• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Netflix Inc. shares plunged more than 10% in the extended session Wednesday after the video-streaming giant badly missed projections for new paid subscriptions.

Netflix reported the addition of just 2.7 million paid subscribers globally in the second quarter, far short of what Wall Street and the company expected. Analysts were looking for global paid streaming subscriber additions of 5.3 million, according to FactSet, on domestic additions of 350,000 and 4.8 million internationally. Netflix had projected 5 million new customers.

Netflix big price hike keeping people away? Or People waiting on Disney+?

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly who doesn't have an account yet? Moreover, how can they expect aggressive yearly growths when Netflix is so accessible?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been watching this closely. First time i think Netflix has had a domestic sub contraction. They offered sub guidance in April too not sure how they missed so badly. I cancelled my sub though after they are charging me 15.99 for a 4k HDR stream. I'll only sub for a couple months a year now, binge what I want, and quit.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder how soon before they announce another price hike to make up for this on wall street.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
They have dumb expectations. I almost don't know anyone that doesn't have it or at least shares an account.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they're at (or near) saturation point. Unless, as mentioned, they really crack down on the number of people that can access a single account. Like, who at this point is the target audience for Netflix and doesn't already have access to it?

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the content has dropped a bunch, they raise prices and are losing cable shows. There isn't much reason to get a sub if you haven't already jumped in.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole space is getting chockfull of competitors with more to come. Disney isn't even the only big player coming, Apple is also pouring billions into it.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I wonder how much bigger of a potential subscriber base they have left. For the most part you would have to assume that anyone who wants Netflix in the US likely already has it, there can't be a huge pool of untapped users left. If things slow down too much I can imagine them to start taking some steps to limit account sharing.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what will happen once they lose Disney and the NBC shows. Personally, I'll probably cancel then...or maybe just subscribe periodically to catch up on the few Netflix shows I like.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
You have to rotate subs now.

Sub to provider 1. Suck on that sweet content for a month or two, then drop it and move on to the next.

May 10, 2018
They were way off this quarter. They reiterated no ads and I think like another poster said, they may limit how many people can access a single account.

I'm really curious to see how their quarter goes after Disney+ is released.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Need more original content like Stranger Things.

Or comedy series that people watch over and over again.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The growth is expected to come from the international market, as always. The upside to losing some content is freeing up budget to make their own content.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they going to crack down on account sharing, you know that is the goto move

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's getting to the point where I pick and choose which sub I pay for that month. I can pay Netflix one month, watch a show or two, switch to Hulu the next month and watch Handmaids Tale, switch to Disney + and watch Mandalorian.

There is no need to keep Netflix all the time, there are too many great shows to watch on other services.

I think the saturation point has been passed when it comes to online streaming, and I think all of these streaming sites are going to start seeing subscribers slow, and then decrease after a short while.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017

Sub to provider 1. Suck on that sweet content for a month or two, then drop it and move on to the next.

Yup. People rotated out of Netflix this quarter to sub to hbo for game of thrones maybe? And now cancelled hbo to rotate back into Netflix for stranger things?

I think subscriber members will start to be unpredictable when all the streaming services launch as it is super easy to cancel and subscribe.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

Yup (Though I usually keep netflix since in the past it was so cheap). But HBO, CBS, Showtime, Hulu, etc are all sub for a month and move on type services. Subscribing through iTunes makes this super easy.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting pretty close to cancelling my sub. It's getting too expensive in Canada for a terrible library

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably going to stick with them since I'm invested in a few of their original shows. Though it's very likely I'll be getting a Disney+ sub as well.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Too many IP holders are rushing to invade the streaming space with their own services with their own shows on it. Netflix cannot compete as a production house pound for pound and yet it needs to be one in order to compete.

Consumers are also tired of subbing to 5 services to watch everything they want so now they sub and cancel as they go to watch a show here or there, this also eats into the Netflix model.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
If you want to survive in a highly competitive market, you have to remain highly competitive. No one is putting anything out that's worth being a persistent customer except for Amazon Prime, which is more of a unicorn right now.

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if it'll get to a point where they start to lose subscriptions because of content being removed as a result of it going to the fifty other streaming services launching near the end of this year.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I cancelled right after we were done with Stranger Things. It's $16.99 for the Ultra HD option here in Canada and aside from the shows they make with HDR we barely get any Ultra hd content overall. It's a bad value here imo.

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be interesting what the future looks like where Netflix's library gets worse and the cost goes up while they have six million competitors, especially Disney.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dropped my sub for the first time since I started paying for it. Too expensive, though I'll be back for Altered Carbon S2 and Witcher.

Not planning on subbing anything else, I'm barely watching anything.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be interesting what the future looks like where Netflix's library gets worse and the cost goes up while they have six million competitors, especially Disney.
They'll go the way of Blockbuster and the new Netflix of the future comes in to shake up the whole thing!

The consumer space will not accept six million subscription services.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This.

Sometimes it feels like the sub price increases every 5-6 months, how do you want to keep people or even attract more if you constantly raise your price?

The price has gone from $8/month to $16/month over the entirety of its existence.

I feel like consumers have a very misguided and unrealistic take on what these services should cost. I agree that the prices we were paying for cable packages were severely bloated, but at the same time - $16/month is incredible value for how often I find myself watching Netflix. I'll straight up say it, but piracy has severely undervalued the cost of media for an entire generation. The amount of stuff we expect for a cheap monthly price is interesting to say the least.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Going to get worse when they start losing programs entirely due to other services opening up. The bubble continuing to grow was always going to hurt them at least close to as bad as the actual bursting of the bubble will