• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
An easier fix is maybe don't design your game around 7 goddamn currencies.
Meanwhile, back in 2002...

255148-mortal-kombat-deadly-alliance-playstation-2-screenshot-purchase.png

The two of you are equating a single skin with the largest core of the SP experience, designed far in advance.

I do not believe this is a helpful comparison.
It's an example, not a 1:1 to the current situation.

I mean, if you want me to just list all the ways the NRS team has listened to fans in the past, I could happily spend an hour talking about it, from how they listened to the feedback of players to better respect female character designs, to being more inclusive and diverse in representation, to embracing fan rumors and fan-characters to make characters like Skarlet canon, to constantly fixing things people point out like their faces (from worst to best in the industry), to listening to the criticisms of their animations (MK11 is MASSIVELY improved over MK9), to embracing single-player beyond any of their competition and releasing their games feature-filled instead of bare bones, to listening to criticisms of their netcode to make it arguably the gold standard netcode in fighting games today, to an outpouring of often free DLC updates, costumes, and stages, etc, etc. I really could go on.

There's a reason the MK community is often one of the friendliest and most inclusive groups I've ever run with.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So they are doing exactly what people wanted them to do and we have people on here STILL complaining.
We've also had games reported to be awful, released and seen to be not nearly as bad, and people still complain. If it's remotely tied to monetization, some will never let up the fight.

I'm glad to hear they're looking at it at least. I'm buying the game either way for story and online with friends. Tower and crypt stuff was always icing for me.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Meanwhile, back in 2002...

255148-mortal-kombat-deadly-alliance-playstation-2-screenshot-purchase.png

While I still believe that is ugly and inelegant design which is what you are talking about I suppose, but it's still deterministic and pretty quick. 15 hours or so right? It's a video game designed for you play and experience what you came for in a manner that respects your time. Not to mention there isn't even the option to pay real money.

Either there is some greed going on here or there is a massive issue with how these studios are ran. If it is costing them more to make the base game then they can make back in full price game sales then something needs to change.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
But what kind of fix will the pissed up people actually be satisfied with? The one that gets you all the skins you want in a couple of hours? People are now so angry that I'm not sure any fix will satisfy them unless they get everything they want in a jiffy.

People need to stop looking at Towers of Time as just a hindrance to getting the costumes they want for their main. While I hope they fix some of the too frustratingly difficult towers, as a single player guy I WANT Towers of Time to last for a long time. I don't care if I don't get the Liu Kang costume I want for a while. They need to space the unlocks out or else there's nothing to work towards.

what a bunch of strawmanning nonsense lol

May 26, 2018
what a bunch of strawmanning nonsense lol

I remember when ME3 came out, there were people saying everyone who was unhappy with the ending was full of shit because they just wanted a super-duper happy ending with cakes and unicorns and babies.

These same arguments seem to repeat. I guess that's why some ancient Greek jerk tried to teach people about rhetoric. Good job, ancient jerk. You really pulled through.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And I suppose you remember spending money to avoid grinding those currencies for hundreds of hours?
No... that's what the ARCADES were for.

Being so ridiculously hard, challenging, and grindy, that you almost had no choice but to pump hundreds of quarters into a machine to have any hope of making progress.

... Don't be pendantic. The NUMBER of currencies is what I was addressing. I didn't pay a cent for them in 2002 (largely because Deadly Alliance was offline so... impossible), and I don't plan on spending any money on the currencies in this game either, since you can get them through playing the game.

If they're adjusting the numbers to make it more enjoyable prior before release day, then I don't have an issue with it. I'll let you know how "the grind" is after I play it myself after launch.

I remember when ME3 came out, there were people saying everyone who was unhappy with the ending was full of shit because they just wanted a super-duper happy ending with cakes and unicorns and babies.

These same arguments seem to repeat. I guess that's why some ancient Greek jerk tried to teach people about rhetoric. Good job, ancient jerk. You really pulled through.
I asked for a better ending, Bioware listened, made adjustments, released free DLC, and I got a better ending.

Again, there was nothing malicious there. It wasn't handled well in execution, they got feedback, they made adjustments.

NRS isn't ignoring the criticisms. They addressed them head-on and said the community is right and they'll change it, and that's before the game even officially comes out.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Good decision now we wait and see what the fix is. It blows my mind that people think that players can't cause change by criticizing something. Well those naysayer can thank those that do complain for helping to make their game better.

The problem is the damage is kinda done already in the reviews. Why these companies over reach and don't seem to be connected at all with the intense hatred players have against this kind of shit these days, blows my mind. If they were just a little less greedy they could have had a 92 metacritic and a classic on their hands now they are in damage control.

exactly this is the case, i think it is more than fair when customers raise their voices over a product and criticize it loud and clear

i was rubbing my eyes when people were posting "this is a part of games nowadays, look for a new hobby"...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
People say it's all about monetization but Injustice 2 has a terrible grind that they patched to make worse and you couldn't pay your way to get more loot boxes. It was a very odd choice when there was no drawback to them giving things to you freely. And then the premium outfits you actually could spend money on... they made very few of them. NRS just suck at this altogether.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People say it's all about monetization but Injustice 2 has a terrible grind that they patched to make worse and you couldn't pay your way to get more loot boxes. It was a very odd choice when there was no drawback to them giving things to you freely. And then the premium outfits you actually could spend money on... they made very few of them. NRS just suck at this altogether.
To be fair, I played enough Injustice that I was able to earn every premium outfit for free with the sole exception of Bizarro Superman and Bruce Wayne. That's pretty generous, actually.

Why didn't they just make it good in the first place
Because we don't know if they were rushed for time, we don't know the skill-level of the players who playtested it, we don't know if it was an oversight, we don't know if it was designed that way on purpose and they didn't realize how difficult it could be... and also because games are a constant work-in-progress of putting in hundreds of thousands of lines of coding hoping it all comes together, getting feedback, course-correcting, balancing, patching, tweaking, long before launch and in the case of fighting games years after release.

They were told the Towers were too grindy. Review copies said they were too grindy. They listened and are going to fix it.

That's... well, that's pretty normal for any supported game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I swear it's the same tactic those publishers do every time...

1.Come out with some bullshit that they know will piss people off but we don't care bc "Fuck you give me money" but not put it into the game YET
2.Create something even worse and put it in the game expecting people to complain so then they can go to step 3
3.Downgrade from the worse bs to less-worse bs(which was their original plan btw) so that people can praise them bc "They listened to the fans, yay"
You forgot 4. List "no MTX" as a feature for your next game and earn praise for it... It's really sick how this shit works but also kinda funny.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
The two of you are equating a single skin with the largest core of the SP experience, designed far in advance.

I do not believe this is a helpful comparison.
It's an example of NetherRealm studios listening to their players. Which they are also doing currently with MK11. A title that's technically not even released yet.

You have a right to choose where you spend your money, and I by no means am disrespecting that, but your viewpoint on this matter is overzealous in its fanaticism. The language and ideas you're using to express yourself are over the top and consistently based in fantasy.

Exactly where I am right now. They designed it with a manipulative philosophy in mind. Suddenly that philosophy is going to change?

I'll wait and see.
I do not agree with the first half of this post. There are plenty of popular games that aren't as gross as this.
Except treating customers like garbage is completely unnecessary. Money can be made with respect for other human beings. That's why people are pissed. Context exists. If all games were like this, no one would be around to get angry.
I'm debating you because you've said that everything is made to fuck the player. I'm telling you that this isn't true. There are games that are made to both be fun and make money. And they make a lot of money. And are fun.

Doom. The Witcher 3. Skyrim. Shit, MKX was still like this "back in the day."

DLC and microtransactions are options that can fuck over the player, but it doesn't mean a company is enslaved to them.
You don't have to have malice in your heart to hurt people, sure, but lacking scruples helps a lot. And either way, whether on purpose or by accident, it needs to stop. This shit we enjoy just isn't worth the price.
Either that or they suspected what the boundary was and went past it anyway.
How about an untrustworthy design philosophy? Suspicion is warranted when you've just been injured. More, when it's happened more than once.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
cancelled my preorder.... $100 back in my psn wallet.
Then preordered again after this news. - $100 from my wallet.
I tell ya, if ya'll are lyin' NetherRealm...

I will never forgive ya'll or buy anything ya'll make again. So.. be good to us, and fix what you messed up.

May 26, 2018
It's an example of NetherRealm studios listening to their players. Which they are also doing currently with MK11. A title that's technically not even released yet.

You have a right to choose where you spend your money, and I by no means am disrespecting that, but your viewpoint on this matter is overzealous in its fanaticism. The language and ideas you're using to express yourself are over the top and consistently based in fantasy.

Well this is needlessly aggressive. Jesus Christ, dude.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Towers are still fucked. Kollector's first battle in his first tower is against Noob Saibot with the following modifiers:
Pillar of flame - fire spurts from certain spots on the ground. Standing on it makes you take burn damage
Darkness aura - get close to Noob saibot, and it turns your screen dark.

I can imagine someone beating the tutorial towers and trying out Kollector's tower for his gear, and this being the first fight is quite bad. It's not the worst fight in the world. I can do this pretty easily if I could pick Noob here, but seeing as how Kollector is a short to mid range character, these modifiers don't fit him at all

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
"And we would have got away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling kids"

Happy they are looking to fix it, hopefully they make it more fair but it should never have been like this in the first place.

Developers making things stupidly difficult and grindy, just to try to get people to spend more money, is a really shitty practice.

I'll pick up the GOTY Edition next year, saving money on the DLC and hopefully they will have made it more fair by then too.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Towers are still fucked. Kollector's first battle in his first tower is against Noob Saibot with the following modifiers:
Pillar of flame - fire spurts from certain spots on the ground. Standing on it makes you take burn damage
Darkness aura - get close to Noob saibot, and it turns your screen dark.

I can imagine someone beating the tutorial towers and trying out Kollector's tower for his gear, and this being the first fight is quite bad. It's not the worst fight in the world. I can do this pretty easily if I could pick Noob here, but seeing as how Kollector is a short to mid range character, these modifiers don't fit him at all

I would think whatever they are doing will take more than a few hours to implement. I expect a Twitter post or something when the changes (?) take effect.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would think whatever they are doing will take more than a few hours to implement. I expect a Twitter post or something when the changes (?) take effect.
Yeah you're right. I was just hoping the low tier towers would at least be fixed because a lot of players are going to be experiencing them now.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah you're right. I was just hoping the low tier towers would at least be fixed because a lot of players are going to be experiencing them now.

Me too, then I got touch-of-death'ed/stun locked to infinity by Raiden in the first missile-strike modifier fight (can't remember the tower) and decided to call it a night ;)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Fix", as if the current state of things is somehow an accident, and not precisely as they intended it to be.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
OK, we'll see.
This was very fast though, the game isn't even barely out yet and reviews are mostly glowing. I figured they'd wait until the Jim Sterling smackdown video.

This reminds me of that technique where an artist will draw 2 concepts - the one they actually want to get through - which is a bit too extreme to be accepted - and one that is intentionally FAR too extreme. They present the worst one first, so it can understandably be rejected, and the less severe one will now be accepted.
Is there a term or word for this?

May 26, 2018
"Fix", as if the current state of things is somehow an accident, and not precisely as they intended it to be.

If it was designed this way from the start, it would require a lot of effort to truly change it. At least... I'm guessing it would. I don't think there's a binary switch to revert it to a more reasonable state.

But you're right, the desire would have to be there.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK, we'll see.
This was very fast though, the game isn't even barely out yet and reviews are mostly glowing. I figured they'd wait until the Jim Sterling smackdown video.

This is only fast in normie land. The degenerates on Testyourmight, reddit, twitter and gamefaqs have been blowing them up on it for 3-4 days now.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
What game? Injustice 2? They game i didnt drop a penny additionally on and unlocked every it has to over after a month?

You unlocked everying in a month of Injustice 2?

I simply do not believe you unless you are talking about for one chatacter and even that would be a stretch.

I played the game on two consoles and it took hundreds upon hundreds of hours of relentless grinding to get most sets, the shaders, etc checking the 3-hr rotating MV constantly for ability and shader multiverses. I have in the thousands of hours and am still missing some epic sets.

One of the reasons I was so irritated by this system is because I have been there done that with their last game and it was terrible.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, we'll see.

This reminds me of that technique where an artist will draw 2 concepts - the one they actually want to get through - which is a bit too extreme to be accepted - and one that is intentionally FAR too extreme. They present the worst one first, so it can understandably be rejected, and the less severe one will now be accepted.
Is there a term or word for this?

sneaky cunt.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
You unlocked everying in a month of Injustice 2?

I simply do not believe you unless you are talking about for one chatacter and even that would be a stretch.

I played the game on two consoles and it took hundreds upon hundreds of hours of relentless grinding to get most sets, the shaders, etc checking the 3-hr rotating MV constantly for ability and shader multiverses. I have in the thousands of hours and am still missing some epic sets.

One of the reasons I was so irritated by this system is because I have been there done that with their last game and it was terrible.
I gave up getting the gear I wanted, after who knows how many hours of mindless grinding. It's garbage, plain and simple. It needs to be criticized even if NRS cheerleaders get upset.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
After DOA6 and this it's promising that we can get devs to turn these these things around so soon after launch.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After DOA6 and this it's promising that we can get devs to turn these these things around so soon after launch.

I'm more impressed with NRS because regardless of the towers, MK11 is filled with content.

DOA6 is one of the laziest sequels I've ever played and the content therein is bare bones. The outfits are like 75% of the SP experience.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm more impressed with NRS because regardless of the towers, MK11 is filled with content.

DOA6 is one of the laziest sequels I've ever played and the content therein is bare bones. The outfits are like 75% of the SP experience.

Agreed but the DOA6 publisher/devs are definitely known to be one of the scummiest for milking their fans so it was a miracle to see them even do anything.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Meh I'm ok grinding it out, but I do want the difficulty to be fair if not adjustable. If they say they are going to tweak it I believe them.

Netherrealm is known for adjusting their games pretty quickly in response to player/fan feed back. Heck most recently was the beta, people said the movement speed was too low and they adjusted it. Give these guys some credit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I would be absolutely shocked if this was Netherealms fault and not Warner Bros.

Fuck Warner Bros.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
why is it always a one sided issue with grinding and MTX with these companies? a game never launches with progression that's too easy or not grindy enough

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
So they are doing exactly what people wanted them to do and we have people on here STILL complaining.

People have the right to complain until the problem is fixed. I have a feeling they're just gonna make it slightly less bad than it is right now, because there's no way the system wasn't intentionally designed to squeeze money out of people and they're not just gonna throw all that money away.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
good on NRS,
the game will be out in 1 hour and they are saying that they will fix this ASAP.

that's a good response IMO. The Reviews must have hit them

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I can fully believe the towers of time being fuck awful is not intended.

The Krypt however is going to be a miserable grind and nothing is going to change on that front.

Oct 27, 2017
Them netherrealm boys testing the waters with their filthy micro... huh, mikrotransactions, I see. I do not believe for a bit this was unintentional, it is by design. And, as Khezu pointed out above, The Krypt is gonna be a miserable lootbox dungeon. So much for "Konquest" mode. My ass is what they can Konquest with this shit.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
But what kind of fix will the pissed up people actually be satisfied with? The one that gets you all the skins you want in a couple of hours? People are now so angry that I'm not sure any fix will satisfy them unless they get everything they want in a jiffy.

People need to stop looking at Towers of Time as just a hindrance to getting the costumes they want for their main. While I hope they fix some of the too frustratingly difficult towers, as a single player guy I WANT Towers of Time to last for a long time. I don't care if I don't get the Liu Kang costume I want for a while. They need to space the unlocks out or else there's nothing to work towards.

I am not trying to rag on you or anything but you know-- you could work towards getting better at the online portion of the game. but I'm not mad at you-- NRS has been catering to this type of mentality really hard starting with IJ2.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
So are there any easier towers to play? Or does it just go from tutorial difficulty -> being screwed six ways till Sunday. With the multiverse, there was some indicator of hard it would be beforehand.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when they said the PC Port would be good for MKX and that was trash. They didn't even bother releasing all the DLC on that version.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I still dont condone this crazy tower grind. I thought the grind in IJ2 was already over the top

But.... I loved IJ2 dearly. I put in over 200 hrs. So I just preordered MK11 on PS4.

I just want to play the Story mode and online modes. No Tower grinding unless it's fixed. I jsut wont have any fancy outfits. It's gonna burn a little but whatevs what can you do. edit: Well sure I could 'punish' NRS and not buy the game but I know I'm going to prob love this thing like I did MKx and IJ1/IJ2 so thats what is. Definitely don't blame others for bowing out tho.