• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone had experience with it?

I was being pitched by a coworker and her husband at a meetup in a Starbucks and didn't even realize it. They gave me a book to read, it was interesting but afterwards I realized what was happening.

We had another meeting planned and I had to postpone she called me and said 'it doesn't seem like your priotizing your financial independence' and all this other guilt trip stuff to the point that I had to point out what that first meeting was and how I felt silly for thinking she was just doing me a favor, and not realizing what was happening.

"We don't ever want people to feel like we're recruiting them, we just want to help people the same way *blank* and *blank* helped us"

She had a great speech to make me feel like I was throwing away a huge opportunity, and admittedly they were good storytellers/salespeople.

So please tell me your experiences and reinforce the fact that the whole point is to pitch it you that way, and make you feel bad for passing it up. Obviously many people get wealthy doing it, but it's not common, right?

Last edited:

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go for it. Everybody always has success with them plus it makes you feel good providing a needed service.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like pyramid scheme bullshit.

If it's full of all sorts of creepy and manipulative language like "why won't you take these great deals? You're so stupid for not seeing this great offer I'm making just for you" then it's definitely some scammy shit that you should stay away from.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll know it's truly bullshit as soon as they tell you how much it's gong to cost upfront.

OP
OP
Tophat Jones

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Era.

With your help I'll toil away 40 hours a week for 40 years at a mediocre job. Just need you by my side.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if they truly were successful with it, then they wouldn't even be your coworker, right?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow ERA, thanks to all of you for coming to this thread. I hope you're all interested in making good money and being your own boss. Now can I interest any of you in knives or energy drinks? The starter package is $500.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Not just a MLM, but Amway - the cult of MLMs. The couple pitching in a Starbucks, giving you a book to read, is their standard MO. They also usually talk about their 'mentor', who inevitably is a person who supposedly became financially independent in their mid-20s by slinging Amway crap.

It should go without saying, but MLMs are all bad news, especially Amway. Run far away.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Also called Multi Level Marketing I beleive
G3bgtla.gif

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Not just a MLM, but Amway - the cult of MLMs. The couple pitching in a Starbucks, giving you a book to read, is their standard MO. They also usually talk about their 'mentor', who inevitably is a person who supposedly became financially independent in their mid-20s by slinging Amway crap.

It should go without saying, but MLMs are all bad news, especially Amway. Run far away.

One guy from there wearing a spiffy black rimmed hat and jacket tried poaching former retail coworkers one shift. You could sense the shadiness rolling off him. He tried me and I figured it was some kind of scheme. At one point I was like "may I ask which company you are from?" He said Amway and I let out s confirming "ohhh" outloud. He wondered if I heard of them and I was just like "....yeah I've heard of them online". He finally left.

I've never encountered these people at coffee places. Work? Check. Gyms? Check. Grocery stores? Doubke check.

OP
OP
Tophat Jones

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if they truly were successful with it, then they wouldn't even be your coworker, right?
shes retiring within the year. Once her 'asset' is generating enough income.

I thought she was setting me up with some awesome investment tip or something 😐 I'm such a sucker...

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the product was actually good, they'd be selling it in stores. They need to sucker people in for the same reasons as Scientology, really.

Being your own boss is great. I'm my own boss. But I sell a service that people actually want to buy. This MLM stuff is junk everyone hates.

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
So I hate to bump an old thread but I just realized I'm being suckered into one of these. A guy recommended a book 'The Go Getter' for me to read and talk about it on our next meetup. How should I proceed with this?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So I hate to bump an old thread but I just realized I'm being suckered into one of these. A guy recommended a book 'The Go Getter' for me to read and talk about it on our next meetup. How should I proceed with this?

Ask him for a loan to start up the business. Say you will give him 50% of the profits but do all the work.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017

Ask him to open up his books and show you how much he's making vs how much he's spending. Most of these people lose money. The "consultants" that get stuck in pyramid schemes are the primary customer.

The people you hear about who make livable money got in early and have to work hard hassling their downline. The people who make good money are the people who end up getting speaking fees for the events where they charge people to come in and learn sales secrets for this nonsense. They don't actually make much on the product.

The biggest red flag for these is the people trying to recruit you often won't tell you what it is upfront because they don't want you doing research. These companies have to disclose what their victims make, and for 98% of them, it's nothing. They don't want you googling the bad experiences. They want to get you into that first meeting and sign your name under the $500 (or $5000 for some of them) starter kit because you're the real customer and not an entrepreneur like they claim.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
is he a close friend/relative? because multi-level marketing businesses are pyramid schemes that figured out how to do the bare minimum to be legal. if he's a stranger or distant acquaintance just ghost him because he's trying to fleece you

these things aren't businesses recruiting franchisees. their product is the dream of being a business mogul. the customers are the people who sign up to become the reps. you can only make a solid income if you get in early, and even then that income is based on ruining the lives of people in the lower layers of the pyramid.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, the old reverse funnel system.

IT'S A SCAM! Ask yourself why none of your other friends take it as a personal affront that you're not "prioritizing your financial independence."

*They* want *you* to make *them* money (and pay them upfront for the "opportunity", lol.)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Younger 21 yo me would've loved reading this thread. I got sucked into one of these shit, it's fun but you don't make money lol Luckily my friends knew what I was trying to do and didn't ditched me for annoying them. Later they said I was stupid, which I agreed lol

Son. Just don't.

moneywoes

Nov 17, 2017
Ask him to open up his books and show you how much he's making vs how much he's spending. Most of these people lose money. The "consultants" that get stuck in pyramid schemes are the primary customer.

The people you hear about who make livable money got in early and have to work hard hassling their downline. The people who make good money are the people who end up getting speaking fees for the events where they charge people to come in and learn sales secrets for this nonsense. They don't actually make much on the product.

The biggest red flag for these is the people trying to recruit you often won't tell you what it is upfront because they don't want you doing research. These companies have to disclose what their victims make, and for 98% of them, it's nothing. They don't want you googling the bad experiences. They want to get you into that first meeting and sign your name under the $500 (or $5000 for some of them) starter kit because you're the real customer and not an entrepreneur like they claim.

He hasn't talked about any of the business yet but I think that's what the next meeting is going to be about based on what I've read online. He hasn't said anything upfront besides talk about intrinsic motivation, building great leaders etc stuff like that.

is he a close friend/relative? because multi-level marketing businesses are pyramid schemes that figured out how to do the bare minimum to be legal. if he's a stranger or distant acquaintance just ghost him because he's trying to fleece you

these things aren't businesses recruiting franchisees. their product is the dream of being a business mogul. the customers are the people who sign up to become the reps. you can only make a solid income if you get in early, and even then that income is based on ruining the lives of people in the lower layers of the pyramid.

No, he isn't a close friend at all. Just was a customer at a temp event I was working at and we struck up a conversation and he took down my # and asked to meet. He seemed pretty affluent and very interesting to talk too ( I can tell he knows how to sell things / talk to people). Started talking about what I wanted to do in my life and then how a solid income is critical towards that.

I will definitely be upfront and ask him how much he makes if he mentions anything. He is being very vague so far and I can't help but feel bummed since I've never had a mentor figure in my life and the one time someone offers to do something like that, their trying to get me into a MLM scheme :/

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MLM is dangerous. Unfortunately i have a friend that got sucked in pretty bad by it. He even dropped out of college in hopes that he find success in an obvious get rich quick scheme. They have this cult-like mentality where no negativity or doubt is allowed in the group, so my friend completely defies logic and stand by his "team" through anything. It's honestly disgusting and needs to be illegal here in the States.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
He hasn't talked about any of the business yet but I think that's what the next meeting is going to be about based on what I've read online. He hasn't said anything upfront besides talk about intrinsic motivation, building great leaders etc stuff like that.

No, he isn't a close friend at all. Just was a customer at a temp event I was working at and we struck up a conversation and he took down my # and asked to meet. He seemed pretty affluent and very interesting to talk too ( I can tell he knows how to sell things / talk to people). Started talking about what I wanted to do in my life and then how a solid income is critical towards that.

I will definitely be upfront and ask him how much he makes if he mentions anything. He is being very vague so far and I can't help but feel bummed since I've never had a mentor figure in my life and the one time someone offers to do something like that, their trying to get me into a MLM scheme :/
I guarantee if you look up the name of the company you'll find horror stories and disclosure forms that show almost no one making money.

And if he's hiding the company name from you? Even bigger red flag.

But yeah that feeling of being special is why the con can be so lucrative. I'm sorry. I know the emotional appeal is powerful.

Nov 9, 2017
So funny this thread exists. Rode the elevator with a couple just yesterday that tried to sell me on network marketing. We talked about how expensive the area is and how crushing student loan debt can be, and that's when they started going in pitching me this idea on my way to my car.

My advice having now run into 6 people like this and personally knowing a handful of people who've got sucked into it, STAY THE FUCK AWAY.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The best part about all these MLM companies is that they are required to disclose financial stats - and if you look at them you can see just how many people are not making money. But it's buried as deep as they can make it.

Social media has only helped these sort of scams, with cosmetics and food supplements being the biggest ones at the moment. And yet stuff like Amway and Avon are somehow still around too. Go figure.

I have a friend who was suckered into Rodan & Fields, and their breakdown is no different than typical MLM:

UPtnS5a.png

12 people were in the top tier. And as this is just earnings we have no idea how much they paid for the garbage they're peddling, so I have no doubt the people in the bottom two tiers are losing money in the end. And yet everyone is convinced they can make a living out of this shit.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

tell him you're illiterate and need him to read the entire book to you.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I just had the same experience. I did read the Go Giver and it was actually an ok book.

What got me was the other book I had to read. It was called Business of the 21st Century or something and the dude was pretentious as fuck. He kept name-dropping Donald Trump which was laughable especially with recent news about his tax returns.

What really got me was when he referred to any friends you have who might talk you out of it who work full time jobs "loser friends." That was when I stopped reading.