• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
For me Friends is that show that you have zero interest in and cant understand the appeal but is wildly popular. It will forever be beyond my comprehension.
I tried to watch it back on TBS probably 10-15 years ago when it aired reruns around other reruns of Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond. It's just really bad; jokes aren't funny, characters are lame, very generic will they/won't they plot.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
So much money. And I bet a huge portion of people that watch them already have the complete DVD collection but use Netflix because it's easier lol.

Exactly me. Friends is one of my comfort shows along with Seinfeld and I have the entire series ripped from my Blu-ray's for my media server and I STILL use Netflix just because it's easier.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
Why so much talk about Netflix's debt?

I thought the consensus in the Netflix debt thread was that it's not really a big deal for them and they don't really care about it.

And they also make like $17bn/yr+ in subscription fees alone so they're not really hurting for money. Stock valuation at $120bn.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
I always had the complete set on my harddrive and lost count on how many times I watched it

When it appeared on netflix me and my girl watched it all over again.

I was one of those that was waiting every week for the new episode when it original aired and friend and seinfeld for me are one of the great sitcoms to watch again. (and Dilbert!)

Exactly me. Friends is one of my comfort shows along with Seinfeld and I have the entire series ripped from my Blu-ray's for my media server and I STILL use Netflix just because it's easier.
Exactly!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people hate on Friends so much?

It's not for everyone but it was an incredibly well executed show for what it was and it seems to continue to resonate with generation after generation of young adults. I can't think of many shows that can say that.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to believe Netflix paid $100 mil to host Friends for an extra year...since this figure is not official.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder how much they pay for the office. The second that show is gone Netflix is dead

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

It's not for everyone but it was an incredibly well executed show for what it was and it seems to continue to resonate with generation after generation of young adults. I can't think of many shows that can say that.
Yeah I don't get it. Later seasons aren't so hot, but Chandler is worth it by himself

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Friends is nice as a background show but is it really worth a 100 million into further debt?

May 5, 2018
Yeah the show isn't -good- but there's a lot of people out there. And those people live in desperate, lonely places and like their comfort television. I kinda wonder if there weren't other possible bids nipping at the chance. The show seems perfect for Hulu's current selection.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018

Annoying characters. I just hate every single character on the show. They are just so obnoxious it almost defies belief for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
If they didn't get a EP or producer credit when they did their last deal they aren't getting any part of 90% of this.

Not to be confused with Jerry Seinfeld deal

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Paying that much means a lot of people must be watching it, which makes sense. Around here you'd think its the worst show to ever exist and people just put it on for "background noise," but in reality a fuck ton of people love that show.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear as I'm still on season 2. The show isn't that bad. I like it better than Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory and 70's Show.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing that the price of Friends was seen as absurd back then. People really underestimated how much streaming would take over the living room.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waste of money, money could have gone to more new shows. Shows that Netflix could have made and owned compared to this

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Some people seriously underestimate how popular Friends is, especially for places outside of NA, it's huge.
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...-tv-why-is-friends-still-so-popular-1.3597194

Nope. The answer is: Friends. That doesn't quite cover it. The answer is FRIENDS! After surveying 2,500 UK viewers, Ofcom found the series was streamed around twice as much as its nearest rival.

Now take that kind of info and apply it to other countries where Friends is still super popular, that is why Netflix will pay 100million to keep it on Netflix, and yes people will subscribe to a service for a show like that being on it.

(I subbed to hulu just to watch all of Seinfeld).

Oct 29, 2017
Friends is great. It's a cultural icon and has more staying power than any other sitcom. It hasn't even seemed to die down all that much with the kids born just a few years before it ended watching it now.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Friends is probably like Star Trek in that while there are people who watch it, it's also a show that you turn on to watch before bed. A show to relax to.

At least that's my take.
It's a show I'll put on when Im planning to do other stuff at the same time, and then I'll find myself watching five episodes in a row and completely focused on it.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
For me Friends is that show that you have zero interest in and cant understand the appeal but is wildly popular. It will forever be beyond my comprehension.

It's fun and 99% depression-free.
It also portrays a 20-something life of carelessness and no crushing student debt where friends get to live their adult lives together, basically a dream most millennials will never experience.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Never understood the appeal of Friends but I caught a few episodes on daytime TV recently and actually laughed at some of the jokes. It's not as amusing as Seinfeld, Frasier, or even something like The Drew Carey Show, but it's acceptable as a mainstream pick.

It's good to have an "o'l reliable" on a streaming channel; the kind of comfort "background noise" that people actually come back for since they know it's always there.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize so many Resetera members had access to Netflix's numbers and their own analytics departments. Impressive.