• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Is this an educational show about geography and history, or does it focus more on Carmen Sandiego and her story?
Its the latter. The first episode after the prologue feels pretty educational with the way it naturally weaves all of the factoids about indonesia from the start into the plot but later episodes are hilariously thin with how little the geography aspect matters beyond being a cool setting for over the top spies and villains to do capers in.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Am I reading way too much into this to be seeing hints of WLW all over the place? Admittedly, it's not as blatant as She-Ra, but I don't feel crazy for noticing this.

- The man Carmen has the most chemistry with ever, Gray/Graham/Crackle, is repeatedly described as brotherly love. Even when he invites her out on a date, she repeats that she sees him as a brother.
- Carmen has no chemistry with Zach at all, and Player is basically just a younger brother figure.
- Ms. Argent is oddly obsessed with assuming the best of Carmen, matched only by Devineaux's obsession with assuming the worst of her.
- When Carmen meets Ms. Argent on the train and she says she's waiting for her "partner", after a beat she feels the need to clarify that Chase Devineaux is her "work partner", as if she thought some other reading of "partner" was accidentally implied.
- Reinforced when Devineaux is frustrated that Ms. Argent credits Carmen for helping get the Magna Carta back, and Devineaux is jealous of not being considered her partner.
- All of Carmen's best fight scenes are against other women.
- The rocket scientist in the Australia episode only had pictures of her with other women on her social media page.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Am I reading way too much into this to be seeing hints of WLW all over the place? Admittedly, it's not as blatant as She-Ra, but I don't feel crazy for noticing this.

- The man Carmen has the most chemistry with ever, Gray/Graham/Crackle, is repeatedly described as brotherly love. Even when he invites her out on a date, she repeats that she sees him as a brother.
- Carmen has no chemistry with Zach at all, and Player is basically just a younger brother figure.
- When Carmen meets Ms. Argent on the train and she says she's waiting for her "partner", after a beat she feels the need to clarify that Chase Devineaux is her "work partner", as if she thought some other reading of "partner" was accidentally implied.
- Ms. Argent is oddly obsessed with assuming the best of Carmen, matched only by Devineaux's obsession with assuming the worst of her.
- All of Carmen's best fight scenes are against other women.
- The rocket scientist in the Australia episode only had pictures of her with other women on her social media page.
I can certainly see it, but I am usually the one who always thinks that fanbases go way to quickly into thinking about sexual attraction and such when it's not what stories and characters are about in a series

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh, for sure. I don't even remember any of the adults explicitly shown to be in a relationship at all.
Yeah there hasn't really been any of that from what I remember. No one has a partner, the only affection that was really talked about was something like "you found me as a baby and let me grow up" and such. Ivy and Zac are brother and sister. Honestly, the only two people I kinda looked at in a "there may be romantic feelings for others" way were Tigress and Gray/Crackle. Tigress was clearly jealous of Carmen and wanted to have Gray spend more time with her and Gray...I really think he didn't look at Carmen as a "little sister".

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also feel like it's slightly implied
the goat and the mole might be an item. Besides always being in episodes together, they both rush to each others' safety. Very cute.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I also feel like it's slightly implied
the goat and the mole might be an item. Besides always being in episodes together, they both rush to each others' safety. Very cute.
again it could totally be read into their partnership but from the actual content we saw it seems they are just really good friends.
of course there is the whole....oh....oh my god...
Goat is the top.....Mole is the bottom......

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a lot of stretching there honestly. In She-ra the implication is clearly there. In this show it feels entirely asexual. Not that Carmen necessarily is so much as she's still young and is much more focused on herself and who she is and where she really comes from.

Though that may change, we're still only half way through at our house.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think that's a lot of stretching there honestly. In She-ra the implication is clearly there. In this show it feels entirely asexual. Not that Carmen necessarily is so much as she's still young and is much more focused on herself and who she is and where she really comes from.

Though that may change, we're still only half way through at our house.
Yeah of course there is
I really don't think the series will care about romance which is perfect fine
Can't stop fanbase from shipping though D:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished the current batch of episodes.

Props to the show for some twists and turns I wasn't expecting. Eager to see how it pans out.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah of course there is
I really don't think the series will care about romance which is perfect fine
Can't stop fanbase from shipping though D:

Correction, I guess we HAD finished the series, didn't realize how short this first season was. Went to put on more today with the kids and was surprised it'd started over.

Anyways yeah of course the fanbase is going to ship characters, I just don't get any romantic vibes at all (except for Crackle, who obviously liked Carmen). It's a shame that if there are/were supposed to be LGBTQ+ characters or relationships that they won't show it as plainly as something like Korra and Steven Universe, but by the same token it just doesn't feel like there is any real setup here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Correction, I guess we HAD finished the series, didn't realize how short this first season was. Went to put on more today with the kids and was surprised it'd started over.

Anyways yeah of course the fanbase is going to ship characters, I just don't get any romantic vibes at all (except for Crackle, who obviously liked Carmen). It's a shame that if there are/were supposed to be LGBTQ+ characters or relationships that they won't show it as plainly as something like Korra and Steven Universe, but by the same token it just doesn't feel like there is any real setup here.
Yeah I gotta be honest, I enjoy romantic displays like that a lot more when they feel actually realistically implemented into the story and way the series presents itself. And right now, I just don't really see it, like all of the characters are always shown during "work time" basically or have a lot of other things on their mind outside of romance. I think this is a series that's a lot more about friendship, finding yourself, believing in yourself and what you think is right and wrong and has good "basic morals" for the younger audience it goes for. Maybe in later seasons when the first time viewers have grown up a little bit, they can slowly trickle in more romance/sexuality content

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes with my wife last night and it was shockingly decent. It had very solid music, funny jokes, clever writing, and Carmen's character is great.

I'm sad to see there are only 9 episodes. Is there any rumor of a second season?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first two episodes with my wife last night and it was shockingly decent. It had very solid music, funny jokes, clever writing, and Carmen's character is great.

I'm sad to see there are only 9 episodes. Is there any rumor of a second season?
It hasn't even been a week and we just got confirmation on She-ra and that was released months ago.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

A second season is already confirmed. Netflix ordered 20 episodes at the start, but we don't know if that means Season 1 will get 11 more episodes, or if Season 2 will include those 11 episodes as its own season.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching this. I actually really enjoyed it. Definitely not a show to think too deeply on how all the backstory etc.. works, but even then the mid season/end of season definitely left it on a nice hook.

Looking forward to more!

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
This show I went into not feeling the whole new concept for 'hero' Carmen but everything here really surprised me...
From the way the show has handled incorporating ALL the parts of the lore and everything into it (Chase's start with Interpol and then transitioning into ACME, the Chief being obviously inspired by the gameshow, the Where On Earth theme song music being played in the elevator, and the origin of Carmen being the same as the old animated show... if only Tim Curry were still able to voice Maelstrom) to how Dark the show gets at points already (and holy crap they don't hold back sometimes) is all very surprising.
The twists are great and the fact it's a purely serialized plot also contribute to its story and characters being so good...

Makes sense that the guy who gave us Transformers Prime and The Batman is the lead writer on this. It definitely shows.

I need the back 11 episodes now lol

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
^
Agreed, I really loved it.

Can't wait for more, despite just finishing lol!
Also yet another nod I liked, having her partners also be a brother and sister Zack and Ivy. :)
I re-watched the elevator scene right away for that, lol. I also laughed when Kari Wahlgren's character got to name herself Tigress, like her Kung Fu Panda character in the TV version of that.

It hasn't even been a week and we just got confirmation on She-ra and that was released months ago.
Excellent, I missed that update, can't wait for April now, loved the first season of She-ra. Really got into from the start and then I felt like it got even better as it went and then really found its groove and then eps started picking up right where the previous would leave off once the setup was complete.

Yeah. Those two eps did a great job kicking off the show, Carmen's character, and setting things up.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
^
Also yet another nod I liked, having her partners also be a brother and sister Zack and Ivy. :)
Wait..don't tell me they end up becoming the EagleEye Detective Agency. Now I can feel my childhood suddenly having its own cinematic universe...
This looks like the erin esurance commercials. Strange. Looks neat though.
This would probably be the perfect time to bring back Erin Esurance, too: "Have you property stolen by Carmen Sandiego? Don't worry! Esurance has got you covered..."

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait..don't tell me they end up becoming the EagleEye Detective Agency. Now I can feel my childhood suddenly having its own cinematic universe...

This would probably be the perfect time to bring back Erin Esurance, too: "Have you property stolen by Carmen Sandiego? Don't worry! Esurance has got you covered..."

Erin Esurance will never come back because rule34 was so bad for her.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be a cool crossover.

Erin Esurance will never come back because rule34 was so bad for her.
LOL

I didn't see that stop other cartoons from airing, where Rule 34 can be just as bad...
LOL yeah

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
This was a pretty enjoyable world caper adventure! Lightweight and easy to watch and the Netflix serialization allows for enough intrigue for an overarching plot to pay off.

The action is easy to follow and dynamic and clever, pitting the show's various thief gimmicks to gimmicks. Mime Bomb is a lot of fun and surprising competent. The geographical locales may be just window dressing but it keeps the backgrounds vivid and varied.

It's colorful and adventurous and in addition to its straightforward good and evil conflict, I thought it had a very positive attitude about history, prominently displayed in how VILE intends to use their stolen goods for petty reasons. It also presents a wider world that is worthwhile to explore.

Also Carmen's hair is so fluffy!

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to this. Not the deepest series around, but it was a pretty fun ride with a lot of great moments, and I appreciate the TMNT-esque approach to cherry picking elements from every facet of the IP to make something new (I missed you so much, Chief). Gorgeous from start to finish too thanks to the art style making every frame beautiful, even when the animation itself isn't the smoothest.

You can feel the character development kicking in by the end, and I'm eager to see where all they're going with that now.