• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Like damn this was good. Took me by surprise.

Now I'll be listening to Gotta Get Up nonstop for months. Entire soundtrack choices were great. Anecdotally when I played the track on youtube the pre-ad was an old, old 4:3 Geico commercial with a pig. That just made me laugh and had to share.

Awesome visuals too. As the episodes went on my jaw dropped more and more. I loved how Lyonne's hair always stood out from the rest of the colors. This show is a low key hdr treat.
That was one of the first things that struck me about the show. The HDR implementation and color grading in this show was AMAZING. Whoever was responsible for it should get hired on WAAAY MORE projects. Wish more films had this quality implementation of HDR. So many movies have such a conservative HDR master.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feel really bad for the main characters when

they both realized that the other person didn't know who they were and they must have been in different timelines? After everything they had gone through together and then suddently he other person no longer knows who they are and they were basically alone again. I just found it heartbreaking, but at the same time they both realized that no matter what they had to save the other person which showed so much growth for both of them.

I didn't. When they both realised, they also knew that they were in the endgame, and almost home. Of course, there wasn't anything to show that they would remember each other afterwards, but it's possible that they were both happy to forget each other, if it meant saving each others lives. The closest you can get to making a life changing sacrifice, in the context of the show.

The act that stood out to me, in relation to Nadia, was that even though she knew that time would reset, every time it did, she phoned 911, and let them know about the gas leak in Ruth's house. How many people would bother with something that "inconsequential" (in the context that time will reset and saving Ruth doesn't actually matter, as she will be alive anyway) ?

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
colleagues won't shut up about this, next thing you know I binged the whole series. great stuff, but I hear sex education is another big standout so that is on my list.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
That moment when
she kept falling down the stairs
in episode 2 had me howling!

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Netflix calls it "season 1", but are they really planning on doing more? The story arc seemed pretty self-contained.

As a matter of fact I kinda wonder why they didn't make it into a movie instead.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I watched this over a few days and I loved it, Alan's story and realisation when he was talking to Bea that he needed help really hit me hard. The way everything twisted further and further, the way they made something like an empty room uncomfortable was just fantastic.

I genuinely hope Netflix never makes another season again. It's a brilliant one and done story, the drama of how they came to their solution was brilliant but having that as a thematic hook of multiple seasons probably wouldn't work for me.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Just finished this last night. It was a fun show, not amazing, but for way better when Alan was introduced. I wish it went a bit further with the lore, but it was fine.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Amazing ending!

I'll admit - with all the video game references in there, I was expecting something like "She's trapped in a VR mystery game with no memory! If she misses a section, she dies and starts the level again! Oh look, Player 2 has joined!" Glad I was wrong. I'm not sure where they can go after this, but I'm keen for a Season 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the ending but

I didn't catch at first that the outfits changed after they went through the tunnel becuase the time lines converged.

Happy the wife pointed that out

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't catch at first that the outfits changed after they went through the tunnel becuase the time lines converged.

Yeah the red handkerchief on Alan and the white blouse on Nadia were intentional visual indicators. Very clever.

I still don't understand why we see two alt-Nadias walking past Nadia-A after the merge.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the red handkerchief on Alan and the white blouse on Nadia were intentional visual indicators. Very clever.

I still don't understand why we see two alt-Nadias walking past Nadia-A after the merge.

we see nadia-saved-alan and alan-saved-nadia walking past the nadia who experienced the multiple timelines. i believe alan is in his save-nadia clothes too. i think it is an artful way to signify the two timelines merging into one.

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly baffled by people who want more explanation of how/why the loop is happening. Literally no way to do it without it being something super lame.

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just watched first episode, and it's bugging me... I've seen a game with this in a background. Damn memory!!!
4ikfity.jpg

It's eating at my head. I initially thought it was FF7, but it may be some old game we forgot he he

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Started it over the weekend and finished it last night, and wow. One of the best Netflix shows in the last couple of years, and if it weren't for Sex Education, the best this year, although they're tied now, according to ME.

I was very hesitant about it because I just saw it as a spinoff of OITNB about Nicki (not that I actually thought it was one, just that it likely was going to be promoted as such). But was pleasantly surprised as a kept watching the first episode and was convinced to finish by the end of it.

It kept surprising me every episode and was glad by the ending. I suffer a lot from anxiety, especially existential anxiety, so this wasn't an easy watch, but Alan's story really got to me, as an early 30s Millennial who is afraid of taking chances.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

This sounds like a really loopy theory at first, but it turns out also maybe likely correct?

EDIT: This Vulture interview with Leslye Headland appears to be where the creators first learn about the Tompkins Square theory.

This hadn't occurred to me as an explanation for that weirdness. I like it!

Last edited:

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Really fun show. The music supervisor is extremely on my wavelength... John Maus, Light Asylum, Cults -- the indie rock hits of 2011. Good shit!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Really fun show. The music supervisor is extremely on my wavelength... John Maus, Light Asylum, Cults -- the indie rock hits of 2011. Good shit!

Someone made a fantastic music video once for Cults' "Do You Know What I Mean" and ever since I've been waiting for it to show up in the soundtrack to a show or movie.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really enjoyed it, but I feel satisfied by the story and don't need another season.

See also: Westworld S1, Stranger Things S1.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked this a lot. Possibly my second favourite show of the last five years and I really hope that if there has to be more that it is not with the same premise.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Just binged this all on a whim last night. Loved it entirely. What a ride.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the first episode to try it out, ended up watching 3, desperate to watch more.
I love love love the quirky style and the acting, and the music and concept and just everything.

The ending of episode 3 or 4 (can't remember!) In the elevator really was a great moment, unfortunately I had watched a trailer earlier (the only trailer I had seen) which showed
the guy was also in a death loop
So that lessened the impact slightly, if I hadn't seen that it would have been even better

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I was really liking the show, but wow, after the ending of Episode 3 I had to binge to the end. I absolutely loved it. It was surprisingly emotional and touching, and the existential horror build across the season was great. I feel that it had the perfect ending, so I'm surprised there potentially could be two more seasons - but I suppose there can be multiple ways to read the finale.
I had assumed the timelines merged due to Nadia and Alan's clothing corresponding to the version of the character that still had their memory. I guess the timelines could be still separated, or fixed. I also felt like there was something odd going on with Maxine's character, so I can understand the theories that maybe she's in her own loop.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the stuff I've read lately (especially this Vulture interview) suggest that while the creators pitched three seasons to Netflix, it doesn't necessarily mean that's what would happen now even if Netflix gave them carte blanche. It sounds like the show has evolved significantly from the initial pitch and that the original plan may not apply anymore.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You know a show's great when you watch the first episode at 11pm and decide to stay up until you finish it. One of Netflix's best. The lead actress is SO fucking amazing.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Watched the whole show over a couple days. Found it outstanding. The characters are a goddamned delight. So vividly drawn and acerbically funny.

I love the style, love the humor, love the mystery, surrealism, humanity, irony, tenderness, and insight. I can't say enough good things about the cast. 10/10 for sure. A gem.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm irrationally angry at episode 4.

Why would you have him holding a ps3 controller while using current gen footage #_#

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it for myself. I don't know if it's one of those shows that you tell others "OMG, you have to see this". I'm fine keeping it to myself.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm irrationally angry at episode 4.

Why would you have him holding a ps3 controller while using current gen footage #_#
If you're gonna license that footage, get the sound too. It was making pinball noises for Christ's sake! lmao

Fucking amazing show, though. Loved pretty much every second of it, and the musical choices were on point. Ending got me teary-eyed, too.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna license that footage, get the sound too. It was making pinball noises for Christ's sake! lmao
I was way to distracted by the controller to even pay attention to the game lol.
At least he wasn't playing co op with another person while only a single character was being controlled on screen.
I need to finish watching the show at some point. I actually haven't had time to continue past ep 4 yet lol.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I was way to distracted by the controller to even pay attention to the game lol.
At least he wasn't playing co op with another person while only a single character was being controlled on screen.
I need to finish watching the show at some point. I actually haven't had time to continue past ep 4 yet lol.
Well there's some other game footage that is extremely "fake game made for tv" so you have that to look forward to. Watch the rest, it's fantastic!

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I have one question

Who keeps breaking into Ruth's home to make her feel like she has someone breaking in all the time??

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I have one question

Who keeps breaking into Ruth's home to make her feel like she has someone breaking in all the time??
It wasn't that she was actually getting broken into, just that she heard news of a string of robberies in her area, so she wanted to make sure the door was locked every time Nadia came in.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Natasha Lyonne is batshit insane in real life (the Michael Rapaport story comes to mind), so she was absolutely perfect for this role. I love her thick NYC accent.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
My feelings on this show are that it should have been an hour to an hour and a half movie instead of a short series.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
My feelings on this show are that it should have been an hour to an hour and a half movie instead of a short series.
Agreed, although to be fair for a series it's pretty short (total of 4 hours or so). When I think back on it, it doesn't seem as though there was a whole series worth of plot to it, I agree. Saying it should have been just an hour is kinda ridiculous though.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, an hour might be too short, but I do very much think it could have been feature length.

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Really liked it, Natadha is amazing, no idea how they make another season (apparently they pitched it as 3 seasons to Netflix)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Finished watching this with my SO a couple days back, we loved it. Alan's first episode was the only thing remotely close to a low point; compared to the utterly mesmerizing Nadia, he's pretty dull, so having an episode devoted to him after a couple episodes of her sparkling performance feels like such an abrupt downwards shift. Once they start interacting and you realize he's her perfect foil precisely because he's the "straight man", everything falls into place again.

You're right, an hour might be too short, but I do very much think it could have been feature length.

Ehh... I feel this is unfair. After the first couple of episodes which feel admittedly a bit purposeless, there's not a second of wasted footage: everything from then on is meaningful to the story. I can't think of anything that could be cut without being detrimental to the whole; even those first few episodes' seemingly irrelevant repetition and aimless quests are necessary to estabilish the setting, and lull the viewer into the rhythm of a conventional Groundhog Loop story so the show is able to pull the rug under them later. "Feature length" implies cutting the running time in half and I can't imagine how one could do that without mutilating the story beyond all recognition.