• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was really good, though I'm still a little unclear on just what caused the loop and the mother/daughter/ghost appearance. Some well-directed episodes, though I have to admit I also got a little grossed out by all the smoking.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I really love ep 7's transition into a horror show.
Nadia slowly walking through the empty apartment and finding Maxine dancing by herself was very unsettling.

Yeah, that was my favorite bit of the episode.
It really sold the idea that this universe is literally dying. And then you have this song echoing in this big ass empty apartment and her friend seemingly being controlled...fuckin A.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think this will end up being my favorite show of the year unless something else REALLY amazing comes out this year. What an excellent miniseries. Really really connected with this one.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the whole thing tonight without meaning to. I haven't seen a lot of Netflix originals but this is definitely the best.

It's a really sweet and heartfelt show that goes a lot of places (hello episode 7) and pulls zero punches. The deaths alone go in directions I wasn't expecting.
Alan's first death is an obvious one, but Nadia's death with Horse and the other one with Ruth were pretty devastating too. Meanwhile, Nadia's deaths outside the drug dealer's bar were hilarious.
I think there might actually be three timelines somehow? The parade scene at the very end has TWO red-haired women walk past Nadia, who isn't wearing the grey jacket that the other two are.
That said, they expect two more seasons? How on earth?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a lot of questions I have that I feel like a season 2 would ruin by answering badly but I really loved these characters

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
just finished it and man, that was rad.

that last shot of the two timelines converging in the tunnel and the nadias walking past themselves was magic.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The first episode had some loghorrea, but it gets better and better.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. WOW. I am on ep8, and after 7 I had to literally stop binging and take a smoke break. I didn't expect this show to have these feels. It's SO good. Out of nowhere. Amazing performances, especially from Natasha. Time to see how this wraps up.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last episode was hard to get through emotionally. What a great show. Nadia's style is so fucking on point.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Natasha Lyonne is really amazing in this, the music is amazing, cinematography is good. My fav Netflix original this year at least.

I had no idea Poehler could write this sort of stuff this well.

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
It's 3 am and im not mad i binged that show. Wonder how more seasons would go.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night , loved it, but gosh couldn't help but laugh that the representation of game design was just a default green man running on a grid. Then the meeting where "the code didn't work" because he was still and then making him run again. Lol what in the world

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
just finished it and man, that was rad.

that last shot of the two timelines converging in the tunnel and the nadias walking past themselves was magic.
Fuck yes it was.
I don't see how they can make a sequel without changing the protagonists. I feel like their stories are complete.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Saw a little buzz about this and was like whatever. Ended up bored last night and decided to try an episode - Eight Episodes Later. Was really blown away at how great this was. I love fuckery like this. Was maybe a mistake to watch the full thing right before bed as this really messed with my dreams. That damn song kept invading all my dreams and I also had a dream about an intro that was like Buffy the Vampire Slayer except replaced with this cast.

In one of my dreams for this there was a 2nd pair of individuals who for some reason needed Nadia and Alan to die so the timeline could keep being reset. So they were setting up all the accidents that got them killed. Like the open delivery chutes, the light pole with exposed wires, the air unit that fell off the building, the gas explosion at Ruth's, the taxi, etc.

I woke up and was like - that makes sense. So maybe next season we'd follow their story of why they need to do this with Nadia/Alan in the background dying due to their actions.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Watched it start-to-finish a coupe of days ago in a single sitting. I loved it.

I ESPECIALLY loved

the little tender moments that both Nadia and Alan had in their respective timelines in Episode 8. Nadia with the guy that urged her to quit smoking at Alan's place and Alan with Nadia's friend at the party that he relayed the apology about the mastif adoption to. Those two moments were perhaps my favorite in the entire show and really displayed how each character had grown.

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yes it was.
I don't see how they can make a sequel without changing the protagonists. I feel like their stories are complete.

There was a piece of me that thought maybe some of the consequences from alternate universes would start fucking with their timeline
(especially with the fly making its way into Nadia's respawn,
but I'm not sure to what end since they 'learned' and changed as people.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it start-to-finish a coupe of days ago in a single sitting. I loved it.

I ESPECIALLY loved

the little tender moments that both Nadia and Alan had in their respective timelines in Episode 8. Nadia with the guy that urged her to quit smoking at Alan's place and Alan with Nadia's friend at the party that he relayed the apology about the mastif adoption to. Those two moments were perhaps my favorite in the entire show and really displayed how each character had grown.

Was the guy that urged her to stop smoking, Paulie from Rocky?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
There was a piece of me that thought maybe some of the consequences from alternate universes would start fucking with their timeline
(especially with the fly making its way into Nadia's respawn,
but I'm not sure to what end since they 'learned' and changed as people.

One thing I remember being genuinely afraid of as the episode progressed:
what if only one of them succeeded at saving the other one, but the other half of the pair failed?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
How did Nadia and Alan know, or think that they were heading towards their final deaths? I can't remember anything indicating this (unless people and objects disappearing, was what led them to this conclusion. The progressive degredation. Also, was it just the fact that they both initially died at the same time, that caused time to reset?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
How did Nadia and Alan know, or think that they were heading towards their final deaths? I can't remember anything indicating this (unless people and objects disappearing, was what led them to this conclusion. The progressive degredation. Also, was it just the fact that they both initially died at the same time, that caused time to reset?

People/things going missing, plus Nadia dying every time she saw her younger self, I think. It felt like the universe was crumbling, and also that the end of each loop was coming sooner/was more erratic.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I thought this was really good, though I'm still a little unclear on just what caused the loop and the mother/daughter/ghost appearance. Some well-directed episodes, though I have to admit I also got a little grossed out by all the smoking.

Neither was I, but I don't think you're supposed to read THAT much into what sort of issues Nadia's mom had (I'll admit that's a bit underwhleming underwhelming if true; but this story isn't about Lenore, it's about Nadia).

Throughout moments of the show, you can tell Nadia is still pretty messed up by the whole ordeal with her mom, the crux of her story is the long-standing guilt that's been eating at her and largely how it makes her the way she is.

Still. What a wake-up call. The mirrors in Nadia's house were destroyed, yet Nadia 'wakes up' always looking at one. Her mum was also Nadia's age when she died, and she keeps reliving her birthday (and dying on it). She wears that necklace, seemingly, all the time, freaks out when people call her "crazy", and seems to have pretty big trust/abandonement issues. Without confronting her grief and working with it, the looped universe was slowly eating itself around her.

Why did this happen to Bill Murray in groundhog Day? Surely there's a Hitler out there somewhere far worse. :P
Or why did it choose these two kids in the anime "Your Name"? The answer that SOME DIVINE FORCE CHOSE THEM FROM THE DAWN OF TIME is.... bah.
Who knows, maybe the universe was just sending a shout-out to her and another very troubled soul (Alan), and two individuals got wrapped up in it, and in them finding a way to save each other and themselves, they also managed to make other people's lives directly better (exactly like how people wanted to help them).

When Nadia "figured it out" and made peace with what was "kiiling her from the inside", the loop went back to normal. The whole thing was indeed magic (which I think you need a bit of, since nobody else noticed the world was 'rotting' around them, or how people were missing, so none of it's actually REAL beyond "what was learned"), but now no part of either the baggage that Nadia (and Alan) had was holding them back. The restart was to learn from the loops, and no longer letting the past hold you back, and then doing the right things the day you are no longer trapped – literally and metaphorically.

If Bill Murray's Groundhog Day cycle was about being nice (to perfection almost); this was more simply about moving on.

A number of times characters are eager to help Nadia, and in that, it's also about working together with people (the final 'way out', when everything was normal by the last episode, had Alan and Nadia using information they learned in the loop to save them from pretty certain death – most impressively in opposing dimensions where they didn't have any knowledge of each other). We get so caught up in our own issues, but others suffer and have suffered too; in life it's important to help each other out, no one can do things better on their own.

...and really the smoking is your hang up? I hate smoking as much as the next person, but if I'm not around it I don't dock a show points for it. :P

One thing I remember being genuinely afraid of as the episode progressed:
what if only one of them succeeded at saving the other one, but the other half of the pair failed?

Huh? They saved each other, no?
One from the roof, the other from the car in universe's where they swapped who-knew-who. The timelines have them live and 'converge'.

And I guess the whole final-episode climax was to ensure they wouldn't fail, and why they behave pretty erratic to find the other to spare the other from a dead-end.

Indeed, if they failed then, well, they failed. But to "rewrite the bad code" they just had to fix the first big issue ––– their first deaths/

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
They did save each other! I was dreading the possibility that one of them might not. The end of the episode was a relief.
Oh, also, about your comment that people letting other people help them was a theme:
I was a big fan of Maxine guiding Nadia down the stairs in the last episode. Like, she has no idea why Nadia's freaked out, and it all seems maybe a little silly to her, but all that matters is that Nadia really needs the help and she's in a position to give it to her. And Nadia's learned enough by this point to just let her. It's a small touch but it was really sweet.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
So, I just finished watching all 8 episodes the past couple of days. Wow. That was a great mini-series! I'm sure a season 2 (and 3) would be nice since apparently that's what the creators pitched, but the way it ended in episode 8 was perfect with me. I'm still really confused with the finale but I might be thinking too much into it. I am definitely recommending this to my friends though. Wow.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to hear this will be getting more seasons, is it going to be an anthology series?

More than the time loop part being resolved, the characters feel like they have too. They're not "fixed" and that's fine because no one is but I don't see how they could continue with the same cast.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm surprised to hear this will be getting more seasons, is it going to be an anthology series?

More than the time loop part being resolved, the characters feel like they have too. They're not "fixed" and that's fine because no one is but I don't see how they could continue with the same cast.

I felt John (Nadia's sorta-other bachelor, with the daughter) was sorta sidelined. If the theme for the story is about moving on, then it's clear he's still got hang-ups.

But still, he's not really a main. I'm curious where the story could go. :S

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I felt John (Nadia's sorta-other bachelor, with the daughter) was sorta sidelined. If the theme for the story is about moving on, then it's clear he's still got hang-ups.

But still, he's not really a main. I'm curious where the story could go. :S

He was but there was a timeline where he managed to break free and Nadia knows how to get him there again.

Most of the side characters are in that state really but I don't know if I really want a season of clean up (and fucking that up).

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Finished it last night , loved it, but gosh couldn't help but laugh that the representation of game design was just a default green man running on a grid. Then the meeting where "the code didn't work" because he was still and then making him run again. Lol what in the world

I mean its Hollywood. At least she was typing in a shell...

Also. No more seasons.

More projects yes. This ended perfectly. It was very well done. And allowed the audience to imagine. End on a high note..

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it on my days off with the wife. This thing is fantastic. The last two episodes really hit some high notes on tension. Count me in on anything these people make next.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feel really bad for the main characters when

they both realized that the other person didn't know who they were and they must have been in different timelines? After everything they had gone through together and then suddently he other person no longer knows who they are and they were basically alone again. I just found it heartbreaking, but at the same time they both realized that no matter what they had to save the other person which showed so much growth for both of them.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
At least they caught it in prototyping.. this is a shipped game lol

Anyone else feel really bad for the main characters when

they both realized that the other person didn't know who they were and they must have been in different timelines? After everything they had gone through together and then suddently he other person no longer knows who they are and they were basically alone again. I just found it heartbreaking, but at the same time they both realized that no matter what they had to save the other person which showed so much growth for both of them.

Yeah that was really well done. You could see the characters' growth in the final episode clearly from where they started

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I watched the first episode and I didn't really have any urge to watch more after that. It didn't make me laugh and the characters/plot didn't do much for me.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its Hollywood. At least she was typing in a shell...

Also. No more seasons.

More projects yes. This ended perfectly. It was very well done. And allowed the audience to imagine. End on a high note..
I agree, don't want more seasons, at least with the same characters. Maybe there's some other take on the formula that is just as interesting or something. But I'd love to see the creative team work on something different.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Like damn this was good. Took me by surprise.

Now I'll be listening to Gotta Get Up nonstop for months. Entire soundtrack choices were great. Anecdotally when I played the track on youtube the pre-ad was an old, old 4:3 Geico commercial with a pig. That just made me laugh and had to share.

Awesome visuals too. As the episodes went on my jaw dropped more and more. I loved how Lyonne's hair always stood out from the rest of the colors. This show is a low key hdr treat.