GK86

Oct 25, 2017

"You never know when your life is going to change." After a brutal virus wipes out most of the population, two young siblings embark on a perilous search for safety. The Rain, a Netflix original series. Streaming May 4.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
While it looks like good concept, I'm not into shows that aren't in english. I guess I'm just one of those... lol

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
People not watching shows because of subtitles?

Are you the types who keep looking at your phone during TV shows? :p

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I love plagues that only spare the young and attractive while everyone was dying they must have all been underground in bunkers working out.

This does look interesting but I hate how everyone in apocalypse tv shows is totally jacked.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This looks incredibly boring and generic. Hell, Contagion came out in 2011. I laughed out loud when the handsome leader guy's face was revealed because I knew he'd be a love interest, and I was right. The heroine's setup with her brother is also a stock YA motivation.

Also, I imagine there will be some incredibly glaring BS regarding the science of the pandemic.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me a lot of Dark, but the premise isn't as interesting. Hope this is good.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
One of the brothers is going to die right :(

KarmaCow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People not watching shows because of subtitles?

Are you the types who keep looking at your phone during TV shows? :p

It means staring at the bottom quarter of the screen the entire time instead of the other three quarters that has things like people's faces. I can get why that would undermine the movie/show for people, especially in the case of this show where it looks pretty unremarkable and would rather watch something else.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a "The Man on Earth" joke it looks like "A Dry Place" without the monsters.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
This looks incredibly boring and generic. Hell, Contagion came out in 2011. I laughed out loud when the handsome leader guy's face was revealed because I knew he'd be a love interest, and I was right. The heroine's setup with her brother is also a stock YA motivation.

Also, I imagine there will be some incredibly glaring BS regarding the science of the pandemic.

I adore Contagion but that was an anomalous film very devoted to the science of outbreaks and it's hardly the first bit of pandemic fiction (as my MA thesis attests).

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely got some 'Dark' vibes from this which intrigued me from the start. Curious to hear what anyone thinks. I will add this to my list and hopefully check out a couple episodes this weekend.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And? Anyone watched some episodes?
Trailer looked decent, reviews are decent...probably going to give this a go now.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
And? Anyone watched some episodes?
Trailer looked decent, reviews are decent...probably going to give this a go now.

I watched maybe 30 mins or so and fell asleep, not because it's boring, but because every time I watch the telly in bed, I end up falling asleep regardless of the time of day :(

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched maybe 30 mins or so and fell asleep, not because it's boring, but because every time I watch the telly in bed, I end up falling asleep regardless of the time of day :(
I could binge-watch a whole season in bed if I wanted to. :P

Probably not happening with this show though. We'll see.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
You should be able to read the subtitles and watch the action at the same time.
Unless you read everything slowly word by word.

this, or sitting way too close to a too big screen. I've never understood the hate, also because it makes you look like you just don't care about other languages, cultures and "foreign" cinema.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It means staring at the bottom quarter of the screen the entire time instead of the other three quarters that has things like people's faces. I can get why that would undermine the movie/show for people, especially in the case of this show where it looks pretty unremarkable and would rather watch something else.
Speaking generally and not about this project, I disagree with this line of reasoning. You'll look at the subtitles for one second while the rest of the shot can be paid attention to. It's just a skill you get used to. You will have enough time to appreciate the faces, acting, cinematography especially if the film is great. There are so many stunning foreign films that would be missed by someone who is so steadfast against subtitles.

KarmaCow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to read the subtitles and watch the action at the same time.
Unless you read everything slowly word by word.

Staring was too extreme but it's impossible to focus on the entire screen. There's an art to framing a shot and subtitles can diminish that, especially when they're just added in after the fact.

Speaking generally and not about this project, I disagree with this line of reasoning. You'll look at the subtitles for one second while the rest of the shot can be paid attention to. It's just a skill you get used to. You will have enough time to appreciate the faces, acting, cinematography especially if the film is great. There are so many stunning foreign films that would be missed by someone who is so steadfast against subtitles.

Of course it's not completely ruinous, it's just a factor that its impact will vary depending on the show/movie or whatever.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my God, first 10 minutes and I'm already itching to end it for good lol
I hate intentionally dumb characters so much...

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Watched a couple eps, it scratches that post apocalypse itch, with shady science corporation on the side.

Using flashbacks and relationships to touch on humanity during the chaos. enjoying it so far

not as visually riveting or compelling as Dark, but seems decent

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched a couple eps, it scratches that post apocalypse itch, with shady science corporation on the side.

Using flashbacks and relationships to touch on humanity during the chaos. enjoying it so far

not as visually riveting or compelling as Dark, but seems decent
Yep, pretty much. Watched 3 episodes and I'd call it decent too.

Pilot is pretty bad though. Skipped through most of it.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
the sister and brother act so intentionally stupid or overly hot/cold emotionally, it's really annoying at times when you should be invested in wanting them to survive lol

The pilots first half is pretty bad but its seemingly getting better story wise as it goes on... the brother and sister still suck though x(

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
I love plagues that only spare the young and attractive while everyone was dying they must have all been underground in bunkers working out.

This does look interesting but I hate how everyone in apocalypse tv shows is totally jacked.
This so much, it instantly rips me out of the experience. This has been the plague of Young Adult entertainment since forever.

the sister and brother act so intentionally stupid or overly hot/cold emotionally, it's really annoying at times when you should be invested in wanting them to survive lol

The pilots first half is pretty bad but its seemingly getting better story wise as it goes on... the brother and sister still suck though x(
Intentionally stupid characters are the worst, I hope you are exaggerating, since I was really looking forward to this.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only seen the pilot episode so far. The kid was such a terrible actor, I'm glad they
made the 5 year time jump right away

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Watching the first episode and yeah...it's the common theme that kids are a liability in the apocalypse.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this sort of off to the side. It starts kind of awkwardly but I'm getting into. The sort of 'pre-apocalypse' scenes are kind of cheesy and awkward but it gets going. The acting is good and the english translation seems good

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the whole season and I'd say it's solid. What I most liked about it are the backstories of the characters and their decisions based on their morals.
The cast wasn't good by any definition of the word, but they got the job done. The good ideas this show had were unfortunately mostly overshadowed by various very common themes for post-apocalyptic shows to the point of sacrificing a whole episode for one of those. One I'm sick of tbh.

Yeah, solid 6.5/10. Pilot and Final dragged it down for me.

I have to say though that I like this international effort from Netflix. They will also have Middle-Eastern shows this year and I'm very eager to see what they bring to the table.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
I hate these kids already in the pilot. Sign me up for more The 100 or anything else with less dumb characters, please.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on EP 6 or 7, some of these people man, yikes.

Sometimes there is no sense of urgency, and sometimes it's just really stupid reasons to do something.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I wish this show wasn't so over produced. Especially dial back the soundtrack and awful color grading.