• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
...Netflix also revealed that The Witcher was coming in the last three months of the year.

On its investor call, Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandso revealed that the fantasy drama, which stars Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia and is currently in production in Hungary, would launch in Q4. The series, which follows a solitary monster hunter struggling to find his place in a world, is written, exec produced and showrun by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich.

Source

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please for the love of God be good

I NEED THIS to be good

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot earlier than I expected. Finally I can experience the rich lore and visuals of The Witcher's world without the clunky gameplay of the games :P

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The series is following the bookers closer then the games right? Why is this on the Gaming side! :p

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Much earlier than I expected. I really, really, want this to be good.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Curious when we might get a first trailer for it. Would be a nice capstone to the year if it's good though

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
books have always been there.

Which is why I said visuals. But I kid. I'm interested in the show. I really enjoy the world building of the 3 games, but I've found the games to be not my cup of tea. I'm happy if someone visually recreates all that without the downsides of the games. It's a fascinating world.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does.. Has me truly questioning the production value for the series. Hopefully they do the series justice but I am not going to hold my breath.
I mean... in the books there is little fighting and lots and lots of talks so I don't expect a huge VFX budget serie

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
This is going to be terrible, I can feel it.

MilkyBriefEyas-max-1mb.gif

More seriously, I have some concerns about Cavil's look. I hope they will find the right balance so as not to make Geralt too ridiculous on the screen.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I'm wondering if it will have the production value and scale of Game of Thrones, or if it's much smaller in scope.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I'm wondering if it will have the production value and scale of Game of Thrones, or if it's much smaller in scope.

One thing that makes GoT expensive is the fact that follow simultaneously a dozen different characters across 5-6 different locations (The Wall, Winterfell, King's Landing, Iron Islands, Dorne, Braavos, even more locations across the sea). If here instead it just follows Geralt and whatever other secondary characters that are with him, the scope can be much more small.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
People are going to be disappointed by this solely based on the fact that book Geralt and book Witcher is very different than game Geralt and game Witcher.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The Witcher in general is much smaller in scope. ASOIAF/Game of Thrones has a huge cast of characters with many different locations.

The Witcher just has Geralt, Yennefer and, later in the series, Ciri, but that's basically it. Game of Thrones (at least, nowadays) is also far more focused on big CGI monsters and battles, while The Witcher books are mostly focused on human drama with very few monster encounters and battles. In the entire book series there are maybe two or three big battles.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Cavill's Geralt ends up looking the way he did in that one promo shot, I don't think I'll be able to take the show seriously :p.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Really, how come? I mean they've likely been filming since last year and will probably have filmed the FX heavy scenes first. They've got maybe a good 8 months of post to work on 8 episodes. Shouldn't be too difficult for them.

I feel like it was just yesterday Cavil put it out there he wanted the role and now they're aiming to have it air by the 4th quarter, seems kind of quick.

I just want it to be good, love the series and I hope it's on par with some of the more recent projects Netflix has greenlit like Umbrella academy.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The Witcher in general is much smaller in scope. ASOIAF/Game of Thrones has a huge cast of characters with many different locations.

The Witcher just has Geralt, Yennefer and, later in the series, Ciri, but that's basically it. Game of Thrones (at least, nowadays) is also far more focused on big CGI monsters and battles, while The Witcher books are mostly focused on human drama with very few monster encounters and battles. In the entire book series there are maybe two or three big battles.

Well, there is a not too small cast of characters that are both in the short stories and in the novels (obviously Geralt, Dandelion, Yennefer, later Ciri, Vilgefortz, even more later you have Geralt's hanza, the Rats, most of the main sorceresses, kings, queens, etc.) and then every short story has their own dozens of different characters and so on.. it maybe doesn't have so many main characters like the ASoIaF saga, but there are still many, many charaters in the Witcher stories

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not hyped, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Cavil as Geralt is not what I expected.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People are going to be disappointed by this solely based on the fact that book Geralt and book Witcher is very different than game Geralt and game Witcher.
people are going to be disappointed when their interpretation of book geralt is different from netfix show Geralt tool

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So incredibly excited for this, and it's coming out much sooner than I had started to anticipate.

I need to read through The Last Wish and maybe the second book of short stories too before this comes out.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After Castlevania i trust in Netflix's videogame adaptations.