• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like something I can watch with my six-year-old daughter. Always happy to have more female leads in kids shows, and Netflix has some good ones. Hilda, She-Ra, My Little Pony, Glitter Force...

Any others that parents would recommend? I also have a three-year-old, and she's still into Paw Patrol and Super Monsters. Bo on the Go sometimes too. And Peppa Pig.

Not a parent but I have a young sister and had to watch some of the above shows with her. She liked Paw Patrol, My Little Pony and Peppa Pig as well. She also liked Super Why and Sofia the First. But those shows might be too young for your daughter.

She really enjoyed the interactive, choose-your-own-adventure shows like Buddy Thunderstruck and Puss in Boots. Boss Baby, Brainchild (think Bill Nye the Science Guy)

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like something I can watch with my six-year-old daughter. Always happy to have more female leads in kids shows, and Netflix has some good ones. Hilda, She-Ra, My Little Pony, Glitter Force...

Any others that parents would recommend? I also have a three-year-old, and she's still into Paw Patrol and Super Monsters. Bo on the Go sometimes too. And Peppa Pig.

My niece watches Llama Llama and Word Party on repeat...

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Not a parent but I have a young sister and had to watch some of the above shows with her. She liked Paw Patrol, My Little Pony and Peppa Pig as well. She also liked Super Why and Sofia the First. But those shows might be too young for your daughter.

She really enjoyed the interactive, choose-your-own-adventure shows like Buddy Thunderstruck and Puss in Boots. Boss Baby, Brainchild (think Bill Nye the Science Guy)

Cool. I'll have to check out some of the interactive ones and see if they like them. I know there's a Minecraft one too.

Super Why is always good. I remember my own experiences with Sesame Street and actually learning the alphabet, numbers, and basic reading through it, so Super Why is a natural fit that reminds me of those times.

They're also really into Luna Petunia right now...similar to Mia...real-life girls that enter a CG-generated fantasy realm. They have good lessons on friendship and such.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the art direction but it's Carmen, so I'm watching anyway. Would be dope if they kept the same OG opening song

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently its releasing today/tomorrow? This was my childhood growing up on my IBM playing all the Carmen Sandiego games. While I must say I'm not sure I care for her new direction/backstory it's also been many many years and different forms of media take different liberties with characters.

If anything it will be a snow-day series to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Apparently its releasing today/tomorrow? This was my childhood growing up on my IBM playing all the Carmen Sandiego games. While I must say I'm not sure I care for her new direction/backstory it's also been many many years and different forms of media take different liberties with characters.

If anything it will be a snow-day series to watch.

It is out now.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Watching it, 11 minutes in you might want to stop with teh Ja Rule jokes. Dude got a little psycho thing going.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Oh no! It's not exactly like my childhood! Whatever shall I do?

/s if it wasn't obvious.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I do think the first two episodes are not the first two you start out with. While her backstory is interesting, it's kind of...not structured the way the rest of the episodes are. Those should have been towards the middle because it really is too far different to be the rest.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the first episode right now. Quoting They Might Be Giants isn't enough to make me like this premise.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, I do think the first two episodes are not the first two you start out with. While her backstory is interesting, it's kind of...not structured the way the rest of the episodes are. Those should have been towards the middle because it really is too far different to be the rest.
its also really goofy carmen and crackle discuss their weaponry and backstory to each other as if they both arent 100% aware of what they are

fun show other than weird initial structure. i know the mid-century modern look isnt eras bag but imo theres some really gorgeous shots. i really like this one from ep 2 where swirling clouds are rendered in brush stroke
ocugb1t.jpg

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the first episode right now. Quoting They Might Be Giants isn't enough to make me like this premise.

The first two episodes really don't help the show. Not only is it not similar to any of the future episodes, it's honestly on the lower end of the season. I'd recommend just straight up skipping to episode 3 and only getting back if you like it. That one is more back to the old edutainment caper style this show is known for.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The first two episodes really don't help the show. Not only is it not similar to any of the future episodes, it's honestly on the lower end of the season. I'd recommend just straight up skipping to episode 3 and only getting back if you like it. That one is more back to the old edutainment caper style this show is known for.
Watched 4 episodes today, and I'm going to have to COMPLETELY disagree with you. The first 2 episodes are actually the best ones (so far). The trailer made it seem like the entire show was going to be her learning to be a thief, and while her characterization is still wrong (she's now a Robin Hood character instead of a GentleLady thief), it was still mostly on her and being a really cool character.

Carmen Sandiego definitely didn't need multiple bumbling sidekicks on top of her prepubescent super hacker and I don't think they add anything to the mix. That said, the best part so far is them paying homage to the Fox Kids cartoon with their edutainment opening on what they are going to steal with the same stupid puns. My kids are asleep, but we'll finish the series in the next day or two before I go into any 'serious' critique. It's definitely better than I was expecting, but a large part of that was how absolutely horrible the trailer made everything look.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Review after 5 1/2 episodes:

Show's better than I expected from the trailer, the artstyle grew on me after 1,2 episodes, but the characters - pretty much all besides carmen - are a mixture of cartoony clichés and paper-thin characters I've seen in hundreds of other kids shows. Cliché teen hacker. Clichéd, completely bland, silly, whacky but can-count-on-em friends out of nowhere. Silly villains. Silly good guys. Scenes you've seen a million times in other series. Writing that, so far, accumulates to absolutely nothing past the first 2 episodes.

Carmen is basically more of a hero than Robin Hood, all her enemies are bumbling cartoon idiots and lost every skill they had the moment Carmen shows up as their enemy (and, of course, the cliché evil love interest guy who will no doubt save her life later on or disappear after the pre-final fight with Carmen), the Inspector on this seemingly super important case is also a bumbling idiot. If you expect actual clever capers, you're on the wrong show. If you expect detective-y work or even exciting "will she make it" scenes: Wrong show. This is not a master thief story, it's the story of Carmen Sandiego and her wacky friends getting into almost Scooby-Doo levels of hijinks while stealing from bad people.

The geographical/historical facts are somewhat fun, the characterization and design of Carmen herself is great.

This seems to be way, way more of an actual kids' show than most other cartoon shows in the last few years, and the writing so far really kills it, in the bad way. But Carmen as a character keeps me keeping on with it for now.

It's not _really_ bad. But it's clearly not what I hoped for when it was announced.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Review after 5 1/2 episodes:

Show's better than I expected from the trailer, the artstyle grew on me after 1,2 episodes, but the characters - pretty much all besides carmen - are a mixture of cartoony clichés and paper-thin characters I've seen in hundreds of other kids shows. Cliché teen hacker. Clichéd, completely bland, silly, whacky but can-count-on-em friends out of nowhere. Silly villains. Silly good guys. Scenes you've seen a million times in other series. Writing that, so far, accumulates to absolutely nothing past the first 2 episodes.

Carmen is basically more of a hero than Robin Hood, all her enemies are bumbling cartoon idiots and lost every skill they had the moment Carmen shows up as their enemy (and, of course, the cliché evil love interest guy who will no doubt save her life later on or disappear after the pre-final fight with Carmen), the Inspector on this seemingly super important case is also a bumbling idiot. If you expect actual clever capers, you're on the wrong show. If you expect detective-y work or even exciting "will she make it" scenes: Wrong show. This is not a master thief story, it's the story of Carmen Sandiego and her wacky friends getting into almost Scooby-Doo levels of hijinks while stealing from bad people.

The geographical/historical facts are somewhat fun, the characterization and design of Carmen herself is great.

This seems to be way, way more of an actual kids' show than most other cartoon shows in the last few years, and the writing so far really kills it, in the bad way. But Carmen as a character keeps me keeping on with it for now.

It's not _really_ bad. But it's clearly not what I hoped for when it was announced.

What were you expecting? It's an edutainment show that's primary focused first on elementary school lessons. I got exactly what I thought I'd get, a fun kid's show that's focused on teaching geography-related lessons.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What were you expecting? It's an edutainment show that's primary focused first on elementary school lessons. I got exactly what I thought I'd get, a fun kid's show that's focused on teaching geography-related lessons.
I expected a well crafted plot that's somewhat on par with other cartoon shows that started in the last few years. I still somewhat enjoy watching this, 'cause I love me some passable cartoon art, but stuff since the Adventure Time days, be it She-Ra, be it Voltron, be it Gravity Falls or My Little Pony, hell, even Miraculous, which setup is as paper-thin as it can get, show that kid's cartoons don't have to be featureless and genericly clichéd just because they're kid's cartoons. Kid's aren't dumb, they never have been. And the benchmark of quality for storytelling and characterization in cartoon shows has been raised immensely during the last few years.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's disappointing, especially if you take in account the possibilities of Carmen Sandiego as a concept for cool, exciting and suspenseful storytelling for kids. It still has a few cool characters, some good scenes and it keeps me staying on the show. It's just not what it could have been.

Edit: Finished it, the ending underlined what I mean, that was expected from episode one on heh. I'm hopeful season 2 will be better, and I still stand by my post from earlier. If this season ends up to be a primer for better characters and better storytelling in season 2, I'll be happy, and I can believe that's gonna be the case.

Last edited:

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
I found the old animated show OP theme

it turned out to be the elevator music

:(

Oct 25, 2017
I expected a well crafted plot that's somewhat on par with other cartoon shows that started in the last few years. I still somewhat enjoy watching this, 'cause I love me some passable cartoon art, but stuff since the Adventure Time days, be it She-Ra, be it Voltron, be it Gravity Falls or My Little Pony, hell, even Miraculous, which setup is as paper-thin as it can get, show that kid's cartoons don't have to be featureless and genericly clichéd just because they're kid's cartoons. Kid's aren't dumb, they never have been. And the benchmark of quality for storytelling and characterization in cartoon shows has been raised immensely during the last few years.

Again, I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's disappointing, especially if you take in account the possibilities of Carmen Sandiego as a concept for cool, exciting and suspenseful storytelling for kids. It still has a few cool characters, some good scenes and it keeps me staying on the show. It's just not what it could have been.

Edit: Finished it, the ending underlined what I mean, that was expected from episode one on heh. I'm hopeful season 2 will be better, and I still stand by my post from earlier. If this season ends up to be a primer for better characters and better storytelling in season 2, I'll be happy, and I can believe that's gonna be the case.

The shows you listed are aiming for preteens, not young kids. This is aimed more at the 5-8 crowd.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the old games and shows, Carmen was a gentlewoman thief, and sometimes the hero. And she never harmed anyone or hell she went out of her way to help people

She stole the Sydney Opera House.

I understand why Carmen is the main character (it's because "the player" would be a pretty boring main character), but I dunno about this "she was always actually a good guy" pitch. I personally was very annoyed she kept making me look up what county Lima was the capital of.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like the art style and animation. Surprised so many people are shitting on it considering how good the actual animation and designs look compared to so much other western animation I see these days. I mean, I can see how people look at it and just think "flash animation" or whatever, but give a little more credit where it's due.

Most everything else seems like a weird approach, but eh, whatever. I'm sure it will at least have little trivia about the world just like the games and the gameshow, so even if they are remixing everything else about the IP, if they find a way to interest a new generation with some edutainment, how bad can it be?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I actually like the art style and animation. Surprised so many people are shitting on it considering how good the actual animation and designs look compared to so much other western animation I see these days. I mean, I can see how people look at it and just think "flash animation" or whatever, but give a little more credit where it's due.

Most everything else seems like a weird approach, but eh, whatever. I'm sure it will at least have little trivia about the world just like the games and the gameshow, so even if they are remixing everything else about the IP, if they find a way to interest a new generation with some edutainment, how bad can it be?
The show definitely does stuff like "Oh btw did you know that Ecuador, the country you are in, is known for bananas and tuna exports and their capital is the highest in the world?"

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
I think the art style and animation are fantastic.

"This looks like Flash game / Animation" is such a boring and stupid critique. Same as " Oh it's just CalArts style " .
It always sound like this is the easy or lazy way to animate something.
This is flash animation.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
This is not the Carmen Sandiego I grew up with in the 80s while sitting in front of my Apple //e clutching a World Almanac.

I don't mind the animation but the Noble Thief angle is an instant NOPE for me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm really enjoying this series. It's a weird yet satisfying fusion of Kim Possible, Samurai Jack, Batman, Indiana Jones, James Bond, and National Geographic.

I don't even mind that she's a noble thief this go around. It's shaping up to be the Sly Cooper cartoon I never grew up with.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
We're on episode 6 or 7 now and

I was actually caught off guard by the Shadowsan switcheroo, but looking back on it I really shouldn't have been. They were putting too much emphasis on the bear hugging lady... but I really didn't spend all that much time analyzing things beyond face value.

I'm glad to see my fears that there wasn't going to be an overarching story were unfounded, but I still just can't help feel like the bumbling sidekicks aren't really adding too much. But hey, we'll see where things go from here I guess.

On more age appropriate viewership, my eldest daugher who's 9 really likes this show, as she did also for She-ra. Netflix is hitting the right notes for their target audience if she's anything to go by.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Is this an educational show about geography and history, or does it focus more on Carmen Sandiego and her story?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an educational show about geography and history, or does it focus more on Carmen Sandiego and her story?
The latter with hints of the former. This is first and foremost, a kids spy/action series. It does it's best to pretend to be a bit educational with some info dumps at the start of each episode (beyond the first few)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
We're on episode 6 or 7 now and

I was actually caught off guard by the Shadowsan switcheroo, but looking back on it I really shouldn't have been. They were putting too much emphasis on the bear hugging lady... but I really didn't spend all that much time analyzing things beyond face value.

I'm glad to see my fears that there wasn't going to be an overarching story were unfounded, but I still just can't help feel like the bumbling sidekicks aren't really adding too much. But hey, we'll see where things go from here I guess.

On more age appropriate viewership, my eldest daugher who's 9 really likes this show, as she did also for She-ra. Netflix is hitting the right notes for their target audience if she's anything to go by.
I wouldn't even call Zac and Ivy "bumbling sidekicks". Sure they aren't like as crazy skilled and poised as Carmen, but both of them don't really "mess up" as you usually see with those kind of sidekicks. Even when they had Zac pose as someone else he got it down in less than 24 hours and did manage to play the role till the end although with some close calls. He is also a great driver and both Ivy and Zac have been running distraction and interference for Carmen successfully. They also never got caught and taken hostage or anything else stereotypical like that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't even call Zac and Ivy "bumbling sidekicks". Sure they aren't like as crazy skilled and poised as Carmen, but both of them don't really "mess up" as you usually see with those kind of sidekicks. Even when they had Zac pose as someone else he got it down in less than 24 hours and did manage to play the role till the end although with some close calls. He is also a great driver and both Ivy and Zac have been running distraction and interference for Carmen successfully. They also never got caught and taken hostage or anything else stereotypical like that.
They also have zero character development as for the mid point in the season, so there is still time... but like absolutely nothing about any of their back stories, including player's.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Loved watching this with my daughter. It's a shame the first part of the season is only nine episodes, we blew through it too fast.

Carmen Sandiego |OT| Fedora the Explorer

Really enjoying the lineup Netflix has been putting out for kids with Trollhunters, 3Below, Hilda, and She-Ra! Our kiddo loves She-Ra in particular.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For people who may not have noticed btw
the woman that Carmen steals the red coat and hat from that become her signature outfit was voiced by the voice actress for the original Carmen Sandiego from the 90s series

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the art style was a bit flat when I saw the stills, but in motion it just works and is actually really nice.