• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
What if...Carmen Sandiego...was a thief...who only steals from other thieves?

On one hand, seems awfully lazy to just record hour 3 of a brainstorming session for show ideas then throw it in the trailer, but at least they animated it.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Carmen Sandiego is supposed to be the villain not a "she steals from the bad and is good", the old cartoon portrayed her as a thief that did it for the fun more than evil, i wish they had gone that route at least.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I love the faces, I hate the horribly flat animation. Will check it out but yeesh, I expected more from that perspective after seeing the really nice style in the thumbnail, which by itself would be super cool, but as soon as things move it looks incredibly bad, at least for me.

Last edited:

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I'm too old for the "this isn't MY [property I haven't been invested in for 20+ years]" kind of reaction, so I'll give this a shot. She might be fun, but I never saw the older cartoon... was it educational at all? This trailer just shouted out locations, but I wonder if they'll have flag colors or factoids or whatever in it.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I'm too old for the "this isn't MY [property I haven't been invested in for 20+ years]" kind of reaction, so I'll give this a shot. She might be fun, but I never saw the older cartoon... was it educational at all? This trailer just shouted out locations, but I wonder if they'll have flag colors or factoids or whatever in it.
It was as educational as other "edutainment" cartoons were back then where it did its best to have fun while dropping a fact or bit of knowledge here or there. Would need to watch the actual show to see if it's on the same level of edutainment as the old properties were.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll only watch if Carl Tart plays The Chief.

Oct 25, 2017
"Stealing isn't a game, it does harm people, especially when you are willing to steal lives"

I'm glad the writers of this show think that kids are stupid.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
"Stealing isn't a game, it does harm people, especially when you are willing to steal lives"

I'm glad the writers of this show think that kids are stupid.
b256929704619e5386ebcbf582cf2f5f.png

In all honesty though I have no problem with that line, it's no cheesier or dumber than the GI JO or Captain Planet PSAs

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Carmen Sandiego is supposed to be the villain not a "she steals from the bad and is good", the old cartoon portrayed her as a thief that did it for the fun more than evil, i wish they had gone that route at least.
She probably grows into that as she gets older and likely finds the fun in fucking with kids. Looking forward to this show greatly. Also, kinda need a plot device if you're gonna follow Carmen in this show. Otherwise why bother?

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
She probably grows into that as she gets older and likely finds the fun in fucking with kids. Looking forward to this show greatly. Also, kinda need a plot device if you're gonna follow Carmen in this show. Otherwise why bother?
No one wants to follow her we want her to be impossible to catch and almost a living legend.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No one wants to follow her we want her to be impossible to catch and almost a living legend.
Yeah a prequel retconning her into a good guy is making me think of Big Boss. Can't wait to see her have to steal the life of her mentor Darren Sanfrancisco at the end of the series to prevent a cyber war and then she turns evil.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The problem is that netflix doesn't have the greatest track record with their animated shows, I've tried to love them, I really have but they're written for little children and I mean dumb kids, they feel like 80s shows at times when they insulted kids intelligence by not having more mature themes and storylines which we saw in animated shows in the 90s and then evolve in the 00s and even more now in the 2010s. Reboots to Magic School Bus, King Kong, reboot, stretch arm strong all miss the point of the IPs.

The original show had Carmen as a villain as she should be even though she still helped the heroes when they were in real mortal danger and showed she was more of a grey villain. Finding out her motives could work but here they're selling her as "i'm a real hero in disguise" which misses the point of the franchise, you the person had to outwit this thief by learning about the world, I mean how will they even adapt this show into a mobile game? The awesome original games won't work since carmen IS the thief which you want to trap. It's like taking the movie Alien and making the aliens the good guys because they're the name of the franchise. They could've come up with a better way to do it, I mean I'm still going to watch the show but as I mentioned all their animated shows except for the hollow have been bad, I guess Voltron was good, I personally didn't like it but it has fans and at least it was trying to take risks.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
The problem is that netflix doesn't have the greatest track record with their animated shows, I've tried to love them, I really have but they're written for little children and I mean dumb kids, they feel like 80s shows at times when they insulted kids intelligence by not having more mature themes and storylines which we saw in animated shows in the 90s and then evolve in the 00s and even more now in the 2010s. Reboots to Magic School Bus, King Kong, reboot, stretch arm strong all miss the point of the IPs.

The original show had Carmen as a villain as she should be even though she still helped the heroes when they were in real mortal danger and showed she was more of a grey villain. Finding out her motives could work but here they're selling her as "i'm a real hero in disguise" which misses the point of the franchise, you the person had to outwit this thief by learning about the world, I mean how will they even adapt this show into a mobile game? The awesome original games won't work since carmen IS the thief which you want to trap. It's like taking the movie Alien and making the aliens the good guys because they're the name of the franchise. They could've come up with a better way to do it, I mean I'm still going to watch the show but as I mentioned all their animated shows except for the hollow have been bad, I guess Voltron was good, I personally didn't like it but it has fans and at least it was trying to take risks.
Netflix put out Castlevania, She-Ra, Voltron, Devilman crybaby last year. Solid bangers

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
So the player in the video games and the contestants on the game show were all V.I.L.E. operatives. Interesting...

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix probably didn't want a Latina criminal as the star of a show in today's modern Trumpian world.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Netflix put out Castlevania, She-Ra, Voltron, Devilman crybaby last year. Solid bangers
Devilman was always gonna get release. If you look at the production committee they are solely missing, and in part have no part with the funding. Like most"Netflix original" anime they only bought the license for it.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I wonder if they will reveal that 'Carmen Sandiego' is just a codename like 007 and that anyone can take up the name.