• Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Netflix's Carmen Sandiego official trailer - 1/18

OP
OP
GK86
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like something I can watch with my six-year-old daughter. Always happy to have more female leads in kids shows, and Netflix has some good ones. Hilda, She-Ra, My Little Pony, Glitter Force...

Any others that parents would recommend? I also have a three-year-old, and she's still into Paw Patrol and Super Monsters. Bo on the Go sometimes too. And Peppa Pig.
Not a parent but I have a young sister and had to watch some of the above shows with her. She liked Paw Patrol, My Little Pony and Peppa Pig as well. She also liked Super Why and Sofia the First. But those shows might be too young for your daughter.

She really enjoyed the interactive, choose-your-own-adventure shows like Buddy Thunderstruck and Puss in Boots. Boss Baby, Brainchild (think Bill Nye the Science Guy)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like something I can watch with my six-year-old daughter. Always happy to have more female leads in kids shows, and Netflix has some good ones. Hilda, She-Ra, My Little Pony, Glitter Force...

Any others that parents would recommend? I also have a three-year-old, and she's still into Paw Patrol and Super Monsters. Bo on the Go sometimes too. And Peppa Pig.
My niece watches Llama Llama and Word Party on repeat...

Nov 1, 2017
Not a parent but I have a young sister and had to watch some of the above shows with her. She liked Paw Patrol, My Little Pony and Peppa Pig as well. She also liked Super Why and Sofia the First. But those shows might be too young for your daughter.

She really enjoyed the interactive, choose-your-own-adventure shows like Buddy Thunderstruck and Puss in Boots. Boss Baby, Brainchild (think Bill Nye the Science Guy)
Cool. I'll have to check out some of the interactive ones and see if they like them. I know there's a Minecraft one too.

Super Why is always good. I remember my own experiences with Sesame Street and actually learning the alphabet, numbers, and basic reading through it, so Super Why is a natural fit that reminds me of those times.

They're also really into Luna Petunia right now...similar to Mia...real-life girls that enter a CG-generated fantasy realm. They have good lessons on friendship and such.

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently its releasing today/tomorrow? This was my childhood growing up on my IBM playing all the Carmen Sandiego games. While I must say I'm not sure I care for her new direction/backstory it's also been many many years and different forms of media take different liberties with characters.

If anything it will be a snow-day series to watch.

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
This is ultimately harmless and the original show was stupid.

Let's take our nostalgia-dicks out of our hands and tuck them back in our shorts, hmm?

There is no Chief without Bone Queef
Bone like a skeleton, queef like a pussy fart?

I'll only watch if Carl Tart plays The Chief.
Came for a Chief reference, was not disappointed. Good work gumshoe! 10/10 post.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I do think the first two episodes are not the first two you start out with. While her backstory is interesting, it's kind of...not structured the way the rest of the episodes are. Those should have been towards the middle because it really is too far different to be the rest.

Oct 29, 2017
So, I do think the first two episodes are not the first two you start out with. While her backstory is interesting, it's kind of...not structured the way the rest of the episodes are. Those should have been towards the middle because it really is too far different to be the rest.
its also really goofy carmen and crackle discuss their weaponry and backstory to each other as if they both arent 100% aware of what they are

fun show other than weird initial structure. i know the mid-century modern look isnt eras bag but imo theres some really gorgeous shots. i really like this one from ep 2 where swirling clouds are rendered in brush stroke

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the first episode right now. Quoting They Might Be Giants isn't enough to make me like this premise.
The first two episodes really don't help the show. Not only is it not similar to any of the future episodes, it's honestly on the lower end of the season. I'd recommend just straight up skipping to episode 3 and only getting back if you like it. That one is more back to the old edutainment caper style this show is known for.

Oct 25, 2017
The first two episodes really don't help the show. Not only is it not similar to any of the future episodes, it's honestly on the lower end of the season. I'd recommend just straight up skipping to episode 3 and only getting back if you like it. That one is more back to the old edutainment caper style this show is known for.
Watched 4 episodes today, and I'm going to have to COMPLETELY disagree with you. The first 2 episodes are actually the best ones (so far). The trailer made it seem like the entire show was going to be her learning to be a thief, and while her characterization is still wrong (she's now a Robin Hood character instead of a GentleLady thief), it was still mostly on her and being a really cool character.

Carmen Sandiego definitely didn't need multiple bumbling sidekicks on top of her prepubescent super hacker and I don't think they add anything to the mix. That said, the best part so far is them paying homage to the Fox Kids cartoon with their edutainment opening on what they are going to steal with the same stupid puns. My kids are asleep, but we'll finish the series in the next day or two before I go into any 'serious' critique. It's definitely better than I was expecting, but a large part of that was how absolutely horrible the trailer made everything look.

Review after 5 1/2 episodes:

Show's better than I expected from the trailer, the artstyle grew on me after 1,2 episodes, but the characters - pretty much all besides carmen - are a mixture of cartoony clichés and paper-thin characters I've seen in hundreds of other kids shows. Cliché teen hacker. Clichéd, completely bland, silly, whacky but can-count-on-em friends out of nowhere. Silly villains. Silly good guys. Scenes you've seen a million times in other series. Writing that, so far, accumulates to absolutely nothing past the first 2 episodes.

Carmen is basically more of a hero than Robin Hood, all her enemies are bumbling cartoon idiots and lost every skill they had the moment Carmen shows up as their enemy (and, of course, the cliché evil love interest guy who will no doubt save her life later on or disappear after the pre-final fight with Carmen), the Inspector on this seemingly super important case is also a bumbling idiot. If you expect actual clever capers, you're on the wrong show. If you expect detective-y work or even exciting "will she make it" scenes: Wrong show. This is not a master thief story, it's the story of Carmen Sandiego and her wacky friends getting into almost Scooby-Doo levels of hijinks while stealing from bad people.

The geographical/historical facts are somewhat fun, the characterization and design of Carmen herself is great.

This seems to be way, way more of an actual kids' show than most other cartoon shows in the last few years, and the writing so far really kills it, in the bad way. But Carmen as a character keeps me keeping on with it for now.

It's not _really_ bad. But it's clearly not what I hoped for when it was announced.

Oct 25, 2017
Review after 5 1/2 episodes:

Show's better than I expected from the trailer, the artstyle grew on me after 1,2 episodes, but the characters - pretty much all besides carmen - are a mixture of cartoony clichés and paper-thin characters I've seen in hundreds of other kids shows. Cliché teen hacker. Clichéd, completely bland, silly, whacky but can-count-on-em friends out of nowhere. Silly villains. Silly good guys. Scenes you've seen a million times in other series. Writing that, so far, accumulates to absolutely nothing past the first 2 episodes.

Carmen is basically more of a hero than Robin Hood, all her enemies are bumbling cartoon idiots and lost every skill they had the moment Carmen shows up as their enemy (and, of course, the cliché evil love interest guy who will no doubt save her life later on or disappear after the pre-final fight with Carmen), the Inspector on this seemingly super important case is also a bumbling idiot. If you expect actual clever capers, you're on the wrong show. If you expect detective-y work or even exciting "will she make it" scenes: Wrong show. This is not a master thief story, it's the story of Carmen Sandiego and her wacky friends getting into almost Scooby-Doo levels of hijinks while stealing from bad people.

The geographical/historical facts are somewhat fun, the characterization and design of Carmen herself is great.

This seems to be way, way more of an actual kids' show than most other cartoon shows in the last few years, and the writing so far really kills it, in the bad way. But Carmen as a character keeps me keeping on with it for now.

It's not _really_ bad. But it's clearly not what I hoped for when it was announced.
What were you expecting? It's an edutainment show that's primary focused first on elementary school lessons. I got exactly what I thought I'd get, a fun kid's show that's focused on teaching geography-related lessons.

What were you expecting? It's an edutainment show that's primary focused first on elementary school lessons. I got exactly what I thought I'd get, a fun kid's show that's focused on teaching geography-related lessons.
I expected a well crafted plot that's somewhat on par with other cartoon shows that started in the last few years. I still somewhat enjoy watching this, 'cause I love me some passable cartoon art, but stuff since the Adventure Time days, be it She-Ra, be it Voltron, be it Gravity Falls or My Little Pony, hell, even Miraculous, which setup is as paper-thin as it can get, show that kid's cartoons don't have to be featureless and genericly clichéd just because they're kid's cartoons. Kid's aren't dumb, they never have been. And the benchmark of quality for storytelling and characterization in cartoon shows has been raised immensely during the last few years.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's disappointing, especially if you take in account the possibilities of Carmen Sandiego as a concept for cool, exciting and suspenseful storytelling for kids. It still has a few cool characters, some good scenes and it keeps me staying on the show. It's just not what it could have been.

Edit: Finished it, the ending underlined what I mean, that was expected from episode one on heh. I'm hopeful season 2 will be better, and I still stand by my post from earlier. If this season ends up to be a primer for better characters and better storytelling in season 2, I'll be happy, and I can believe that's gonna be the case.

Last edited: