• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/business/media/netflix-friends.html

The answer is no — for now. Reruns of Joey's thespian trials, Chandler's hapless sarcasm, Monica's compulsive cleanliness, Phoebe's feline riffs and the seemingly permanent courtship of Ross and Rachel will be available to watch on Netflix for at least another year, the streaming service has announced.

But it will come at a steep price: The company will pay around $100 million to continue licensing the program from its owner, WarnerMedia, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss details of the deal.

That's a significant jump from the $30 million a year that Netflix had paid previously to stream the show. But the new amount reflects the thirst for content in the streaming age. Online viewing is the future of entertainment, and the industry's biggest players

— including WarnerMedia's parent, AT&T; the Walt Disney Company; Comcast's NBCUniversal; Viacom; CBS; and Discovery — are retooling their streaming operations to take on services like Netflix and Amazon.
WarnerMedia and Netflix declined to comment.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wow. Royalties for the actors must be a pretty penny.

Oct 28, 2017
For me Friends is that show that you have zero interest in and cant understand the appeal but is wildly popular. It will forever be beyond my comprehension.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Holy batman. I just read they were getting 20 million a year back in 2015?!!! Why even work anymore

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god! Netflix I take back everything negative I ever said about you!

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Friends is just pure watchable mediocrity. It's something to have on in the background for noise and not pay attention to while you're doing other things in a group setting.

Now if you're actually invested in it then Jesus Christ there are other sitcoms to watch.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Holy batman. I just read they were getting 20 million a year back in 2015?!!! Why even work anymore

the same reason Paul McCartney still releases albums and the Rock makes movies and Mark Zuckerberg does whatever the fuck he does. Because they can.

Holy shit, Paul is worth 1.2 billion and Bono has like $700 million. Could they BE any richer?

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
There was a month where my friends swapped from having The Office always on to having Friends always on. Easily one of the worst months of my life.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Friends is just pure watchable mediocrity. It's something to have on in the background for noise and not pay attention to while you're doing other things in a group setting.

Now if you're actually invested in it then Jesus Christ there are other sitcoms to watch.

Pretty much this. Also fun to watch and see how social norms have changed since the 90s/2000s.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
$100 million in debt for that wack ass show. Netflix stuck in la la land. Shoulda got Martin. Far better sitcom.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, it's crazy that a single show could even be worth that investment. A lot of people must still watch it I guess?

Also, in for a thread about people hating the show because it's popular to hate it for some reason.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few shows that's massive enough worldwide to explain that pricetag. I'm going to assume the money's worth it.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Girlfriend loves this show and has to put it on every single night before falling asleep. I had a brief moment of satisfaction when I heard it was leaving

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What. How can this be a reasonable price to pay for that show, after all these years

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
And this deal is only for US Netflix. They paid $100 million to keep the show available to American viewers. The way WB operates outside of US (through scummy distributors), it would be impossible to make it available internationally.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people like it enough that it keeps them subscribed during times when original content is unfulfilling, then it's totally worth it for Netflix to keep the show around.

Oct 30, 2017
How much do the actors get paid for this?

I remember an article a bit back that the Friends cast get like 2% royalties. The show is so popular in syndication both national and internationally, each cast member is making millions every year from it just from that 2%. As noted by
Emwitus, the cast made $20 million each back in 2015, which means Warner Bros. made an insane $1 billion from the show off the cast's work that year.

Nov 30, 2018
Holy shit, it's crazy that a single show could even be worth that investment. A lot of people must still watch it I guess?

Also, in for a thread about people hating the show because it's popular to hate it for some reason.

Because they think somehow Netflix spending $100 million on Friends has something to do with Daredevil being canceled so they need to place their irrational logic somewhere

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Friends is probably like Star Trek in that while there are people who watch it, it's also a show that you turn on to watch before bed. A show to relax to.

At least that's my take.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
different strokes I guess. show was trash back then, still is now. but I guess one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot for just a year. But I guess they would have the data that would make the deal worth it.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
When it was on NBC I would watch it all the time. But the last couple of sessions I became nauseous every time Phoebe came on. It got to a point that I wanted to shoot the tv. Utterly annoying character.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So much money. And I bet a huge portion of people that watch them already have the complete DVD collection but use Netflix because it's easier lol.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For me Friends is that show that you have zero interest in and cant understand the appeal but is wildly popular. It will forever be beyond my comprehension.
I got bored of it after a couple of seasons during its original run, but that was more a case of me getting tired of predictable multi-cam sitcoms. (I kept watching Seinfeld, but that was something else altogether.)