• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This show is insufferable at first, but then you get to eps 4 and it finally got interesting. Should've trimmed the first 3 into 1 and a half eps or something.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any explanation for
the two Nadias walking past the merged Nadia in the final shot of Ep8? Or is it just meant as a teaser for things to come?

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the Vulture article with one of the co-creators and I didnt know her first writing job was for the FX show Terriers. Man, I freaking loved that show. It still makes me sad when i think about it which is why it caught me off guard that the writer of the article brought it up. Just an interesting coincidence and I'm glad people from that show are finding success.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I found the ending a little weak (may need to rewatch) I kinda loved this

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

me before 2019: happy birthday

me in 2019: SWEET BIRTHDAY BABYYYYYYYYYYYY

Much like the Harry Nilsson song, this shit is locked into my head now.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I really liked it - the premise was interesting enough to get me to start watching but I enjoyed the hell out of the experience.

Also thought that it looked fantastic, even on my older TV.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a couple of episodes to get into the show - I got really annoyed with the

cigarette/ketamine sub-plot that went nowhere

Regardless, the show picks up considerably and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took me a couple of episodes to get into the show - I got really annoyed with the

cigarette/ketamine sub-plot that went nowhere

I think it's fine to complain that the show takes a little too long to start really progressing, but at the same time it seems pretty clear that the supernatural circumstances of the show aren't related to Nadia smoking a laced joint. I'm not sure why you would expect that subplot to have any payoff.

AkuMifune

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading the Vulture article with one of the co-creators and I didnt know her first writing job was for the FX show Terriers. Man, I freaking loved that show. It still makes me sad when i think about it which is why it caught me off guard that the writer of the article brought it up. Just an interesting coincidence and I'm glad people from that show are finding success.

I was just thinking about Terriers today. Added it to my favorites list on TV Time and wondered of anyone even knew what that was anymore.

Along with Quarry, my favorite show no one knows.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine to complain that the show takes a little too long to start really progressing, but at the same time it seems pretty clear that the supernatural circumstances of the show aren't related to Nadia smoking a laced joint. I'm not sure why you would expect that subplot to have any payoff.
I knew that it wasn't related to the joint and I wasn't expecting a payoff, which is why I just didn't like the amount of screen-time that plot thread received. Just felt too much like filler - I'm aware that Nadia couldn't just assume the circumstances were supernatural from the get-go, but I feel like it could have been handled better.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I was on the verge of crying towards the end as well.

Just like with the Groundhog Day, there are some dark moments, but eventually you get a nice, emotional payoff that's uplifting.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That last episode made me tear up. And holy shit at them using two John Maus songs.

Just finished last night and had a long cry starting at that last shot.

Really incredible work. I hope this gets the traction it deserves; it's so flawlessly executed right up until the ending, which I was so scared they wouldn't be able to capitalize on the previous 8 episodes with and wrap things up in a satisfying way, but they absolutely did. The ending is perfect. Such a good show.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Great show. Was hooked through and through. Great performances from the entire cast, interesting story, thoughtful themes, and lots of intrigue.

10/10

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
My wife and I just finished binging this and I am gobsmacked about how good it is. Give them all the Emmys. ALL OF THEM.
I need to watch it again.

I think the moment where the show went through the roof for me was
Natasha's acting when she thought that in each timeline there would be people who were affected by/mourning her and it tore her apart.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished last night and had a long cry starting at that last shot.

Really incredible work. I hope this gets the traction it deserves; it's so flawlessly executed right up until the ending, which I was so scared they wouldn't be able to capitalize on the previous 8 episodes with and wrap things up in a satisfying way, but they absolutely did. The ending is perfect. Such a good show.
Really? I thought the ending was pretty weak. Im good with the outcome I just think they got there in a way that didnt do service to the prior episodes.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Has this not been renewed for a second season yet? Wonder when Netflix will announce it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this with the GF and we absolutely loved it, right from the very beginning and all the way to the end. Just fantastic.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Does it get better after the first episode? Because that was kind of a wet fart of an ending and the deaths were pretty cliche.

edit: sorry, saw this was answered above.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
What an interesting weird show .. binged it with the Mrs and we both enjoyed it quite a lot.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this show is fuckin with me. Loved it but made the "mistake" of watching it high and I think I've been in an existential funk since lol.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think this show is fuckin with me. Loved it but made the "mistake" of watching it high and I think I've been in an existential funk since lol.

I saw this trailer high on Netflix itself after I had already finished the series and laughed at how good it was. Repeats the Netflix logo intro every time lol

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I finished the last two episodes last night. I really liked it, not sure I loved the finale but I we'll see where they go for season 2.

Obviously a little sad that they are technically split up right now.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the last two episodes last night. I really liked it, not sure I loved the finale but I we'll see where they go for season 2.

Obviously a little sad that they are technically split up right now.
Whether explicit or metaphorical, after the merging shot their two outfits in the final shot correlate to the "aware" versions of the two characters: Nadia with the white frilly thing, and Alan with the red scarf (also note the colour around their necks representing the other's sparse apartment/hair respectively).

01-russian-doll-finale-secondary.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg

russian_doll_theories_4-720x374.png

Are they still in two universes or have they actually merged? It really doesn't matter, either way they're there for each other now :)

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL one thing I noticed on 2nd watch is that Nadia's stepmom has 4 pictures with her partners over the years and their ashes next to each photo.

I saw this trailer high on Netflix itself after I had already finished the series and laughed at how good it was. Repeats the Netflix logo intro every time lol

Good trailer though I'm glad I didn't see it before the show. I really enjoyed the red elevator scene, it shouldn't have been in the trailer.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As someone with ...nutty-mother drama, the second last episode hit me like a brick wall.

It's true though, it's weirdly difficult letting go of bad baggage, and the stuff early on can really impact you long-term.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was really good. My gf and I liked it a lot but I don't really need a second season. Instead give me more from the show runners!