• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I see people watching Friends and The Office all the time when I go to libraries.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The Watch podcast has been talking about what a phenomenon Friends is on Netflix for a while now. If that's the case 100 mill is worth it to keep those viewers from jumping to another service. Especially with Disney entering the fight next year.

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017
Girlfriend loves this show and has to put it on every single night before falling asleep.

This would make me nuts. And I say this as someone who knows the show inside out.

I imagine Netflix looked at the metrics and believe it's mostly worth the money. No one is joining Netflix for it but a lot of people put it on for comfort, noise and out of habit. And while you're going to Netflix to put on this old standard, maybe you'll see other stuff you want to watch... and then you just never get around to checking out Prime Video or Hulu.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
Good breakdown on what could be happening here. I get that Friends is the big story here, but the long term play for WarnerMedia is super interesting.

I'm stunned, but not surprised by AT&T's decision to extended their #Friends licensing deal with Netflix through 2019. A perfect example of, despite saying they were committed to winning in SVOD, Big Media wants to have their cake, eat it to - and then hope they get a 3rd cake

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my nieces watch it all the time so i would say it's worth it to them. bet you a ton of younger kids discover it all the time.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
People who say friends is mediocre annoy me. Was the show over its whole run great? No. But there's like three or four seasons of genuine, universal humor and humanity that's unique to the show. It's a legend for a reason; there is no mass delusion.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are the last two seasons good?
I was a fan back in the day but I watched the french dub (no choice back then) and they changed half of the voice actors in the later seasons and I hated it, so I completely stopped watching :|
I'm used to the original version now but I still haven't seen the end.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
You know Friends is decently watchable but It was around from when I was around nine to nineteen so I'm pretty fond of the show. It holds a lot of memories. I remember watching the finale with a load of the lads on a load of cocaine. It was great craic.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
Hulu stays winning with King of the Hill, Married with Children, and Seinfeld.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They want their hand in every pot basically. Rather then pulling back from Netflix and leveraging their own platform with Friends they're taking the $100 million and going to try and find original content to pull in people to HBO
I don't see why Matthew kept mentioning HBO. Friends doesn't seem like a great fit for HBO. For Warner's upcoming SVOD, sure, but not on HBO.

The bigger point that Matthew makes is that this can be seen as Warners not having as much confidence in their own streaming as they're letting Netflix, ultimately a future streaming competitor, license one of their most valuable properties.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, this show is fucking massive. There is reason to trust Netflix had insight into the numbers explaining why this show is worth that tag.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A lot of people must still throw it on. Its kind of like how I sometimes will just watch whatever random episode is airing in syndication late at night.

As a side note, if anyone wants to watch a good sitcom that is on Netflix that's relevant to our times check out One Day at a Time! Gonna shill for that show any chance I get. lol

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
100 Million you say? Yet DD gets canceled while its the 4th most streamed show across all streaming platforms.

Makes sense.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My sister is gonna be happy, she started rewatching the entire show on Netflix recently. Someday I should watch the episodes I missed, of which there are probably many.

the same reason Paul McCartney still releases albums and the Rock makes movies and Mark Zuckerberg does whatever the fuck he does. Because they can.

Holy shit, Paul is worth 1.2 billion and Bono has like $700 million. Could they BE any richer?
Funnily enough, Paul is coming to South America next year. He must enjoy the hell out of it, because the last thing he needs is money.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why Matthew kept mentioning HBO. Friends doesn't seem like a great fit for HBO. For Warner's upcoming SVOD, sure, but not on HBO.

The bigger point that Matthew makes is that this can be seen as Warners not having as much confidence in their own streaming as they're letting Netflix, ultimately a future streaming competitor, license one of their most valuable properties.

Yeah, Friends is never going to HBO. WarnerMedia is largely hedging their bets on their streaming service being ready for Q4 2019 (which they've already publicly started calling a "beta"), but as an anchor for WM's streaming product in 2020, it could be very powerful.

Plus, if they're considering Friends for their service, that could mean the whole Warner Bros. Television back catalog is in play, and that gets exciting, considering that includes properties like Fresh Prince, or even popular shows that have never been on a streaming service befor, like Big Bang Theory. It will be interesting to see how they combine all of these various brands and properties together into one product, or if they keep some things (HBO) as a separate offering.

As someone who works in this industry, the next year is going to be super interesting between this, Disney+, whatever happens to Hulu after the merger, and Netflix. And then there's Comcast/NBC:

And if you're the kind of person who finds all of this entertaining, I have good news for you: You're likely to see a repeat of this plot sometime in the near future, when Comcast's NBCUniversal has to think about what it wants to do with "The Office," which it currently streams on Netflix but will most likely want to keep for its own, yet-to-be-announced streaming service that it will likely launch once it sells its stake in Hulu.

NBCU execs say Netflix has told them "The Office" generates more viewing hours than anything else on the service. Which means Jim and Pam may end up getting more money than Ross and Rachel.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
No wonder they're in debt. That said, I'm relieved. I'm new to Netflix, and one of the biggest draws was Friends - a show I love and watch a lot late at night when I can't sleep.

I was worried it'd leave soon, because I want to watch it from the start through to the end, something I've never done in sequence.

So much money. And I bet a huge portion of people that watch them already have the complete DVD collection but use Netflix because it's easier lol.

I have the complete DVD collection, but didn't get as far as I'd hoped to in it for some reason. Netflix is now easier, you're right, and I'd rather not have to deal with the discs. If I have to though, I will.

Oct 25, 2017

I think the point was more to show HBO has an existing platform to put the content. Not that it has to HBO long term.

Either way we're both agreeing with him and how this is a weird play for ATT but maybe with it only being a year they pull it back later when their service goes out.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
The people in here saying Netflix are crazy to pay $100m for 1 year of friends are the probably the same people always complaining why Netflix doesn't have a larger library of great movies/non-Netflix telelvision.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife was actually going to cancel Netflix when she heard Friends wasn't being renewed. She was dead serious.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has been very slowly working through this show for the first time.. I guess I have my end date to target finishing the show by.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I love the show but I can't stand the syndicated (cut) versions that Netflix offers, even if they're in HD and widescreen. I'll stick with my DVDs.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Man, someone just make a sequel for this show and that would be the most watched series ever.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
It's the type of show I feel like I should hate considering my personality, but maybe watching it during its live run has put a permanent nostalgia tint on it. I've rewatched it multiple times and still enjoy it for all its numerous flaws.

I do hope all these other streaming services die quickly and thier best shows end up back on Netflix. I have no interest in having 200 different streaming accounts just to watch shows.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
The data they have on this must be insane. They are paying this much because of traffic.