• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netflix style or buy-each-game style?

• NESFlix all the way

• I'd rather buy only the ones I want

Results are only viewable after voting.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As the title says, what would you rather have?
Currently the apparent plan for Nintendo Switch Online is a Netflix style Virtual Console, which means thay paying $20 gives you access to the library.
Would you rather have this or being able to buy each game you want separately?

EDIT: Assume we would only get one style, not both.
Also, the info comes from their own page: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
Subscribers will get to download a compilation of classic titles with added online play, such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight and Dr. Mario.

MaDKaT

Oct 27, 2017
Are games going to cycle in and out of the rotation like movies/shows do on Netfix(and others)? If so, Id rather continuing to purchase the games I want to play.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subscriptions are a nice option but I increasingly find they add up and I dont have the time or desire to get much use from a lot of them.

Id rather just buy the games I want and be able to play them whenever rather than go stretches of 3, 4 months without playing anything and still paying.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Netflix-style is the right move, obvs.

EDIT: not with streaming, but I thought that went without saying. Maybe "Gamepass-style" is a better term now.

Last edited:

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Netflix style because old roms would need to be like a dollar at most for me to consider paying.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's actually a hard choice for me and that has a lot to do with Nintendo's style of making me re-buy everything digitally. I would lean towards Netflix style with them to avoid that issue. Microsoft seems to be leaning towards both the Netflix style and the ability to buy and keep your own software beyond the current gen.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I rather have netflix.

I bet it would probably be mixed, like:

Netflix:
NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, Neo Geo, NGPC, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, Game Gear, Turbografix, PC Engine, Simple arcade games like DK Jr to CPS1
Buy-each-one:
Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Jaguar, 3DO, CPS2~3

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Isn't that what Sony does with PSNOW? Hows is that working out for them? (I don't mean that sarcastically I legitimately do not know)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning subscription service (if executed properly).

"If executed properly" being the key phrase there. If the selection sucks, or you have to stream the games instead of download them, or games rotate out of the lineup frequently, or it costs extra on top of the normal Nintendo online fees, or the subscription service has a short lifespan, I'd MUCH rather have individual downloads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MesaEterna

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I would also like to add, maybe a bit off topic, that whichever choice happens, Nintendo needs to either add folders or make all retro games be in a single hub. I hate that everything takes a space in the menu

Zakari2112

Jan 11, 2018
I would be okay with either one. At this point I just want virtual console on Switch. I think the Netflix style would be interesting if done correctly. I would also be completely okay with paying for each game that I want.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
both but if I had to pick buy and own for sure

having to pay indefinitely to access your library is fucked imo, don't like that model at all

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix style for sure, virtual console has been way too expensive for what you are getting in the past and Nintendo has piss poor ownership management to begin with.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Nintendo has some means of providing previously purchased VC rom's for free that were bought on prior systems, I think they will go for the Netflix approach, at least for their own library.

I feel like that is the only way Nintendo will not lose good will from basically reselling the same rom's they've sold countless times before, and it seems like an easy way to sell a "premium" tier of their online service.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Isn't that what Sony does with PSNOW? Hows is that working out for them? (I don't mean that sarcastically I legitimately do not know)

PSNOW is streaming.
Only works if you have a good connection, isn't hd in most places and it is unplayable in south america for example.

Netflix in the sense "download what you want but you loose when you stop paying". Is it how Xbox Gamepass does it, isn't ?

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in streaming games. I would completely skip Netflix-style VC.

I mean, does the OP mean Netflix style in terms of streaming? I took it as that you would have access to the content as long as you were subscribed.

There is no reason to need to stream these games when the download sizes are likely so small.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
If it were a subscription service it would still need to allow downloading the games. Streaming them would be a mess. Also, I need to be able to play in offline mode.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Since Netflix gets rid of shows over time. I'd rather just buy the games I want instead of worrying that the game might be removed from the service.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this scenario OP! I voted for the "Netflix-style". I feel that would give me a greater chance to try out certain "Classic" games that I otherwise wouldn't buy individually.

Realistically though, I'd love to have both options as there are certain games I'd want to "own".

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
As the title says, what would you rather have?
Currently the apparent plan for Nintendo Switch Online is a Netflix style Virtual Console, which means thay paying $20 gives you access to the library.
Would you rather have this or being able to buy each game you want separately?

EDIT: Assume we would only get one style, not both.
Also, the info comes from their own page: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

Yes they say that those 3 games will be available at launch but i don't think this will ended up being a big library like Netflix or Game Pass.

I think the goal with the classic game collection is more to create a community around these old games with added competitively online features and not just leaderboards.

Either way i'm okay with that as long as it stays 20 euro/dollars for a year.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I like ownership rather then my games being tied to something I have to continually pay to access. I don't care for the PS Plus "free" games system for the same reason.

Ideally you provide both options though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo purposefully prevents classic games to get in the virtual console. I can't agree to a Netflix style system of a company that curates games like dog shit, offers terrible emulators, and just straight up download roms on the internet to charge them off the back of the people who made these roms readable in the first place. They can't even be arsed to offer the master rom or dump them themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, does the OP mean Netflix style in terms of streaming? I took it as that you would have access to the content as long as you were subscribed.

There is no reason to need to stream these games when the download sizes are likely so small.

I thought s/he was talking about Netflix/PSNow-style streaming service.

If not, I would still rather just by what I want, but I am ultimately ambivalent about it.

Jan 31, 2018
NESflix for sure.

That way I don't feel cheated when Nintendo once again doesn't carry over purchases of Virtual Console when Switch 2 comes around

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, when I start doing the math, probably buying the games I'd want piecemeal would be cheaper for me then subscribing to some 9.99/month type plan. The price would probably have to be in the 30-40/year range for me to break even, because I might touch 15-20 games over the course of the Switch's lifespan, tbh. So piecemeal is probably better for me.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In a perfect gaming world both options should exist.

Me personally I'd prefer Netflix-style for retro games.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
$240 a year for VC Netflix seems a bit much. I'd personally still want the option to buy games individually, as there's a certain handful that I'd actually want to go back and play from time-to-time. I mean, as much as I love the NES and SNES classic there's still only a fraction of those games I'm actually going to go back and play. Fuck Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already paid for these fucking games once/twice/three fucking times so let me fucking use them instead of trying to sell me a fucking subscription for the privilege of playing games I already own several different ways on Nintendo formats. I could not give less of a shit about online play in NES games.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Economically I can't justify Netflix style. Let's say it's $10 a month, conservatively, and I'm subscribed for the next 4+ years. That's already getting up in the $500 range.

Assuming it's NES/SNES/N64 games, ranging from $5 to $10 a piece... that's 60-70 games, that I can own permanently, for $500. How many of these old games do I honestly want to play? How many are just 5 minute novelties?

And when you factor in the fact I already own most of the games I want on the Wii or Wii U or 3DS... nah. Purchase or nothing.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
There's so many factors.

If it's classic VC where games don't transfer to the next console, then I have no interest in the buy to own model. I'm done buying Super Mario Bros for the 10th time. But if they can guarantee you own that license throughout the Nintendo ecosystem and indefinitely in the future, then I'd prefer the buy to own model.

If it's Netflix style, and it's included with the Nintendo online subscription, and it's a large AND GROWING library of all the consoles where games don't get cycled in and out, and I can play them without an internet connection, then I would be down for Netflix. However, that's a lot of factors and Nintendo doesn't have the best track record with online services (still can't play Mario Run without an internet connection).

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
TC, the plan Nintendo is talking about is not a Virtual Console service at all. It"s something different, that's why they haven't really mentioned the VC in regards to Switch.

Deleted member 5015

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will always prefer buying and owning things. Unfortunately, this no longer fashionable, so at the end, I don't care. Just let me play my games and charge me for whatever you want.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Although obviously I'd be happy to have access to Nintendo's vast library on one device in any capacity, be it subscription- or purchase-based, I'd greatly prefer one-time purchases. Because...

both but if I had to pick buy and own for sure

having to pay indefinitely to access your library is fucked imo, don't like that model at all

...of this. There's a finite amount of old titles I'd buy, and a subscription service is inevitably going to surpass the amount of investment I'd put into individual games. VC games are generally cheaper, and I'm not going to be purchasing and playing them all at once, so costs aren't exactly prohibitive.

If it's Nintendo's true goal to extend the Switch's lifespan 8+ years, then a subscription service might make the most business sense, unfortunately. Then again, perhaps not, if it's fundamentally tied to their basic annual online fee, rather than an additional charge, as I imagine most people interested in VC would be double-dipping on online even while buying individual VC titles.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I already paid for these fucking games once/twice/three fucking times so let me fucking use them instead of trying to sell me a fucking subscription for the privilege of playing games I already own several different ways on Nintendo formats. I could not give less of a shit about online play in NES games.
Yep. This is the model I want. I've bought Link to the Past multiple times. LET ME PLAY THE GAMES I PAID YOU FOR ALREADY

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Both, give people the option.

Pay monthly VC subscription to play all VC games for as long as your subscription lasts.

Non subscribers (or even subscribers) can still purchase games if they wish to keep them forever.

Nintendo online subscribers get VC games included in their subscription but from a lesser library than the above subscription. E.g switch online only includes NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, GBC.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the pricing.

Most likely I'd prefer being able to purchase games individually. I rarely want to play several VC games in any given month, but then again, some VC games are pretty pricey for what they are.