• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a problem with semantics here, or at least to many people not deeply invested in these issues it feels like semantics. To those who deal with this stuff every day it seems like there's a huge swathes of insulting ignoramuses out there who are being wilfully cruel but for many they simply do not know, they have not been educated and have not been exposed to these issues at any great length.

For instance if you asked the average bystander what bisexuality meant they would say someone who was into men and women. Going by the explainer in the OP this is insulting by using gender in the description. Most people out there would not understand why that would be insulting.

I find threads like this feel like they're flying off the handle to an average bystander like myself. I didn't see anything wrong with the clip until it got explained to me. The average viewer would think it was very progressive and enlightening but apparently it's offensive to some. The average member of the public does not understand this stuff. It's way outside their circle of understanding. It's good to educate but I feel like we should try not to tell people they're horrible for not seeing how it is offensive.

There's not been much in the way of telling people they're horrible for not seeing how it's offensive. When people ask to learn, they almost invariably get a legitimate response because we want people to understand. What is horrible are the swaths of people coming in here and getting pissy at us for being upset by the clip. None of those posts feel like people want to learn, they feel like they want to shame people upset for feeling upset.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
P.S. I almost went out of my mind when they made the Doing the Thing Game reference the Cliffhangers game from The Price Is Right. Yo dee ooly yo de ooly yoly dooly yo, what a metaphor.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yeah I mean you don't have to look past the first couple pages to see why some bisexual people came into this thread hot. Myself included. Not every post is offensive but there are some really offensive posts there

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Big Mouth's Explanation of Bisexuality Is Wrong, Dated, and Biphobic - The Mary Sue

I feel like this conversation about what bisexuality is vs pansexuality keeps coming up and people use either anti-trans bisexuals or dated language to explain how all bisexuals see themselves today. I have spoken about how when I was coming into my queerness, pansexual was not a term I saw being used in the mainstream (although it absolutely did exist), so to explain my attraction to different genders, I called myself bisexual. As I became more aware of trans identity and non-binary identity, I saw bisexuality to include attraction to those groups of people as well. After all, trans men and trans women are still men and women, and non-binary people reject the spectrum but they don't just stop being people.

To me, pansexuality broadened the spectrum and that's a good thing. But I still call myself bisexual. I know trans people and NB people who call themselves bisexual. There is plenty of noted fluidity between the terms and it has been discussed consistently for ages. This is not a new conversation.

Jay's coming out and the biphobia he faces is important to touch on because that does exist. But addressing the erasure and stigma affecting bisexual men does nothing to counter the binary part brought up earlier. Especially since the entire episode deals with how bisexuality is invalidated by society.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldnt I, if I like woman, include trans women as just women? Say, in a normal chat I say I like women, that should mean all women, trans women included no?
If a bi says they like women and men, that shoud also include trans men and trans woman, otherwise thats kind of transphobic to me.

Yes

Now, I am not trying to argue, just trying to understand, because the clip seemed ok to me, but the thread really says otherwise.

The character in the clip literally makes the claim that bisexual people are only attracted to cis men and women, and then smugly makes the claim that pansexual people are attracted to cis men/trans men & cis women/trans women, as if there's something inherent to being pansexual that makes them "more accepting."

It's obnoxious and offensive but it's also dumb as hell logic

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Yes

The character in the clip literally makes the claim that bisexual people are only attracted to cis men and women, and then smugly makes the claim that pansexual people are attracted to cis men/trans men & cis women/trans women, as if there's something inherent to being pansexual that makes them "more accepting."

It's obnoxious and offensive but it's also dumb as hell logic

Ah ok, I understand now. Yeap, that make sense. Thank you!

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Transphobia, Prior Severe Ban for Dismissing Concerns on Bigotry
Reading this thread, guess I'm transphobic if I'm only attracted to biological women?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread, guess I'm transphobic if I'm only attracted to biological women?

Phrase it this way.

"I would never date a trans woman."

That is transphobic. In the same way that if you replaced trans with a race it would be racist.

Having preferences is fine, but to flat out say you wouldn't date an entire group of people isnt. Each person in that group is unique and you'd be singling them out because they're a part of that group and nothing else.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Phrase it this way.

"I would never date a trans woman."

That is transphobic. In the same way that if you replaced trans with a race it would be racist.

Having preferences is fine, but to flat out say you wouldn't date an entire group of people isnt. Each person in that group is unique and you'd be singling them out because they're a part of that group and nothing else.

Fair enough, guess I should never say never! Thanks for the reasonable response unlike this tool below.

This is some Ben Shapiro bullshit right here

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, guess I should never say never! Thanks for the reasonable response unlike this tool below.

I don't blame people when it's been a whole ass thread of similar comments being far more insidious. And other similar explanations. People are tired.

Also differentiating between cis and trans as biological and trans is a bad look. Thanks to Apollo and Avalard for pointing this out.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

6aa.jpg

I have never heard another human talk about "biological women" other than him, blame my lack of culture

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Man I would have seen this clip and would have not seen anything wrong. I have misinformed myself and I apologize for that. I learned something today