• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Punisher and was going through that phase where you're like kind of sad that your show is gone and you kind of miss it but this looks like it's here to save the day. Going to go all in on this when I get a chance to start watching it.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Binged it all today and loved it. I love films/shows that explore this theme. It's such a cool idea with so much room for creativity e.g. whether it's intentional through the use of technology (Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow) or something that the protagonist has to try and discover for themselves (like Before I Fall or Happy Death Day and obviously Groundhog Day).

Always looking for recommendations for films of this kind if anyone has any!
Not a movie, but have you seen the show Day Break with Taye Diggs?

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Thought this was fantastic. Didnt even know it was releasing yesterday but ended up binging the whole season. Great take on the whole groundhog day premise.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was a movie, I need to prepare to watch it as a season. I still haven't watched Dare Devil season 3.

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved it, binged the whole thing today!

very ending spoiler question...
Netflix did that annoying thing where it cuts the screen down to tiny size for the last 5 seconds right at the end of the last episode, but it looked like it cut from the 2 realities into one combined reality is that the case? or did they both stay split off into new paths?

William

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Binged it all today and loved it. I love films/shows that explore this theme. It's such a cool idea with so much room for creativity e.g. whether it's intentional through the use of technology (Source Code and Edge of Tomorrow) or something that the protagonist has to try and discover for themselves (like Before I Fall or Happy Death Day and obviously Groundhog Day).

Always looking for recommendations for films of this kind if anyone has any!

Is Before I fall any good?

I really liked this series and am looking for a it more time rewindy fun.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Birthday Baybeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Greta Lee was amazing in this show, and I first heard of her as the voice of Spidey 2099's hologram sidekick.

Binged the whole thing, sooooooo good. The show did a perfect job showing off both the fun and the existential terror of being trapped in a time loop, and the way the themes came together in the final episodes was masterful. I could watch Natasha Lyonne read the phone book, and Yul Vasquez was phenomenal throughout.

Apparently they have two more seasons in the hopper, but this felt like a perfect miniseries. Way better than Maniac.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Man I couldn't stop watching this. I loved it. I'm a sucker for time loop stuff like this. Great show.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they have two more seasons in the hopper, but this felt like a perfect miniseries.

Yeah, I was just reading some interviews and they originally pitched 3 seasons to Netflix. There is definitely some stuff that was never properly explained like
the rotting fruit and why people and things went missing
so there is definitely more they can explore in other seasons.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Love the show it was great! I hope they can keep the quality up if they decide to keep doing more seasons, but if they ended it here I wouldn't be mad.

Apr 14, 2018
Just finished this with the gf and absolutely loved it. The Happy Death Day comparisons are acurate, but by the midway point it turns into this illegitimate love-child of that and
Stephen King's The Langoliers
, which I didn't expect at all, and I mean that in the best way.

Very clever take on this theme, I thought.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First show I've ever binged watched but I just had to. I thought I'd watch 1-2 episodes tonight but I just finished it and damn this was good.

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely loved it, binged the whole thing today!

very ending spoiler question...
Netflix did that annoying thing where it cuts the screen down to tiny size for the last 5 seconds right at the end of the last episode, but it looked like it cut from the 2 realities into one combined reality is that the case? or did they both stay split off into new paths?

It definitely looked like two instances of Nadia passed each other in opposite directions during the parade sequence after the splitscreen disappears, and doesn't immediately look like Alan is there after he goes off screen pre-split.

Edit: reading some recaps it seems scarf Alan is there, I must have missed him in the wide shot

In any case, I dug this a lot. Really fantastic supporting cast. Sweet birthday baaaaby

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Two more seasons? Hmm, I'd be interested to see where they can take this. Maybe move past the time loop and deal with them knowing that there are other realities and that things aren't right in the world?

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Same. I'm only two episodes in, but I find her extremely unlikeable. I get that's part of the setup probably, but in a film like Groundhog Day you're already past that phase of the story after 40-60 minutes.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I'm only two episodes in, but I find her extremely unlikeable. I get that's part of the setup probably, but in a film like Groundhog Day you're already past that phase of the story after 40-60 minutes.
See, this didn't bother me because it's clearly a bullshit defense mechanism. Also it was easy for me to overlook because of the situation she was in--it felt like she was being punished for something.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Enjoyed it but I thought
splitting them off into two timelines
felt like a bit of a random asspull. Granted you just have to roll with the slippery logic in stories like this but it felt like they wrote themselves into a corner.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Was a very nice setup. Felt like i saw this 1000 times, but they flipped it on you.The dialogue was weirdly paced. Then it clicked.

Was a very fun ride. Amazing amount of diversity as well...

Is she the daughter of the vampire from that jim carrey movie? I think shes Audrey too from one of the National lampoons vacation movies too. She really grew on you as a character.

They nailed mike. I know that dude.... I think we all do.

Sinthe

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Finished in 1 evening. loved it, but the finale is rushed and lame.

TO be fair It's difficult to make a proper finale for this subgenre of films.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I'm going back to my original comment. I don't want another season. I don't want an explanation. Because it's easy to come up with one, but it's rarely satisfying for stories like these. How? isn't important.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed it but I thought
splitting them off into two timelines
felt like a bit of a random asspull. Granted you just have to roll with the slippery logic in stories like this but it felt like they wrote themselves into a corner.
But I think both timelines merged at the parade

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought this was going to be kind of meh after watching the trailer, but holy shit it was top tier. Perfect 25 min episodes and natasha was awesome.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wowzers! First great series of 2019 and Natasha was incredible to watch -- Couldn't take my eyes off of her. The entire cast was nails.

Series went to places I didn't expect, what a trippy emotional draining ride.

SWoS

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Wowzers! First great series of 2019 and Natasha was incredible to watch -- Couldn't take my eyes off of her. The entire cast was nails.

Series went to places I didn't expect, what a trippy emotional draining ride.

I can't think of one poor performance.

The moment when
Alan confesses how he died for the first time
was heartbreaking.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and Natasha didn't have one false note. After being in the business for decades this is certainly her coming out party.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I like natasha lyonne a lot and I binged this whole thing yesterday

Soundtrack is brilliant, very cool to hear some Anika

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does Chloe Sevigny have a decent role in this? I know she's in three episodes and I plan to watch it sometime in the next two weeks.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite scenes was when Alan said:

I can fuck you better . . .

I loved her reaction because it was the same as mine 😂

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I scroll down and see "Netflix's dark..." and i get so excited for season 2.

Otherwise i plan on checking this show out tonight.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was eppy 7 that felt like a horror thing, I wish the entire show had that tone. But really love it anyway!

Groundhog Day is one of my fav things.

Gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta get home before the morning comes
What if I'm late, gotta big date, gotta get home before the sun comes up
Up and away, got a big day, sorry can't stay, I gotta run, run, yeah
Gotta get home, pick up the phone, I gotta let the people know I'm gonna be late

Apr 14, 2018
After thinking on this show some more I can't help but get some serious Donnie Darko vibes, and that is definitely playing into my theory regarding what is really going on here.

For those who don't remember/didn't see it, Donnie Darko tells the tale of it's titular character, a boy who barely avoids being crushed by a jet engine sent from the near future via wormhole that subsequently results in an unstable tangent universe set to collapse in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds (moment of jet engine's timeline hop on current timeline).

This boy is given the role of "The Living Reciever," tasked by the universe (or some 4th dimensional god / timeline police named "Frank" if we're being accurate) to correct the split by causing the wormhole that transported the jet engine, correcting the logic error and converging the timelines into a stable one, thus rolling back to the cosmic restore point — the moment of the engine crossing timelines and ultimately killing Donnie for good, something he understands must transpire to ensure stability.

The process of correcting timelines is carried out by manipulation on a cosmic scale. Even Frank turns out to be a corpse of a real person (a victim of the tangent timeline) occupied by a 4th dimensional presence. The living are similarly manipulated, be it to antagonize Donnie if he strays from his mission or subtly move into place for neat timeline convergence.

This is similar to what seems to be happening in Russian Doll imo. In the most extreme example, Maxine dances by herself in an empty apartment without a care in the world, but she's hardly the only manipulated living — just take a look at how many times other people bumping into Nadia caused her demise.

As much as I was enjoying analyzing the final shot of the season, it's the first shot of the final episode that's literally bugging me and sent my mind into Darko town — the fly shot.

At the start of the final episode we're greeted with a clever birdseye split-screen shot of Alan and Nadia's bathrooms / restore points, signifying their divergence, something we don't know at this point. The fly we always see in Alan's timeline enters a literal hole and exits into Nadia's timeline. That wasn't an ordinary hole, so I can't help but wonder how the universe would react to an anomalous fly.

Similar to how an otherwise insignificant jet engine was at the core of much of the conflict in Darko, I believe it's possible the fly has just as much or more significance as the leads.

All that said, what a good ass show this is, and if you like this show consider giving Donnie Darko a watch if you haven't if for no other reason to broaden your perspective.