If MS has thought anyone anything? Netflix would just go and buy shit up. Though I doubt they have that kinda money. Eventually, IPs s gonna be the bargaining chip that these companies use. Ok, you want COD on your platform? Give us GOW.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I don't see how they would be able to compete without borrowing an incredible amount or a very direct partnership. Financially they can't make the kind of acquisitions Sony are, they could leverage lots of short term deals but when you consider what they're competing against (Microsoft and gamepass) I don't think that will pay off in the long-term. They'll spend a lot and still lose to their competitor.

Other publishers, like Sony I think could compete, because they could run content-lead services. If Microsoft and Game pass becomes the Netflix of games, then Sony's service could become the Disney+ wherein they leverage their long history of legacy content while pushing their service to a new audience with high quality (but fewer) titles.

I just can't really see where Netflix can fit with any of this. Without some crazy acquisition, which they can't afford. Didn't they say they're done borrowing? They'd need to borrow a lot more than they had already to get their cinema content going.
It's not going to be easy for them, but I think the gaming market is dynamic enough that you can succeed even without making huge acquisitions.
On PC and mobile, where the market is way more open than the console space and so moves much faster, small developers can find huge success all the time and become huge over a super short amount of time. Netflix just need to back a few good bets, maybe make some very strategic partnerships and a few strategic acquisitions down the line.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I could see them acquiring CDPR honestly. The Witcher TV series, Cyberpunk anime... Slower pace games that work well with cloud.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Of course they want to diversify right now in the wake of ever increasing competition in there core market, everyone is offering a subscription service now.

But as far as gaming is concerned, I don't see how it's financially viable for them to compete with the big players without eating in to their core business. They'd have to make some pretty significant acquisitions to compete with MS/Sony content output any time soon, and they don't have that kind of cash on hand. Nor do I think they can convince investors they can compete successfully in the market, even factoring in their brand and presence. And setting up a first party development studio from scratch, well we saw how that played out for Google. Then factor in all the platform and social features required for a gaming service. A mountain to climb, good luck Netflix.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They are. This leaked last year.

www.ign.com

Netflix Datamine Could Suggest a Partnership With PlayStation - IGN

A dataminer has suggested Ghost of Tsushima content could be coming to Netflix via a potential partnership with Sony.

Imagine a streaming Spartacus service on Netflix. All you need is a controller.
They'd want to do it like stadia to be any good- Bluetooth isn't very latency friendly at the best of times , especially if you then have to factor in whatever basic setup a smart TV had for thins

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think they are just way way too behind and I'm not sure how they catch up without acquiring a ton of ip. Unless they are targeting the super casual mobile market? I guess that would make sense

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix just said they'll no longer borrow money after borrowing $16 billion in less than a decade and they are planing on buying back stock, there's no way they'll able afford a publisher since they barely have money compared to the other big companies, feels like they are 5 years too late on this one. Maybe they are partnering with another company idk.

Edit: Netflix shares are down 20%, they probably just had to say something to keep the investors "confident"

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Netflix has the money to buy publishers. They have a lot of debt just to keep the current service running. We know they're starting with offering some mobile games and they acquired Night School a while back. Whatever they do will probably be a bit different than something like Stadia or Luna

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck were going to have exclusives split up over game pass, stadia, Spartacus, Netflix, HBO max Plus, etc in a few years aren't we?

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Right now it's a bunch of streamed mobile games.

the goal needs to be something like Stadia, but with AAA exclusive SP content, or social games / mmos where they can leverage a massive concurrent userbase. Imagine 1v1000.

Imagine Netflix acquires TakeTwo and the next GTA and Red Dead are streaming only via Netflix, with tie ins to the respective TV series.
I would watch both.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
I can see they appealing to the medium market. Not 100% casual but not 100% gamers. Something in the middle. People that like to play a game or another with friends and that's it.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I would like to have a mini screen playing Sonic while watching a movie on Netflix. Please make this real.