• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But it does? Netflix stock was/is just priced for a certain amount of growth. If that growth doesn't manifest, the stock price goes lower as expectations are changed

can't revise absurd expectations unless you had absurd expectations in the first place

May 10, 2018
What I meant was how many active streams they would give me at once. 4k comes with 4 active streams. I am saying I will pay less and they could offer 1 active stream. I know this will not stop me from sharing, but it will dramatically slow it down as it would be annoying not being able to watch a show because someone else is watching during the evening.

Of course, they group the multiple streams and 4k together as another reason to charge 16 bucks a month.
Agreed. Like you I definitely don't need the extra streams. I do wonder if Netflix will change the different tier structure anytime soon. As far as I know Disney+ won't charge extra for 4K/HDR and at $7, that looks pretty great compared to Netflix.

Dec 25, 2018
Netflix constantly loses good films, it's not even funny. Only reason I have it is because mine is free through tmobile.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I love Netflix, my husband and I watch so much stuff on it, together as a couple and each separately. Even with the price raise, I find it to be very cheap for the amount of content it has.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix isn't even expensive, the fact that people think it is really speaks to how subscription services and piracy have devalued media. $60 video games are next

It kind of is though if you don't spend a ton of time watching the content on there. I would never pay the $14/month or whatever the price is now for Netflix, glad I have a friends account to use periodically. I think rewatching Evangelion is the first time I've used it since The Dirt came out. I'd still say Netflix is a good value, but I don't really care enough about most of the content on there for it to have a great value proposal. I use my (ad-free) Hulu and HBO GO accounts a lot more.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix isn't even expensive, the fact that people think it is really speaks to how subscription services and piracy have devalued media. $60 video games are next

Yeah, and look at music. It wasn't even expensive to begin with to pay $10 for an album. Now you pay $10 a month and have all the albums.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
Netflix needs an option to rent or buy movies that are not included in the subscription, that way when they lose movies/shows, people can still use the platform to get said movies/shows. But Disney's catalog is so vast and it costing like $7 a month is going to be a real blow. I am not saying a dagger but it could be pretty close since Netflix has never actually made profit to begin with.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I signed up the other day to watch stranger things and stuff i missed. will drop it again after a month

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how that's a problem. HBO releases shows 1 week at a time and I just wait until all episodes are released before I subscribe. I subscribe to HBO 2 months out of the year and get to see all of their shows.
This is because you treat it as a solo experience. For a lot of modern consumers, watching Game of Thrones was a communal affair. It wasn't just about watching it, but watching it with your friends and talking about it with them after a new episode.

Netflix's binge model sacrifices the communal experience which encourages people to be subbed for months at a time.

Netflix can spend millions on a new show and they will still get one month's subscription out of it per viewer. A new HBO show gets multiple months worth of subscriptions per viewer

Oct 27, 2017
As per usual, hyperbole and overreaction rues the day.

Netflix isn't in trouble. It isn't going to go extinct. And those pointing to Disney + as a competitor that will bring about the death knell amuse me greatly. This is a service that isn't out yet but is obviously going to be somewhat popular. At the same time, nothing I've seen from its ideas for original programming (the Marvel spinoff series and re-imagining of classic properties are not impressive) makes me think that it will be anyone's overriding motivation to sign up for it over the collection of its already impressive catalogue however.

You don't have to like them but Netflix's original programming consists of the following highly rated and critically acclaimed shows; Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Sex Education, Mindhunter, Haunting Of, Ozark and a decent handful of others. They have made a concerted effort to elevate their original programming and while there are going to be misfires and stumbles, it's the way to go in order to stay viable as a streaming service going forward with the rights for popular IP's being scattered about over half a dozen (or more) competitors. I don't think any other service compares in this regard with the possible exception of Amazon.

So Netflix is fine. Why people are so desperate for it to fail is the question we should be asking.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Not surprising. It's becoming too expensive, and there are other option coming out.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I've been watching this closely. First time i think Netflix has had a domestic sub contraction. They offered sub guidance in April too not sure how they missed so badly. I cancelled my sub though after they are charging me 15.99 for a 4k HDR stream. I'll only sub for a couple months a year now, binge what I want, and quit.

But how do you stream Star Trek? Prime is horrible for streaming.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They can limit how many people can share an account. I know people who share an account across multiple households .

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Everyone says that Disney + will 'kill' Netflix despite the fact the audiences both platforms are chasing are different and Disney + will (at least for the first 12 months) have just an hour or two of original content a week given that they are unlikely to follow the binge model for titles like Mandolorian and their slate is still coming together.

As per usual, hyperbole and overreaction rues the day.

Netflix isn't in trouble. It isn't going to go extinct. And those pointing to Disney + as a competitor that will bring about the death knell amuse me greatly. This is a service that isn't out yet but is obviously going to be somewhat popular. At the same time, nothing I've seen from its ideas for original programming (the Marvel spinoff series and re-imagining of classic properties are not impressive) makes me think that it will be anyone's overriding motivation to sign up for it over the collection of its already impressive catalogue however.

You don't have to like them but Netflix's original programming consists of the following highly rated and critically acclaimed shows; Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Sex Education, Mindhunter, Haunting Of, Ozark and a decent handful of others. They have made a concerted effort to elevate their original programming and while there are going to be misfires and stumbles, it's the way to go in order to stay viable as a streaming service going forward. I don't think any other service compares in this regard with the possible exception of Amazon.

So Netflix is fine. Why people are so desperate for it to fail is the question we should be asking.

Netflix won't 'fail' at this point but the question over the next five years will be is Netflix going to be the next Google or the next Yahoo of SVOD platforms.