• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
It was okay. Disliked the lead and the first half is really weak. Until the second mc shows up I wasnt even sure if I wanted to bother finishing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So this show seems good so far (only on the second episode) but I can't be the only one to notice that Lyonne really plays up the stereotypical Borscht Belt "Jewish mother" voice for the first ten minutes or so and then pretty much drops it, can I?

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't heard of it but saw it in the Netflix front page yesterday. As an Orange is the New Black fan, Natasha Lyons starring piqued my curiosity and I watched the trailer. I'm glad I did because it looks pretty good. Definitely going to give it a watch soon.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did I miss in episode 7? Felt like a regular episode to me? Completed the series today, don't understand a single thing of it (except for the obvious :p). It was pretty good, though, but not much explanation. I guess they want to keep some stuff for season 2.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the dialogue in the first 20 minutes indicative of the rest of the show?

Nov 1, 2017
Enjoyed it but I thought
splitting them off into two timelines
felt like a bit of a random asspull. Granted you just have to roll with the slippery logic in stories like this but it felt like they wrote themselves into a corner.

It didn't feel to me like they wrote themselves into a corner at all. It felt like that was the thing they were building to the entire time.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Loving this show, on episode 3 now. It's Groundhog's Day in the Village. I do hate how big everyone's apartments are though.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was the best series I've seen on Netflix in a while. Everyone needs to check it out.

It gets pretty dark towards the end.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, definitely a dark comedy, emphasis on the dark. On Episode 5 right now and Ruth shooting Nadia because she thought she was a burglar and the horror when she realizes what she did hit me fucking hard because I know that's a real thing that happens.

Great show, really.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I fucking loved this. The (final episode spoiler)

final shot with the symbolic convergence of both timelines was beautiful.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah i think you shouldn't really try to find the rule for all that cause it's more poetic than anything i guess, but the show is certainly charming!

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the first part until Alan showed up was almost boring. But overall I did really like the show.

In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, writer Leslye Headland described how she, Amy Poehler, and Natasha Lyonne pitched Russian Doll as a three-season series to Netflix, and the studio was immediately on board with their vision for a thoughtful, existential comedy.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/russian-dolls-natasha-lyonne-might-be-dying-for-at-leas-1832206599

I'm not sure where I'd want the story to go for a season 2 and a season 3.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh I hated that lol. I hated the little girl, nose bleeding tropey horror stuff.

That stuff was pretty cool, but that last wakeup
with the entire apartment gone and her friend dancing alone to Gotta Get Up and then very very creepily refusing to leave (almost like she was being controlled or programmed) was by far the most unsettling thing in the episode, well beyond the horror trope bleeding kid manifestation.

Fuck man, that episode was giving me the chills with what was going on -
the literal complete existential degradation of their universe and expecting it to get worse but then the beginning of the last episode throws a big curve.

ceebs

Oct 28, 2017
I went into this show blind after letting the autoplay trailer run for about 30 seconds. I ended up binge watching the whole thing Saturday night. I loved pretty much every second of this show. This is the first show to do that since season one of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Highly recommended.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not familiar Natasha Lyonne, but damn she is great.
Except all that drinking and smoking makes me nauseous.
Also loved the psychiatrist's character and performance.
Ep4 so far, probably going to finish today

Ps soundtrack is amazing

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Eh, It was alright, wasn't as into it as others seem to be. Also for an 8 episode show, it ironically felt oddly paced, as it didn't really get going IMO until Alan appeared.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Does it not strike anyone else that with the ending,

It basically confirms her worst fear that there are other timelines and in those timelines it's possible that all of their deaths and things those people just carried on? I mean there was some pretty bad things that happened and it'd be horrible to have that go through, especially when she finally worked up the courage to go to breakfast and give that book to the girl and then that happened to her or when she walked into Ruth's and Ruth mistook her for a burglar

Not familiar Natasha Lyonne, but damn she is great.
Except all that drinking and smoking makes me nauseous.
Also loved the psychiatrist's character and performance.
Ep4 so far, probably going to finish today

Ps soundtrack is amazing

You should check out Slums of Beverly Hills, But I'm a Cheerleader, the American Pie movies, and Orange is the New black, all of those are good and she is in a lead role in them (cept for American Pie where she plays more of a supporting role).

Regarding the smoking and things, she has (in real life) struggled with addictions and things, like really really badly in the early 2000's. She talked about it before:
https://ew.com/article/2012/03/30/natasha-lyonne-american-reunion-drugs/

Last edited:

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
It was good but like not that cool, a better Netflix show for sure

I liked that it had short episodes and there were only eight of them

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
So this show seems good so far (only on the second episode) but I can't be the only one to notice that Lyonne really plays up the stereotypical Borscht Belt "Jewish mother" voice for the first ten minutes or so and then pretty much drops it, can I?
She was pretty over the top most of the time.

Good show though. Best Netflix production in a while.

I don't understand the whole crazy mom link though.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Watched half of it this early morning.

If I didn't have to go to work, I'd probably binge the rest of it.

Shit, now I'm considering calling in sick.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It was quite a nice show. I don't really feel the need for a season 2 though.

I feel like it has a different episode count in different countries, people are talking it having 8 episodes? I don't remember how many it had but for me it was more then that. Around 25 minutes long episodes I think unless they varied.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Eh, It was alright, wasn't as into it as others seem to be. Also for an 8 episode show, it ironically felt oddly paced, as it didn't really get going IMO until Alan appeared.
This is where I'm at. The whole thing felt so-so. Alan was the highlight of the show for me for 2 reasons. 1) the first few episodes before he showed up felt super hipster and metaphorical to the point of boredom. Introducing Alan immediately grounded the show by a large margin

2) they do with Alan in one or two episodes what it took them 6 or 7 episodes with Nadia. As soon as we start following Alan it's pretty easy to discern his character arc. He's very uptight and anal retentive and when we see his first interaction with Bea, it's clear he's restarted multiple times with the way he interrupts her with her own thoughts and sentences. It's also clear with the way that he continually takes the engagement ring with him that he's trying to assert a level of control over the restarts to get to a point where she doesn't dump him. The viewer is able to grasp that Alan's issue is his hangup with bea. You don't even start getting the full picture of Nadia until pretty much near the end when they flesh out the backstory with her mom. She has all these character threads throughout the series that speak to her personality but take too long to paint a full picture—her relationship with her friends, with oatmeal, with John and his daughter, with Ruth, with horse.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was quite a nice show. I don't really feel the need for a season 2 though.

I feel like it has a different episode count in different countries, people are talking it having 8 episodes? I don't remember how many it had but for me it was more then that. Around 25 minutes long episodes I think unless they varied.

8 episodes with 25 minutes

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
binged the whole thing without trying on saturday. had a good time. interesting use of the concept.

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just finished episode two. Well casted and interesting premise, but the plot's meandering and I just can't seem to care about any of the characters. Not sure if I'll finish the series, but I'm genuinely surprised to see how many of y'all binged it immediately. Am I missing something?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I can't get this shit out of my head!!!

I always really liked the song, but the show definitely revived it for me. Same thing for Brandy in GotG2. I just love those upbeat, easy to sing sounding songs where the subtext of the lyrics betrays its optimistic tune. . Throw in End of Evangelion's komm susser tod too in that group among so many others. I love those types of songs.

Anyways, Gotta Get Up is now my new alarm music.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Watched the first three episodes and I'm not feeling it. I was hoping for more of a "comedy" comedy. I'm just not in the mood for this existential stuff right now. Maybe I'll come back to it sometime when I do want something like that.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Just binged the show and absolutely loved it. Alan and Nadia are great characters and I loved how dark this show got.
Alan realizing how he died the first time broke my heart

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Who else thought:

That when Alan said he didn't know how he died the first time around, I thought that he was murdered.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I'm not sure it was "dark comedy," but it was really enjoyable. I totally inhaled it this weekend and enjoyed the ride like hell.

It's more of like a thriller with comedy elements? I dunno. I like that it's genre-androgynous. :)

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I really love ep 7's transition into a horror show.
Nadia slowly walking through the empty apartment and finding Maxine dancing by herself was very unsettling.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This was a very good show and I look forward to more! I would give it like a solid 8.5/10; I think it's primarily the length of the episodes that make it good - if each episode was 50+ minutes, this would be fairly tedious to watch through, but the brisk pace of the show keeps it from never going past the point of being unwelcome

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Don't go in expecting a "comedy". Once I started viewing it more as a drama-thriller with comedic elements I enjoyed it more .