• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
uLpT76.jpg

Alias Grace is a Canadian-American television miniseries directed by Mary Harron and starring Sarah Gadon. It is based on the 1996 novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood and adapted by Sarah Polley.

The story fictionalizes the notorious 1843 murders of Thomas Kinnear and his housekeeper Nancy Montgomery in Upper Canada. Two servants of the Kinnear household, Grace Marks and James McDermott, were convicted of the crime. McDermott was hanged and Marks was sentenced to life imprisonment.

I finished this over the weekend, and I think, along with Mindhunter, it's my favourite thing that Netflix has put out. (I haven't seen Mudbound yet, but I've heard excellent things.) It's only 6 episodes long, and I could definitely see a lot of people having difficulty with the fairly open-ended finale, but overall it's one of those exquisitely written, deeply compelling period dramas that really draws you in.

I'd love to hear some discussion on it, as I think there's plenty to pick apart.

I was pretty surprised that they kept things so ambiguous by the ending. There was this constant undercurrent that Grace wasn't telling the whole truth, in such a way that I thought there would be some big reveal at the end, but instead it leaves it entirely up to the viewer as to whether you believe Grace (and which Grace to believe). Fundamentally, though, I don't really think it matters. This is a series about the insane disparity not only between men and women, but also between the servant class and the landowners. Every single aspect of who Grace was as a person was restrained, repressed and buried beneath an ingrained veneer of decorum and expected behaviour. That she's capable of the murders is without question, and that's really the revelation, I think.

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, did you have to post this? I just decided that I don't have time for another potentially great Netflix show, and now you're saying it's along your favorites? And then you tease me with "well, it's only six episodes...".

Netflix is killing me. [begrudgingly adds this to my watch list]

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching this now, it's very good. The acting is outstanding, and the pacing has been excellent so far (through episode 4). The narrative style is really interesting in that (I believe) we have a potentially unreliable narrator, who willingly and selectively withholds information. She does so in a way that makes forming solid conclusions challenging both for the audience and the other main character doing the interviews. The show hits on all the right beats for this type of period mystery-drama.

I can't help but feel and see some similarities between Grace's storytelling, and the experience I had playing Senua. Maybe it won't come to anything, but it feels somewhat similar.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I started watching only because I wanted to see David Cronenberg in something.

Almost done with it, loving it so far.

OP
OP
Arkestry

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm watching this now, it's very good. The acting is outstanding, and the pacing has been excellent so far (through episode 4). The narrative style is really interesting in that (I believe) we have a potentially unreliable narrator, who willingly and selectively withholds information. She does so in a way that makes forming solid conclusions challenging both for the audience and the other main character doing the interviews. The show hits on all the right beats for this type of period mystery-drama.

I can't help but feel and see some similarities between Grace's storytelling, and the experience I had playing Senua. Maybe it won't come to anything, but it feels somewhat similar.

Oh man, I'm going to be interested to see what you think after you finish. The final couple of episodes are tense as fuck.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering what Sarah Polley was up to the past few years, I guess I just got my answer.

Sarah Gadon was good in both Cronenbergs's (Brandon and David) latest films.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I'm going to be interested to see what you think after you finish. The final couple of episodes are tense as fuck.
I just finished the series last night and agree 100% with your spoiler tagged thoughts in the OP.

Some additional thoughts on the ending...
I was initially thinking that Grace developed multiple personalities throughout her difficult life, but after considering the sum of what we know, I don't think that's the case. I believe she's a survivor that has endured some incredibly oppressive and hostile social systems. As a result, Grace's intellect, wit and her ability to read people were sharpened and honed within that environment.

I believe she was fully in control of herself throughout the story. There were clues that the dr picked up on that indicated this. Also, the very opening scene shows her changing her expression based on all of the different ways in which she said she was perceived by others. Grace is a brilliant actor.

Her impact on the dr was fascinating. He started the conversations thinking he was in control. By the end it was clear Grace was in full control.

I found the resolution unsatisfying, but that's because the ending didn't turn out how I wanted. I really enjoyed the series though, and thought the acting and writing were very well done.
The actor who plays the doctor had some crazy dialated eyes in every scene. It was really odd once I noticed it.

Oct 28, 2017
The show really shits the bed with its ending. If you dont watch the last episode and make up your own story you'd probably enjoy the show a lot more.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a couple episodes in at the moment. I have other stuff I want to get to first but it's definitely an interesting show.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly cast. She has this ice queen "I'll fuck you up" look in her eyes.