• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well not buy the game with that kind of opinion.

I'm happy to give money over if there is a balance in play that makes sense, but from what we know about the towers and krypt grind, this is way beyond a balanced approach.

That's always an option, sure, but I mean generally--I think it's healthy to understand that every corporation's goal is to make a profit for its owners, not to be nice to its consumers.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
"Fix"
giphy.gif

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but it was intended to be like this on release. Them saying they'll look into this on the Kast goes to show its not something they just forgot about until the last second. The grind was meant to be as real as possible to frustrate you into paying up to skip it.

It's shocking that people actually believe the BS that the developer had no clue how their own game mode was balanced lol

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully they acknowledged it, some of the early reviews likely forced their hand. Or should I say WBs hand.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure WB mandated that it be this way, and when the reviews finally hit, the developers were able to show the suits that the metacritic was heavily damaged by the monetization/grind BS. Now they were given the go ahead to be able to fix it at least in part, hopefully before release.

May 26, 2018
That's always an option, sure, but I mean generally--I think it's healthy to understand that every corporation's goal is to make a profit for its owners, not to be nice to its consumers.

Except treating customers like garbage is completely unnecessary. Money can be made with respect for other human beings. That's why people are pissed. Context exists. If all games were like this, no one would be around to get angry.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well with Derek was on the game informer podcast he said that nrs watched everywhere and name dropped gamefaqs. If they are watching there I have no doubt they are watching here. They saw the uproar and knew they had to do something. Not to mention we saw reviewers mention and clearly knock off points from the games score for this
Jesus christ I feel bad for Derek. The most popular GameFaqs threads in the last few days have been:
"Females bad. Where are boobs?" - 80 pages
"We had straight romance in story. Is gay romance okay to put in story now?" - 40 pages
"Jax story mode is woke" - 60 pages
"Shao Kahn donald trump reference" - 40 pages

Oct 28, 2017

Of course corps want to make profit, but they can easily do that making a product that doesn't backfire like an Acme shotgun in the hands of Wile E. Coyote.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They haven't even acknowledged the local play fix with gears and unlocks by player 1 for player 2. Is it just because not many people play local?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Except treating customers like garbage is completely unnecessary. Money can be made with respect for other human beings. That's why people are pissed. Context exists. If all games were like this, no one would be around to get angry.

While I don't disagree at all, we're now getting into subjective stuff. The for profit thing is objective; in fact, it's so objective it's the law--at least in America.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
while we not know what they will change, at least they acknowledged that they will do something, that is good.

a cool move would be: "because we fucked up, besides the changes being applied in the next days/weeks we give every player X amount of crystals to buy themselves some skins or items directly and without hassle when the store goes online" they should also outline the changes they will make

they really have to go out there now and earn some goodwill again, a little "we will fix it" is not worth much these days.

but, all in all, i am glad that there was a response

Oct 28, 2017
It's shocking that people actually believe the BS that the developer had no clue how their own game mode was balanced lol

Yeah, as if QA testers were sitting there playing some sort of test build where they were fed all the credits and consumables needed to bypass the grind. Nobody in the studio noticed the grind until the game went gold, the tunables got flicked on, and the reviews started coming in.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Tried to fuck you once, got caught, apologized, fans said we forgive you.
Tried to fuck you again with the next game, got caught again, apologized again, fans will probably forgive them again.

But not with me, fuck off Netherrealm.

May 26, 2018
While I don't disagree at all, we're now getting into subjective stuff. The for profit thing is objective; in fact, it's so objective it's the law--at least in America.

I'm debating you because you've said that everything is made to fuck the player. I'm telling you that this isn't true. There are games that are made to both be fun and make money. And they make a lot of money. And are fun.

Doom. The Witcher 3. Skyrim. Shit, MKX was still like this "back in the day."

DLC and microtransactions are options that can fuck over the player, but it doesn't mean a company is enslaved to them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Step in the right direction but my day 1 trust in NRS going forward is compromised now. That's a disappointment and a bit of a shame, but I guess it was only a matter of time with WB Games overlooking shit.

Glad they acknowledged it and acknowledged it early (prior to release), but still gotta wait to see the extent of the change and the timeliness of its rollout. It's a positive that it was acknowledged for sure, but gonna need receipts now to make it stick.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Good they are "working on it", but yeah this was totally a "we wanted to see if we get away with this obtuse shit and sell some accelerators, but now that there is a strong online undercurrent forming around our game that we are excessively being money grubbing bastards, we don't want our sales to take a hard hit (ala Battlefront 2 or Middle Earth), so we are going to get out in front of this, and try to look like we are "sensivitve" to this issue.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I swear it's the same tactic those publishers do every time...

1.Come out with some bullshit that they know will piss people off but we don't care bc "Fuck you give me money" but not put it into the game YET
2.Create something even worse and put it in the game expecting people to complain so then they can go to step 3
3.Downgrade from the worse bs to less-worse bs(which was their original plan btw) so that people can praise them bc "They listened to the fans, yay"

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious - are they lying in the stream?

Not necessarily, but ultimately this is a WB decision and the point where all this stuff gets rolled back could be months from now.

How long did it take for WB to react to the backlash that was the end game of Shadow of War?

I'm debating you because you've said that everything is made to fuck the player. I'm telling you that this isn't true. There are games that are made to both be fun and make money. And they make a lot of money. And are fun.

DLC and microtransactions are options that can fuck over the player, but it doesn't mean a company is enslaved to them.

FWIW - the publishers don't want to make a lot of money. They want to make "All the money", which is why the abuse of GAAS systems will never stop and we'll keep seeing this type of fuckery over and over again.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't wanna be negative or a conspiracy theorist but them changing it this fast makes me think that they at the very least had a clue this was going to go over like a fart in church.

Dec 15, 2017
I hope they reduce the grinding Even below injustice 2 levels but thats not gonna happen. If not, i'll keep playing injustice 2 until i can get the XL edition with a steep discount

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
These are great news. NRS is really good listening to the community and gathering feedback. They also did this alot in terms of general gameplay.

Game isnt even out yet and they responded as soon as possible.

As somebody who already has the game i can see how they intended the buff items they constantly drop to counter the tower modifiers but it didnt work out like they expected.

But like expected i can see some of you here will never be happy and always gonna think the man wants to rip you off at any chance and you gotta stick it to him.

If they would want to "fuck you over" they wouldnt give you more content than any MK ever WITHOUT the towers stuff.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they are doing exactly what people wanted them to do and we have people on here STILL complaining.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I think I was a bit hyperbolic when I said "fuck the player," so I'll agree with you there.

I do believe every corporation's goal is, first and foremost, to separate you from your wallet, and I'm not going to sit around and say that's something that's nice. But it's certainly not predatory (arguably).

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
So they are doing exactly what people wanted them to do and we have people on here STILL complaining.

I mean, people wanted them to not abuse the system. From the sounds of things and from their history, this seems like they're just abusing it "less."

That's still not favorable.

May 26, 2018
Not necessarily, but ultimately this is a WB decision and the point where all this stuff gets rolled back could be months from now.

How long did it take for WB to react to the backlash that was the end game of Shadow of War?

FWIW - the publishers don't want to make a lot of money. They want to make "All the money", which is why the abuse of GAAS systems will never stop and we'll keep seeing this type of fuckery over and over again.

Which is why we have to keep making a stink.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Derek and Tyler, and 16 Bit and Dizzy all wanted to make a fun, engaging fighting game with a lot of content to keep players busy for ever. But NRS also wants to outdo itself with every game.

You don't get to make fighting games with budgets of 100s of millions of dollars in current year, not without a few promises and compromises. Boon must've promised WB an amount of revenue that is probably not possible without MTX. That's the world we live in.

I don't think anybody at NRS did this out of malice, even Boon. This is the state of the AAA industry and late state capitalism. If you want a fair and honest and wholesome fighting game, you're looking at the budget of something like the games that come out of Japan. Forget the hollywood bombastic story mode or the 30 different masks and 60 skins per fighter.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

One of those proof in the pudding things. People will need to test out Towers and Krypt after the hotfix is out. I can understand the cynicism but some people act like NRS kicked their puppies into a ditch.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

I have been playing the game for some days now. To make the whole experience much better, they only need to change the difficulty of the single player towers.
TBH the grind itself is not as bad as it sounds, the problem is mainly that the towers you need to grind are extremely hard to complete, frustrating and plainly not fun most of the time.
The towers actually give you decent amounts of ingame currency, it's just that they are sometime impossible to complete.

That means, they don't even have to change anything about the monetization or currencies itself at least in the short term. Fixing only the difficulty of the towers would make the game immensely more rewarding very quickly.

At least for a hotfix-type of situation.
To be clear: the game would be a lot better without 7 currencies and a RNG krypt BUT it is not as intrusive as it may sound on pape if the way of grinding (towers) would not be so frustrating.

Last edited:

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
They haven't even acknowledged the local play fix with gears and unlocks by player 1 for player 2. Is it just because not many people play local?

Ugh really. I hate that me and the wife can't just have everything for both players when we want to play 2 player. God I'm so sick of games not being like they used to.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I don't wanna be negative or a conspiracy theorist but them changing it this fast makes me think that they at the very least had a clue this was going to go over like a fart in church.

could very well be a case of a"let´s try to push it further than ever before" gamble but somehow it backfired this time and it cost them a few reviews and a better metacritic score.

would be really shady tbh...but it shows what is wrong with games nowadays if they are risking positive reviews and happy users for more gain

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I have been playing the game for some days now. To make the whole experience much better, they only need to change the difficulty of the single player towers.
TBH the grind itself is not as bad as it sounds, the problem is mainly that the towers you need to grind are extremely hard to complete, frustrating and plainly not fun most of the time.
The towers actually give you decent amounts of ingame currency, it's just that they are sometime impossible to complete.

That means, they don't even have to change anything about the monetization or currencies itself, but only the difficulty of the towers, to make the game immensely more rewarding very quickly.

I'll take your word for that, I certainly don't have the game yet. Though I doubt the towers will be altered in a day 1 patch.

But I'm willing to table my argument for another 7 hours. We'll find out tonight.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol as soon as I heard about monetization bullshit in this game that made me decide not to touch it with a 50-foot pole.

I won't tolerate any of that in a game I am asked to I pay $60+ for.
Derek and Tyler, and 16 Bit and Dizzy all wanted to make a fun, engaging fighting game with a lot of content to keep players busy for ever. But NRS also wants to outdo itself with every game.

You don't get to make fighting games with budgets of 100s of millions of dollars in current year, not without a few promises and compromises. Boon must've promised WB an amount of revenue that is probably not possible without MTX. That's the world we live in.

I don't think anybody at NRS did this out of malice, even Boon. This is the state of the AAA industry and late state capitalism. If you want a fair and honest and wholesome fighting game, you're looking at the budget of something like the games that come out of Japan. Forget the hollywood bombastic story mode or the 30 different masks and 60 skins per fighter.
Cool, but they won't get my money. There are enough awesome games out there that don't beg me for more money after I've already given them $60.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, people wanted them to not abuse the system. From the sounds of things and from their history, this seems like they're just abusing it "less."

That's still not favorable.

"abusing" sure. Couldn't be that internal testing caused them to miss the mark a bit and now that its in the wild the feedback they are getting is different from what they expected. Like we have people in this thread going full blown conspiracy theory.

I'll take your word for that, I certainly don't have the game yet. Though I doubt the towers will be altered in a day 1 patch.

But I'm willing to table my argument for another 7 hours. We'll find out tonight.

Hotfix. Not a patch big difference there. They literally just have to push new code live.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Nice to hear that they're already working on the issues. I guess now we wait to see when any changes are actually implemented.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

That means, they don't even have to change anything about the monetization or currencies itself, but only the difficulty of the towers, to make the game immensely more rewarding very quickly.

Yeah this.

As I've mentioned before, the following fixes should be sufficient:
1) Make all assists blockable.
2) Bosses should have extra health and damage but no assists. Fights where you do fight CPU using hazards or assists should not reduce your damage output.