• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Being bisexual myself, this clip was absolutely sickening to watch. No, bisexuals are not solely attracted to males/females, and pansexuals are not the only ones who can be attracted to trans people.

Really sad that some of the only pan representation in media has to be so awful.

EDIT: Because it has been asked for, here's a greater explanation of the issue with this clip.

With the food metaphor she brings up "some of you like tacos or burritos, and bisexuals like tacos and burritos, and I [being pan] like both and everything in-between", implying that those who are bisexual are unable to like "everything in-between", aka those who are non-binary, trans, etc.

Despite having the "bi" prefix, those who are bi can still like those who do not strictly conform to the two genders. Alavard explains the true distinction between being bi and pan better than I ever could.

This has been explained many times in this thread already. Pan people often describe their attraction as being regardless or blind of gender at all. Gender is not a consideration.

I am attracted to far more women than men, for example, and im attracted to them in different ways. So I identify as bi, not pan.

Having said that I'm not pan, so I can't speak for one who is on how they see their attractions

My initial claims probably were a bit over-reactionary. I think this came out of a place of ignorance rather than malice. However, for a show that wants to handle those who are LGBTQ+, I don't it's unreasonable to hold them to a high standard regarding common misconceptions. Especially in this case, I have personally been affected by this misconception before, so it hit particularly close to home for me.

EGNFrDtXkAAlthV.jpg:large

EDIT 2: Exec. producer of the show apologizes for the clip.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I have found the show to actually be incredibly sex-positive as it relates to all forms of sexuality. If it doesn't get it 100% right it's not for lack of effort, it's probably one of the most pro-sexuality shows out there. If it stumbles a bit that's unfortunate (not for me to say if it does), but if we call the show anything-phobic, we're letting perfect be the enemy of good.

EDIT - I'm not done the third season yet, but one of the major themes so far has actually been how bisexuality is addressed differently for men and women, etc. I think it's trying to educate people in a positive way. Again, maybe it's not succeeding, but I don't think the intention at least is in a bad place.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never forgive Netflix for renewing this shit for three more seasons while cutting Bojack short

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Is getting a bit (unintentionally I think) fast and loose with the definitions automatically phobic?

My gut reaction was that they were trying to be positive, even if they are arguably not 100 percent accurate?

Fear/hate did not seem to be present at all.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is actually a pretty common idea that bisexual is transphobic .... probably because of transphobic bisexuals =P
Some people are just confused because THERE HAS TO BE a difference between bisexual and pansexual

...except for whose that thinks that pansexual somehow includes non human things

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trust me, trans,bi and gender/sex-ambiguous identities are still like a sheer cliff most the time for a lot of people still. Whatever 'wacky and rude' shit that was happening in that clip was painfully pedestrian.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say give it a watch rather than going from a little clip, a big part of the show is people trying to figure out their sexuality and it has a far more diverse view than anything else that I can think of at the moment that also has a lot of different "takes", they also change from episode to episode and isn't trying to be a perfect definition of everything but rather an exploration whilst done in a humours manner.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if somehow there's context that makes up for this scene (which I really doubt), Netflix put it up on its own devoid of context to advertise it.

Last edited:

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the offence here is that 'Burritos transitioning into Tacos' ARE Tacos and so shouldn't be referenced as something 'in-between'.

EDIT: I'm no expert though.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
OP, as you can tell by the responses in this thread, you are completely misreading what this show is about.

I'll never forgive Netflix for renewing this shit for three more seasons while cutting Bojack short

Both shows are great, but Bojack has gotten six seasons and a chance for closure. What other platform would it have gotten the chance to do that?

Oct 27, 2017
Even if somehow there's context that makes up for this scene (which I really doubt), Netflix put it up on its own devoid of context to advertise it.

The show might be the most sex-positive mainstream show out there. The entire plot is about a group of kids figuring out their sexuality (in a variety of ways/attractions). As others have said, it might make ommissions or mistakes, but it's not because of malice. And as others have also said, there are also competing views of what comprises bisexuality/pansexuality, etc. No take is ever going to be accepted by 100% of people.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
how was that biphobic or transphobic? the intellectual character breaks down her sexuality for curious (and ignorant) characters and comes off looking great

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the phobia. Misinformed? Maybe. Don't think the bit was punching down at all

I watched the entire season this weekend and this episode didn't give me any insulting vibes at all. Could be quite misinformed indeed, but I didn't find anything sinister about it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
NetflixIsAJoke tweeted*

As others said, Big Mouth is very open-minded, I don't think they'd knock an orientation or kink unless it's taken out of context.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the show stumbles at times with certain issues, but it's clear as day that they are making a geniuine effort to be inclusive and open to the spectrum of sexuality. OP I would recommend watching the show if you haven't and not make and hasty judgements.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
This show is fucking excellent, and I thought that clip was fine. Show is so much more enjoyable than Bojack, which is a fine show in its own right.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone in this thread:

zkErMhnl.png

Myself included.

If someone showed me this clip and told me, "so, what was the negative reaction to this?", I would've assumed that alt-righters got mad about her being pansexual.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I've been making my way through Season 3, and I've liked how they've done some of the bisexual stuff. Sure it's the kid who fucks pillows, but him coming to terms with his sexuality seems to be slowly coming along. It's not perfect, but it's nice to see a bisexual male who isn't just "cheating" with another gender that so many TV shows like to do.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
how was that biphobic or transphobic? the intellectual character breaks down her sexuality for curious (and ignorant) characters and comes off looking great

The pansexual character breaks down her sexuality, and then explains bisexuality incorrectly though ignorance. That's not positive.

Maybe a later scene explains it positively and corrects her. But she's wrong in that scene.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show might be the most sex-positive mainstream show out there. The entire plot is about a group of kids figuring out their sexuality (in a variety of ways/attractions). As others have said, it might make ommissions or mistakes, but it's not because of malice. And as others have also said, there are also competing views of what comprises bisexuality/pansexuality, etc. No take is ever going to be accepted by 100% of people.
It's not that it has a "bad take", it's that it's pushing misconceptions about bi and trans people.

For the people who don't see what's wrong with this clip: Aside from the character saying that being bi is transphobic, it's just wrong about what being bi is. Being bisexual means being attracted to two or more genders, not just cis men and women. Besides that: it's saying that if you're trans, you can't be a man or woman. As if "transgender" is a different gender altogether.

And none of these are "opinions", at best they're misconceptions.

Last edited:

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Great job OP attack one of the most sex positive shows out there for a slight so small you need an electron microscope to see it.