• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Numbers are since 2017:

Meat substitutes: +51%
Beef, pork, game meat: -9%
Chicken: +2% since 2017, but -0.4% in the past six months

Also, vegetarian options have risen by 33 percent since 2016 to over 100 different products at the two biggest super markets

Some perspective though: even if the meat market contracted, total revenue of the meat industry is still 2.6 billion euros here, of which 123 million was spent on meat substitutes, only 4.5 percents.

Dutch article: https://nos.nl/artikel/2297492-vleesvervangers-bezig-met-snelle-opmars-verkoop-vlees-daalt.html
Google translation: https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=nl&tl=en&text=https://nos.nl/artikel/2297492-vleesvervangers-bezig-met-snelle-opmars-verkoop-vlees-daalt.html

Great news imo and according to the article, the meat industry is getting a bit worried and some of them are even starting to get into meat substitutes themselves. Personally I've noticed a lot of new products and improved products popping up left and right, it's never been easier to be a vegetarian.

As I said in some earlier threads: this is why our actions do matter by letting our money talk. The government didn't do this, the government won't do this, but every dollar spent on a meat replacement instead of on actual meat hurts this industry and will make those companies change even if they don't want to.

Let's hope this'll turn into a snowball effect with meat replacements getting cheaper and meat getting more expensive simply through a change in demand.

Last edited:

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Hell yeah NL! I love living here, the food is pretty great and the Dutch are pretty health conscious. Also I met Mark Post who makes lab grown beef at Mosa Meat

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
Yes. News like this truly makes me happy. Lets get that -9 towards -50-60%, and that will mean tens of millions of less needlessly suffering and tortured animals each year.

KeinPlanB

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2019
This should go through the roof worldwide at some not so far point in time.

Once there is a worldwide rollout of affordable meat alternatives I will probably bite. Right now the huge hype alternatives are not available here in Germany and a vegan steak is like 3x the price of a real one (which is insane).

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Can attend to this. A load of collegues put meat subsites on bread/crackers from brands like the Vegetarian Butcher.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Give it a few hundred years and almost everyone will eat food grown in the lab and wonder why people used to kill animals.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
woop, doing my part. Stopped from eating meat basically 7 days a week to around 2 or 3 days max (and when we do, we usually get it from the local butcher instead of the supermarket stuff).

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Hell yeah NL! I love living here, the food is pretty great and the Dutch are pretty health conscious. Also I met Mark Post who makes lab grown beef at Mosa Meat

Did not know they were developing a commercial product yet. Thats super cool.

I'm eating less meat every year. The substitues are getting there, and there's nothing wrong with a meatless salad.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
What do these replacement meat products taste like? And what texture are they?

Most of the chicken substitues taste pretty "unique", but there are loads of products available that either have their own great flavor ( vegetable patties, veggie cordon blue) or taste pretty close to a well seasoned pattie (like the beyond meat burger). Texture is great with that one, close to meat, not too most or dry. A lot of umami. The plain chicken replacements I'm not a big fan of. Too salty, very chewy, and kind of a fish sauce taste to me.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Give it a few hundred years and almost everyone will eat food grown in the lab and wonder why people used to kill animals.

Idk. I Doubt it. Have you seen how many commercials, brands, labels, blogs, youtubers, and celebrities are all reinforcing and blasting a counter culture made up of distrust of "bioengineering," GMO, "unnatural" etc? People are trending toward what they perceive as local fresh foods, not lab grown stuff. No matter how safe it is or how good it is for the environment :(

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can even buy pretty good veggie burgers in the supermarket. they're kinda pricey tho. but i've definitely started consuming less meat recently. it helps that my girlfriend is a vegetarian!

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the chicken substitues taste pretty "unique", but there are loads of products available that either have their own great flavor ( vegetable patties, veggie cordon blue) or taste pretty close to a well seasoned pattie (like the beyond meat burger). Texture is great with that one, close to meat, not too most or dry. A lot of umami. The plain chicken replacements I'm not a big fan of. Too salty, very chewy, and kind of a fish sauce taste to me.

Interesting, guess I'd have to give it a try before I could comment on if I'd be able to switch or not

OP
OP

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
In the Netherlands, these two chicken (fillet) substitutes are great with some of the best meat like texture I've had. Plus, they're local super market brands, so not expensive at all:

Who would even notice if there is no longer meat in a Frikandel?
They actually have some substitutes in the super markets in NL and these taste pretty good: http://www.beckers.nl/assortiment/veggie-snacks/veggie-oven-frikandellen

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
In the Netherlands, these two chicken (fillet) substitutes are great with some of the best meat like texture I've had. Plus, they're local super market brands, so not expensive at all:

They actually have some substitutes in the super markets in NL and these taste pretty good: http://www.beckers.nl/assortiment/veggie-snacks/veggie-oven-frikandellen

Yeah that was what I was trying to say, the ones that are not just plain chicken are pretty good. The "kipstukjes" is what I was referring to. Still get them from time to time, pretty good protein contents.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely been eating less red meat and more vegetarian dishes over the last two years. Mostly out of health concerns. I don't love those veggie burgers, sausages and other replacements though. I'm all about that vegetarian curry life.

OP
OP

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
What are some good companies to invest in that trade in pseudo-meat?
You just missed the Beyond Meat IPO if you didn't invest in it already. The share price skyrocketed in its first months. No clue where it'll go from now though, but that'd be a good choice.

A big pseudo meat player in the Netherlands (Vegetarian Butcher) was recently purchashed by one of the biggest food companies in the world (Unilever), which apparently is the 'least bad' of the huge foodstuffs companies, but still veggie or climate positive products are a small amount of their portfolio.

I'm sure there'll be more pseudo meat company IPO's in the future though after the successful launch of Beyond Meat.

Last edited:

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Eating less meat; not none, but less. Impossible burgers are great.

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
I loved my meat, but stopped eating it two-three years ago due to the animal cruelty involved. I support the 'green meat' initiatives though, where animals are treated properly, from birth to slaughterhouse, and I would actually eat such meat, but considering I do not miss eating meat at all, I haven't made use of the opportunity yet. Also, the meat substitutes are sometimes really well done, like hamburgers. But mostly we just eat more vegetables and got more creative with food as well. I love cooking so I can imagine that such a shift would be difficult for some people who don't really care about that.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the obvious outcome when people are presented with an ethical, more environmentally friendly, and relatively viable alternative to real meat

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
RealisticAngryCarp-size_restricted.gif

Hell yeah. That's awesome. These last few years have been great as a vegetarian.

scaffa

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, ban the frikandel. Since late last year I only eat meat maybe once or twice a month and I really don't miss it at all. And I ate meat daily and quite a lot of it. The meat substitutes are tasty and in some cases even cheaper.

Great news.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is up with banning the frikandel? It is made of meat that normally would be thrown away. At least now it is used :P

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great news. Need to bring that beef % down some more though.

Plant based alternatives really have come a long way the past few years.