• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For me Friends is that show that you have zero interest in and cant understand the appeal but is wildly popular. It will forever be beyond my comprehension.

You can not like something for sure, but if you genuinely can't understand the appeal of six attractive leads living together in a light hearted broad humoured sitcom I don't know what to tell you.

I don't find many popular U.S sitcoms personally funny (I do like Friends) but I 'get' their appeal

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Phoebe, I've come to really dislike most of Friends. I wish Netflix used this money to acquire rights to, like, 10 different, new (to Netflix) shows instead of a single show that was already on what feels like its 47th rerun cycle in Finland even before it was ever added to Netflix.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Waste of money on an old show, plus it's on DVD. Wish they had used this for more original content.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
People bitch about a lame ass show and Netflix ends up paying $100 million to keep those bitchy people happy, that boring ass show is rerun every where.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It's great that fans can keep enjoying it on Netflix but is such an old show really a deal breaker these days? Who would cancel or renew their Netflix sub based on whether Friends is available or not?
I'd rather see that money spent on new content.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That's an astronomical figure for an old show, but a lot of people still watch it.

I can't ridicule, I watched the whole show with my wife last year. She likes it, and I enjoyed it for the dumb fun that it is.

And yeah, the show is pretty big outside the US.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Holy batman. I just read they were getting 20 million a year back in 2015?!!! Why even work anymore

I guess that's why LeBlanc thought Top Gear was too much work, they can all just do things for fun.

I wonder how much the Star Trek shows gets for the reruns. It wouldn't surprise me if Friends got more views than any Netflix originals though, it's more broad casual background viewing than anything.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the creators and cast are still getting mad cash for this. It's insanely impressive how it still resonates with people after so many years.

I guess no one told them life was, gonna be this way.

Clapclapclap

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
It's been on constant re-runs here in Australia since Gem Channel launched back in 2010, before that still was on other channels.

Show somehow still pulls people..

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like friends, but I'm shocked that they are worth it 100 million dollars in 2019.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Waste of money, wow. Unless that many people are subscribing to Netflix for friends???
Less about subscribing and more about supplemental shows that people watch weekly. I know folks that watch these old shows once a week, if not once a day. They may not have subscribed for it, but when the selection sucks, they stay for Friends and One Tree Hill and The Office and all that garb-age.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
For me Friends is that show that you have zero interest in and cant understand the appeal but is wildly popular. It will forever be beyond my comprehension.
This show and the office are those for me. I've tried watching both (the former at the time it was airing, and the office just recently).

Either way, 100 million for a 20 year old show seems crazy to me, especially since that is enough to fund multiple 10 episode shows/seasons of something else.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I had no idea Friends was still so popular. How basic do you need to be to watch 20-25 year old sitcoms when you have the entire netflix/youtube library of entertainment available.

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
I rewatched the whole 10 seasons (Missing a few episodes here and there, and taking a good time to do it) on Netflix a few months ago. It was a sort of test to see how well it would hold up for myself, as I remember watching it all about 10-12 years ago and liking it. However, this time it didn't work out that well for me. Yes, there were a few episodes here and there that were still decent, fairly funny and entertaining... But often it felt old and decrepit.

It is obviously a product of the early-mid 90s, which sometimes can be seen clearly in the attitudes of the characters. For example, the not-so-subtle homophobic opinions of Ross. The thing is that it somehow moved into the mid 00's without changing much at all... Maybe in the 90s it felt fairly revolutionary to have an openly lesbian (secondary) character in a (very white and very safe) sitcom... But as the series advanced and we got into the 2000s, the characters attitudes didn't change that much even if society outside the TV show was moving towards more open positions regarding homosexuality. But that's usual in long running sitcoms, where characters become two dimensional parodies of their early selves. Is Joey funny because he's sort of simple, and a food and sex addicted person? Let's keep him that way and never make him change.

By the way, Ross was the character that ended up being the worst for me in this run. He felt like a very self centered person, borderline narcissistic... What's the big deal if people are having sex in front of your book in a library? Oh, it is definitely a big deal for Ross "I'm a palaeontologist" Geller. Rachel is also pretty self centered too, but she comes from a very privileged background and ends up doing something for herself in the end. In my opinion, the characters that came out the best at the end were Joey and Phoebe. Yeah, they were fairly dysfunctional examples of human beings, but they felt like the most honest of the bunch.

You know what else I found interesting about 'Friends' that reinforced the idea of it being a very 'safe' sitcom? As the show progressed and we reached the final season, all of the characters sort of end up being 'where they should be' and getting 'what they should get' according to some widely accepted societal expectactions... Ross and Rachel are together with a child (Ben, the boy raised by two lesbians, sort of disappeared from the scene), Phoebe marries some guy, Chandler and Monica are together and adopt two babies... Joey, well, he's like the sixth wheel and I guess was left free to do that other sitcom. They all expect to get big weddings, baby showers, hen dos... They all just settle down in a sort of middle class, middle age, average (white) American life. Not one of them decides to live in a way that is actually different, out of the usual, somewhat transgressive... And, no, having a wedding on the street because it's snowing a lot is not that crazy. I'm sure Phoebe was just a somewhat eccentric soccer mum a few years later.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hulu has the better show anyway.

Y2JiOGUxZjMwNyMvUE1KX04wY1ZZS3VjVkFPYVNjVXQ3Z1NENEpRPS8weDQxOjIwMDB4MTE2Ni84MDB4NDUwL2ZpbHRlcnM6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3EzMjljaHNjdnh6aDlscmJpNGI1ejFuejFqaGt3cWUwaWR5NW4wdnk5bzQzZnhldXd5N2g4NGphdXJtcXFocHkuanBn.jpg

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally love friends but 100 mil for a year? ... Seriuosly where else can they shop it .

Oct 30, 2017
Started watching this again - I forgot how cringe it was at times

I desperately want them to get the rights to Boston Legal sometime
That must be cheap enough surely as I hardly ever see reruns of it

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overseas market

Millions of people use it to learn conversational English.
huh im not sure it was that . I mean I never used it to learn english but friends was much more relatable to me as an international that say other shows that time like seinfeld, home improvement , frasier etc ever was. It just felt for me growing up like normal ppl just in america.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was worth it alone for bringing out the people who thought Friends wasn't popular leaving them in confusion.

One of the Greats.

yes yes... Seinfeld is better... I can't believe it myself. And I watched Seinfeld only a few years ago for the first time.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
That's maybe 2 dollars for every individual that will watch this series virtually every day for the next year. Not the worst deal I've ever heard.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I rewatched the whole 10 seasons (Missing a few episodes here and there, and taking a good time to do it) on Netflix a few months ago. It was a sort of test to see how well it would hold up for myself, as I remember watching it all about 10-12 years ago and liking it. However, this time it didn't work out that well for me. Yes, there were a few episodes here and there that were still decent, fairly funny and entertaining... But often it felt old and decrepit.

It is obviously a product of the early-mid 90s, which sometimes can be seen clearly in the attitudes of the characters. For example, the not-so-subtle homophobic opinions of Ross. The thing is that it somehow moved into the mid 00's without changing much at all... Maybe in the 90s it felt fairly revolutionary to have an openly lesbian (secondary) character in a (very white and very safe) sitcom... But as the series advanced and we got into the 2000s, the characters attitudes didn't change that much even if society outside the TV show was moving towards more open positions regarding homosexuality. But that's usual in long running sitcoms, where characters become two dimensional parodies of their early selves. Is Joey funny because he's sort of simple, and a food and sex addicted person? Let's keep him that way and never make him change.

By the way, Ross was the character that ended up being the worst for me in this run. He felt like a very self centered person, borderline narcissistic... What's the big deal if people are having sex in front of your book in a library? Oh, it is definitely a big deal for Ross "I'm a palaeontologist" Geller. Rachel is also pretty self centered too, but she comes from a very privileged background and ends up doing something for herself in the end. In my opinion, the characters that came out the best at the end were Joey and Phoebe. Yeah, they were fairly dysfunctional examples of human beings, but they felt like the most honest of the bunch.

You know what else I found interesting about 'Friends' that reinforced the idea of it being a very 'safe' sitcom? As the show progressed and we reached the final season, all of the characters sort of end up being 'where they should be' and getting 'what they should get' according to some widely accepted societal expectactions... Ross and Rachel are together with a child (Ben, the boy raised by two lesbians, sort of disappeared from the scene), Phoebe marries some guy, Chandler and Monica are together and adopt two babies... Joey, well, he's like the sixth wheel and I guess was left free to do that other sitcom. They all expect to get big weddings, baby showers, hen dos... They all just settle down in a sort of middle class, middle age, average (white) American life. Not one of them decides to live in a way that is actually different, out of the usual, somewhat transgressive... And, no, having a wedding on the street because it's snowing a lot is not that crazy. I'm sure Phoebe was just a somewhat eccentric soccer mum a few years later.

Ross was definitely insufferable. I just recently rewatched the episode with Freddie Prinze Jr as a male nanny. Ross was ultra against it because "it's weird." And there's no lesson learned or anything. Rachel concedes and they fire him.

The gay jokes also seemed to become more rampant as the show went on. A very strange stagnation for a show featuring a lesbian wedding on tv in the mid 90s (they had jokes back then too, but at least tried to balance it with progressive stuff too).

Yataran

Jul 17, 2018
Copenhagen, DK
Ross was definitely insufferable. I just recently rewatched the episode with Freddie Prinze Jr as a male nanny. Ross was ultra against it because "it's weird." And there's no lesson learned or anything. Rachel concedes and they fire him.

The gay jokes also seemed to become more rampant as the show went on. A very strange stagnation for a show featuring a lesbian wedding on tv in the mid 90s (they had jokes back then too, but at least tried to balance it with progressive stuff too).
Yes, that episode is particularly bad in that sense. There's also a much earlier episode where Ross is acting very strongly against Ben playing with a doll or something that could be considered "girly"... But the thing is that the episode with the male nanny is pretty late in the series, after Rachel's daughter (Emma?) is born.

The change in tone as the series progressed is subtle but it's there. As you said, early on the gay jokes and other issues were somehow balanced with some progressive stuff - fairly progressive at least for the 90s... But later everything became more conservative. I guess in part it's because the characters were growing older - However, in my opinion, 10 years in real life isn't that long a time for people to become that much more conservative, especially if they start in their mid 20s... I believe that it was more because the producers wanted to wrap up the series in a way that pleased as much of the audience as possible. And that was in the early 2000s, after Bush and 9/11. Looking back, it's possible that the mainstream media became somewhat more conservative at that time.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Friends is fine and all but Goddamn would i much rather $100 million worth of original programming.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Friends is comfort food, and there is nothing wrong with that to be honest

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
So Friends-fans, what's your favourite moment in the series? It's super-hard to pick one for me but if i had to, i'd go with Unagi. Love Ross so much lol!

Edit: Or PIVOT!

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Are people really this interested in a 20 year old show? $100 mil seems pretty steep to be honest.

Don't know what the viewership is now on Comedy Central UK but when E4 had it they were still getting half a million viewers daily for the repeats. Also here's a little anecdote from me, on the day it came out on Netflix I caught a workmate trying to sneak binge the first season while our boss was away from the office. Yes he was that eager to watch it ASAP.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
From what I know of people my age (mid 20s), Netflix is a The Office/Friends/Currently popular Netlifx original machine.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is my gf's favourite show and she streams this on Netflix almost everyday. If I could check our account's stats, Friends would most likely have more watchtime than everything else combined